Thread: Suez Canal mod

Default Suez Canal mod

There was some discussion on the official forum about this and it seems like a really good idea that's easy to implement. I doubt it'll be in the vanilla game though. Building the canal would have some prerequisites like:
    * possess or be allied with all regions neighboring the Suez isthmus
    * research modern canal building and maintenance
    * spend a -ton of money to build it

The result would be activation of an east/west passage between the Mediterranean Sea and the Indian Ocean that is represented by a virtual "travel hotzone" or whatever they're calling the things that connect different theaters in the ETW grand campaign map. The canal would then become a strategic resource with high value to the AI. It should be possible for the owning faction to set a toll rate for use of the canal so that AI can use it, but at a cost (but much much cheaper and safer than the African route).

Is anybody else interested to see and use this mini-mod?

Default Re: Suez Canal mod

Sounds like a very nice ideal and should also be easy mod some transition zones into the game. Maybe we can even modify the campaign map and to show the canal ingame. But I have no idea how to mod the toll rate into the game or the technologies you mentioned.
    But perhaps we can make a script to make the suezcanal show up like marian reforms in RTW

Default Re: Suez Canal mod

I don't think the engineering capability was feasible for the age. Unless of course you're a late-game superpower that controls all of Europe that can just send two million men to dig. But by that time the need for a canal is kinda pointless as you'll be unstoppable anyways.