Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nakharar's Basics: How to remove "unlocalized placement text"

Default Nakharar's Basics: How to remove "unlocalized placement text"

This is a very easy and short tutorial. If you have a unit added in and you see in custom battle it doesnt have a name and says "unlocalized placement text" just do this:

1) Go to text folder(considering you have converted the files in it) and go to export_units.

2) Add your new unit there in brackets like

{bagaturs}

make sure its perfect in the brackets with right capital letters and perfect spelling then create another after

{bagaturs_descr}

there add the long description you will see on the unit scroll

and the last to add is

{bagaturs_descr_short}

this is the short description you will see in custom battle if you put the cursor on the unit.

Simple and easy

Default Re: Nakharar's Basics: How to remove "unlocalized placement text"

short,sweet,and to the point

IZob's Avatar Citizen

I'm afraid theres a little more to it then just that.

You need to make sure that the name in the export_unit.txt.strings is the same name as in the export_descr_unit.txt file (or 'EDU'). You can find the EDU in the data folder.

Otherwise your adding in a extra name in the export_unit for no reason, and your unit will still have "unlocalised placement text" as it's name.

Within the export_descr_unit.txt file each unit has simular enteries as seen below:

Note: Where there is a ';' the text to the right of the ';' is not read.

type Marshall of the Hospitallers
    dictionary Marshall_of_the_Hospitallers ; Marshall of the Hospitallers
    category cavalry
    class heavy
    voice_type Heavy
    banner faction main_cavalry
    banner holy crusade_cavalry
    soldier Marshall_of_the_Hospitallers, 24, 0, 1
    mount order mailed horse
    mount_effect elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, can_formed_charge, knight, unique_unit
    formation 2, 4.4, 3, 6, 3, square, wedge
    etc ...
    etc ...
    Where it is underlined saying 'dictionary', this line holds the exact name used by the game to find files linked to this unit. In the example above the type name for the unit is: Marshall of the Hospitallers and the Dictionary name is: Marshall_of_the_Hospitallers. The 'type' name is only used as a friendly development tool. It is not specificially addresed by any file. Note: the dictionary name has no spaces.

The Dictionary name is the most important. This name needs to be the same for any file that is to be linked with the unit. For example, in the export_unit.txt.strings file this unit has the following linked descriptions/name:

{Marshall_of_the_Hospitallers_descr_short}Elite Hospitaller Knights chosen to be the Marshall's bodyguard to protect the Hospitaller commander on and off the field of battle.UNIQUE UNIT
    {Marshall_of_the_Hospitallers_descr}These formidable troops are charged with guarding the Marshall of the Hospitallers, commander of the Hospitallers in battle and second only to the Master of the Order. These experienced and hardy veterans are well armoured and fight with lance and sword.UNIQUE UNIT
    {Marshall_of_the_Hospitallers}Marshall of the Hospitallers
    Once again the dictionary name "Marshall_of_the_Hospitallers" is used. Not the 'type' name.
    If the dictionary name in either of the two files are different, that information will not be used (because it is not linked to any unit).

The Dictionary name is used with many different files (texture, skin, animation, text files...), so be sure that the name in the EDU is the same where ever the dictionay name is also used. Otherwise you risk getting a error.

A good tip: Add in one unit at a time. If your mod works correctly and the unit appears fine, move onto the next one. Adding in lots of units and then testing your mod to see if it works, you risk overloading yourself with multiple possible errors coming from many different files.
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

Nihirizumu no tsumetai ame's Avatar Civis
    Side 3, the principality of Zeon, and Miraflores, Lima, Peru

how does one convert export.unit into text form?

Quote Originally Posted by Nihirizumu no tsumetai ame View Post
    how does one convert export.unit into text form?
    You either use a .bin editor and edit it inside and save it but more easy would be handling a .txt file for that you need is strings_bin_converter 0.72 for this to work you need python 2.6 installed on your PC.

After installing python put the three files inside the data\text folder and double click convert_all.bat file to convert the .bin into .txt files.
    Last edited by Ishan; November 17, 2010 at 01:24 AM.

Nihirizumu no tsumetai ame's Avatar Civis
    Side 3, the principality of Zeon, and Miraflores, Lima, Peru

nevermind. thanks for the links
    you are very helpfull my friend
    Last edited by Nihirizumu no tsumetai ame; November 17, 2010 at 02:55 AM.

Foederatus

Is there a way to make txt.string files from edu files?

Strings.bin files are only for text files that resides in the text folder, EDU resides in the data folder so dunno why would you need something that has no purpose.

Foederatus

thing is,I grabbed up an awesome mod which seems to be working for others but im getting "unlocalized placement text" for the names.The only thing outhought mt of place that I have noticed is that my text folder in COW has no .txt.string files at all (the standard folder has em though.I'm just now trying to learn this stuff and I really don't know what the hell I'm doing lol.I have reinstalled everything like 5 or 6 times trying to get it to work.I asked that cuz I thought maybe my comp not making string files was the prob.I've been stuck hunting a solution for this prob for over a week

Can you post a screenshot where you are getting it? Basically you get that when an entry doesn't exists in the export_units.txt file in the data\text folder.

Foederatus

No problem.I took a screenshot but cant find where they are stored.(lol told ya I was a moron...doesnt help when the wifes laughin at me trippin over myself on a pc haha).can U tell me which folder the screenshots are saved to?
    Oh and if it will help its Reiksfarts Khorne and Nurgle mod I've been messin with.from what I have noticed its worked for most peeps but a couple of us have had this issue I think.
    Oh and thanks for taking the time for me.I had about given up hope on gettin it to work right Sorry for being such a Noob.

FIXED IT CUZ YER A GeniuS ISHAN!!!! Whew after a week of tinkering and seeking help its working perfectly,thanks to you all I had to do was delete all the tomb king descriptions from the text folders export_unit file.Thank you sooooo much friend you have no Idea how friggin frustrating that has been !!! You da greatest
    Last edited by Steelmidnight; September 19, 2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: fixed problem

Glad to hear that you sorted it out on your own mate.

Foederatus

Yeah but it wouldn't have happened had you not told me the reason for the likely descrepance.So I had to give thanks and props where due Being stuck may have been a good thing though,I've learned a great deal about how these mod's work.My wife and I have been studying alot of mod tutorials and she is a wizard when it comes to art and photoshop so we may be trying our hands at our own mini-mod in the near future

If you ever need any help on such things then you can PM me or Gigantus. And hopefully we will see you some day releasing your own submod or infact an overhaul mod.

Guys plz help, i cant get strings.bin converter working. Plz help i am very new at this, and i am 15.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Install Python 2.5.4.

i have python 2.7

The thing just flashes and nothing happens.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

The scipts in these tools are too old for 2.7 and newer. Uninstall 2.7 and install 2.5.4.

THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH, YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW MUCH YOU HAVE HELPED ME. YOU SIR ARE GOING TO HEAVEN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast