Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Scipio/Postumus

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Scipio/Postumus

Thank you, Senator.

As for the motion for Ovation, I don't think there will be any opposition. We should consider it passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

In addition to all of this, whoever was supposed to be retraining the legions has wildly neglected his duties. The troops supposed to be retrained are even further from Rome than when I was relieved of their command! I propose this new motion.

SENATVS CONSVLTVM REDIVIVUS LEGIONES

I. All depleted units of Roman infantry will move to Rome for immediate retraining.
    II. A legion will be raised as discussed previously in the Senate immediately through a combination of this retraining and levying of additional troops:

2 Roman Legions:
    1 Hastati.
    1 Principes.
    1 Triarii.
    2 velites.
    1 Cavalry (equites or general if available).

2 Temporary Allied Legions:

2 Pedites.
    1 Hoplite unit.
    1 Italic velite.
    1 Italic cavalry.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Will this bring our strength to three legions?

That was what was discussed earlier by the Senate. Personally, I think we should be going in with a force at the strength of 2 legions and 2 alae, which would be roughly

1 General
    2 Triarii
    2 Principes
    2 Hastati
    3 Velites

3 Pedites
    3 Hoplites
    2 Italic velites
    2 Italic cavalry

I assume you refer to a potential invasion of Sicily? Personally I can't see us needing more than a legion to finish the job in the north.

I could support such a motion, but we would need an estimate as to the cost.

I think we will need quite a few troops. There are two reasonably well-equipped armies to deal with and we must guard against Gaulish invasion. And of course, any spare troops can be sent to the south for the Carthaginian problem.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lepidus perks his head up at the Senators last remark

"'Carthaginian Problem?' We are at war! We have been invaded! We cannot be sending 'spare troops' to fight the biggest empire in the region!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I assure you, senators, that my fellow Consul from the previous year has done his job. The troops are being trained in various cities across the Republic to lessen the monetary burden and to ensure that it can be gathered more quickly. As for my ovation, I shall plan for the coming week.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

I veto any law concerning military matters.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

For what reason, might I ask? Other than your own impending removal from office? I call upon the honourable Tribune Lepidus to use his tribunal veto to overturn this petty and nonsensical act from Marcellus.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

I don't thnk you understand how a veto works Crassus. With half the Senate removed from office, wrongly removed, there can never be a fair and balanced law, especially with one of the Tribunes gone.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

They have not been removed yet. If they had been, your veto would not be worth the air into which it was uttered.

Something suddenly dawned on Marcus

If Praetor Manlius is recalled, as it seems he will be judging by the vote. Shall we not need yet another suffectus praetor? seeing as Krassus is personally involved in the case he can not be judge, is that not right?
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

But even so, Marcellus, the business of Rome cannot be stopped just due to a tribune, a Consul and a praetor being accused. What if Carthage was to turn up on our doorstep now? Would you still veto a motion of war? I cannot stop you using your veto, but Tribune, for the sake of Rome, not just yourself and the other accused, withdraw your veto.

Sidonius has a fair point. Though I do say I support Scipio and Lepidus for the moment, I believe that I can be a fair judge when it comes to the actual trial. Do remember that I have a foot in the other camp as well. Marcus Manlius is my client.

I would also like to stand for the position, if only to have two options to choose between.

Also i do not have any particular connection with any of the involved, political or otherwise.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Marcellus save yourself a shred of dignity, for the love of Jupiter. Now you play the role of a child, not that it matters, as the Senatus Consultus Expellatus has passed, and you have been stripped of rank.

But gentlemen, we now find ourselves at a bit of an impasse. I am sole consul, we have nut one praetor, again, and one tribune.

For now we can live without a Pontifex Maximus, but we must look forward. For my part I will say the most pressing matter is finding a new Consul. I in no way intend to act as any sort of dictator and it will look bad to the people if I appear to be doing so unless there is an official vote. I do not encourage this, as we do not need a dictator.

I agree that the overseer and judge of the trial should be Ahenobarbus, if he can assure us he is fair.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; March 02, 2009 at 04:57 AM.

Well then let us get this war going, shall we men?

I do not like having to condone it, but now it has been all but decided that we shall have war then it is my duty to help make sure it progresses as efficiently as possible.

As it seems the units are being trained, the ships built and legions readied, now all that remains is giving our commanders their Imperium to wage war. We shall need commanders and troops for our objectives, let us define clearly what they are.

Men, what are our goals in this war? what do we hope to achieve in the short and long term. How much are we prepared to risk and loose in doing this?

We now go to war, and we should do so knowing and accounting for the fact that every single soldier we send out may get killed, we can not enter into this halfheartedly.

Yes Tiberius, and I laud you for your sense.

First and foremost, I think we will agree, is that we must annex the Etruscan settlements of Arminium and Arretium, for their good and ours. We must bring all Italics under one banner of surely they will not survive a Gallic invasion. If Italy is united, it is very likely the Gauls will think twice before invading it.

After this objective is completed it is my thought that we should raise a flotilla of ships and sail for Sicily to do was against Carthage.

Marcus sighs

While i see the strategical importance of those northern cities, as well as the convenience value it would bring us i do not think there is enough cause for war on them. However as the tribune has withdrawn his veto and this senate as a whole seems agreed on the fact that we should annex the cities it is my opinion that if they are to be taken, they should be taken as swiftly as possible, with enough force to defeat their respective field and garrison armies without too long of a campaign.

That means, allotting enough troops to the campaign to ensure an as easy as possible campaign, else we could face a long engagement which would weaken our position against Carthage.

So, if this senate thinks the strategic value of these northern cities is great enough to risk such an operation, and allotment of troops, we should go for it, and soon.
    Last edited by Snowball; March 02, 2009 at 05:23 AM.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Push North men! Free the etruscans and protect Italia from the Gauls and Phoenicians alike! A united Italia has the strength to repel any nation!
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!