Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Scipio/Postumus

Default Re: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Scipio/Postumus

Senators, I also agree that Carthage must be stopped, and not only their stronghold in Sicily, but also the islands of Corsica and Sardinia have to be subdued!

Could you add that in your motion please, Tribune Lepidus?
    On a side note, I d onot really get your reaction from a moment ago.... we would not choose Tribunes, the Plebs still would, a man would just not be able to become a Tribune x amount of times after eachother...

About Carthago again, I hope Senator Ahenobarbus has indeed trained a legion, so we can strike fast!

Would you then, Tribune Lepidus, please add the part of Corsica et Sardinia?
    We simply have to stop Carthago rule the sea...
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I would not think that this is a task that a Praetor should undertake. Fighting rebels or small invasions is one thing, but invasions of enemy territory is a job for a Consul.

As for your other suggestions, I would be glad to add these had we a suitable fleet for transporting the legion there.

And Senator, it is the simple fact that the Senate seeks the regulate the person the Plebs may choose, through arbitrary limits on terms, that angers me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

(OOC: i'm not just a senator, i'm a praetor goddamnit! )

IC:

I would not go for a large fleet, Tribune, we do not want to fight on the seas against Carthage, a small fleet to transport the army will do I think.

About the Tribune elections, it was not me who said that, I chose "unlimited terms" for the Tribune, others want it limited....
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: How am I supposed to know? Put it in your sig like everyone else

IC A small transport fleet is fine, but it must be built first.

As for your bill, it was not so much your idea that I dislike but the feeling of some senators that the Tribuneship should be restricted.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Tribune we do not need a huge fleet to fight Carthage on the ocean we nearly need a transport fleet to ferry the troops. After taking Sicilia i will return to Rome and will send the fleet along the coast. This way the legion will not be exposed to a dangerous trip on the open sea where carthage is to powerful. When i reach Rome i will board the ships again with the legion and use the shortest way to reach the islands.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Alright, I shall add the following clauses to the bill:

Senatus Consultum De Bellam Punicam

I Consul Volero shall be appointed commander of the second legion in the south, and shall ferry his troops across the straight of Rhegium to Sicily, where he will take all Punic settlements.

II The Consul shall not attack Greek holdings unless they can be shown to be actively aiding the Punics in battle.

III. The Consul shall be given command over the region and, when Lilybaeum is captured, he shall have imperium for no longer than six months in order to establish a process of Romanization.

IV. A small fleet of 2-3 Trireme shall be constructed immediately. They shall serve as transports, and shall, whenever possible, remain in port to protect them from the Navy of Carthage.

V. Following the Capture of Sicily, the legions shall be transported north to take the islands of Corsica and Sardinia in the same manner.
    Last edited by Winter; March 01, 2009 at 11:56 AM.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Wait a minute Senator, were you not instructed to raise two legions, each comprised of Roman and Italian maniples? Have you not completed this task?
    Tribune, if you had paid attention to the motion that Balbus made about the legions and how to deal with the Carthaginian landing, you would have noticed that the bill instructed one Consul to deal with the Carthaginians, while the other "reorganised the Roman military". Since I went to fight the Carthaginians, then the other role must have been assigned to Herrenius Pictor. If he has not commissioned the recruitment of the second legion, then that is not my fault. I believe there is still time to do it now though.

OOC: I haven't ended turn on the save, so technically if you started training them now, it would basically be as though they were trained last term.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

My mistake Senator. Herrenius Pictor though shall have to answer for this.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

"I believe" Celsus said who had remained silent until now "that I can support such a motion."

I will support this motion Tribune Lepidus.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Well since we've heard no concerns yet I move this be put to vote.

occ maybe we should wait a bit longer for more members to see it?

If we decide to train that legion with the unfinished turn would we also start the training of the fleet at the same time? Or do we train the legion hit end turn and wait for the outcome of the election.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; March 01, 2009 at 12:10 PM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Tribune, if you had allowed us to begin building the fleet last term we would be better placed now! Would you admit you were wrong in this regard?

Also, will the Consul apply the same logic to my motion as he did to his own please as mine has been more than seconded and has more support than the opposing bill.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Senator, you know full well that that fleet was to be used for naval combat and would have been utterly destroyed at the hands of Carthage. I and those who supported me understood that only a full fleet could have a chance against their quinqueremes.

I support the Tribune's motion as well. The fleet, had it been constructed the last term, would have been destroyed by the Carthaginian navy. I expect that their expedition having failed, they will now have withdrawn with their tail between their legs like a sad hound, and returned to a Carthaginian port, leaving the Italian coast free for our ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    My mistake Senator. Herrenius Pictor though shall have to answer for this.
    OOC: Do you want like a report on the units that were recruited and disbanded, and costs?
    Xavier was gonna handle all the things in the real campaign, since it's a lot easier than having him move the army, and then having me do all the other stuff, and I think he had already done it. If you want that report then I'll just have to ask Xavier to hand me the info .

IC:
    Senators, I support our Tribune's motion, But I believe it is of larger importance to deal with the North before moving on with Carthage. I propose the following:

I. Consul Volero shall lead a Consular Army to the North, to ensure the pacification of Northern Italy.
    II. Consul Scipio shall be appointed the defense of Italy from any invading Carthaginian armies, ere they to come.

Once we have dealt with the North, then we should move South.

I oppose this motion. The defense of Italy is clearly more important that pacifying the Etruscans. Who knows when Carthage will return. they have multiple island holdings from which to launch attacks. Send me north with Crassus and a legion and we will have them subdued within six months and be back in Rome as if nothing happened.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Absolutely not, Senator! We have the upper hand in this Punic war, and we must see to it that our momentum is not wasted!

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

I support the motion...

The north is a problem, albiet a less important one than Carthage. Perhaps we should wait for futher report from the north before we take action? We have reconaissance units there, and should receive notice if the Gauls decide to try something aggressive.