Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Scipio/Postumus

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Re: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Scipio/Postumus

Shall the motion granting Volero a Consular legion to wage war on the Carthaginians be voted on? We are only losing precious time while we debate the motion further.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lepidus storms into the Curia, walking quickly, and goes to his seat. There he begins to speak.

I hereby veto any motion giving power to Consul Volero, and move for the immediate recall of Consul Quintus Volero Postumus, Praetor Marcus Manlius, Tribune of the Plebs Marcus Clodius Marcellus, and Pontifex Maximus Claudius Varius Gallus.

I have been given damning evidence that these men are involved in a power grabbing conspiracy, and will file charges with the suffectus Praetor as soon as he is elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

I second this motion.

Tiberius was very surprised by this from Lepidus and stood to speak.

I do not say i don`t believe you Lepidus, but surely you do not expect this senate to act on your words without seeing evidence?

These are serious claims and a very serious motion, i do not think the rest of us senators should take a position on it without seeing the evidence leading to it.

Do you not agree, tribune?
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Fair enough.

I provide you with my first evidence - the sworn testimony of the Consul Lucius Sicinus Scipo. He has attested that the four approached him and asked him to join a group they were forming - a secret organization who's members would vote for eachother and find support for each other in elections. The prime role of this group was to ensure each member never fell from power.

Scipio of course refused, and now speaks out against them as their power grows. I shall leave him to validate these claims of course.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Ahenobarbus frowns. The sudden condemnation of so many senators?

Tribune, you had better have much strong evidence to support your claim. This is one serious accusation, especially against a sacrosanct figure of a fellow tribune.

What Lepidus says is the truth!

Scipio rose

At the time I was forced not to say anything. I feared that these four, angry that I would refuse to join them and potentially tell other officials of their plans, and the fact that I myself was not far away from the four. Our political ideologies at the time were identical, and the fact I had been seen openly conversing with them, well, suffice it to say that I wouldn't want to end up being accused myself. I witnessed some of their meetings myself. I have at times even been summoned by these men to engage in political discussions. When I have arrived at their houses, I found the others already waiting there for me.

However, in light of recent events, I have no choice but to bring them forward now.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; March 01, 2009 at 02:56 PM.

And you, senator take that as sufficient evidence to support such actions?!

The way I see it, it is the word of Scipio against that of his CoConsul, and the other men involved. That is no evidence, that is a simple gossip, and that is in no way even near being tangible proof!

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Yes Scipio you where forced not to speak at a time but you speak now and accuse us because your conspiracy with Crassus is failing. You want to invade the north and as it looks like you did n' t get what you want so you start accusing other members of the senate with empty words. As for voting it looks like your friends have voted for you as well every election you where running for an office so is this a conspiracy as well?
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

The proof is that I witnessed it, and the effects of their political dealings are obvious. Do they not all hold position of power in the senate?

The proof is on the walls! Their graffiti for one another is evidence enough! You, Spurius, are not far from this group either.

Volero, the difference is that I didn't coerce them into voting for them or ensure that "I will vote for you if you vote for me". They chose to vote for me out of their own free will, not by promises of benefits should I be elected,. You are guilty of this.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; March 01, 2009 at 03:01 PM.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The Consul witnessed your meetings! He saw you plan your treason! You cannot deny this. I move that these men be immediatley removed from their rank and barred from the Senate for the remainder of their trial.

I as Consul second this motion. Let it be brought to a vote.

So, let me get this clear, a senator likes an other senators ideas, and votes for him for a given office. How does that make those senators join "a power grabbing conspiracy"?! Your proof is circumstantial, seen as wrong doing only be your jealous eyes! As a 6 times praetor you should know this: No tangible proof, no case.

Also, you clam you witnessed it. Why did you not bring it up sooner? Why now? Why now that you seem not to be able to go to the wars, do you decide to do this? This is nothing but rubbish made up by you to prevent Consul Volero from doing what Rome wants him to do, because you wish to use this war to enlarge your pockets!

occ what happened to the rule of senators in office can't be accused of crimes till thy lay down there office?
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc We have started a motion to expell you from your offices and from the Senate, so it would be legal then.

I...I too support the motion, i have great trust in these two men and i believe them. We have all seen and heard them and their men around romes, seen the graffiti on the walls.

The danger to our Republic is too great to write this off as mere paranoia, a trial must be held and for it to be held these men must be stripped of office and rank.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

occ where can i finde these rules?
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

ooC: in the constitution!

occ there is nothing that indicates how to remove a senator from his office.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Article III

This Article shall define the ELECTIONS OF MAGISTRATES.

ANY magistrate may be removed with a 70% non abstaining vote. Any senator may bring up a motion for ejection from office.