Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Scipio/Postumus

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Re: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Scipio/Postumus

Hmm this proposal is a good one i do not see any reason to limit the position of Questors and Tribunes as well so i agree on those points.

The higher positions should be limited to two years. Because we don' t want one man to have to much powers do we now.

I support this bill and will bring it to a vote when no one abjects.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I oppose that law.

Anyway, as many of you might have overlooked, or simply forgotten, Rome has not one, but two legions. One is indefinitely committed to watching the shores and countering any Carthaginian threat that may arise, possibly, in the near future, even heading to Sicily itself. Volero is to command this legion. The mission I have outlined for Crassus and myself is more simple, and simply involves the conquest of the northern provinces, a rather simple task that would keep us close to home. This little endeavor shouldn't take longer than six months.

I have reason to believe that some of you men support him for other reasons, and would like to see him in command of not only the one legion, but the other as well. Would you have one consul command both legions? Would that not make it a waste to have two?

I also propose a Praetorial election, so that we may fill the empty seat of the praetor.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; March 01, 2009 at 08:33 AM.

I have just raised my objection to that law, Consul Volero, and many other senators will oppose it, because it is not the bill we voiced our support for, it is the bill of your friend which has been rejected more times in this house than a spurned obsessive greek lover! The whole issue that led to the suggestion of the bill was the repeated use of the tribune's veto!

In addition, I would like to second the motion for a Praetorian election.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Well senator Crassus i am telling you and the other senators i support this new bill and will start a vote when the majority will support it. I did not mention starting a vote at this same moment.

As for the tribunes the people of rome will not want to see there beloved tribunes to get stript of ranks thy urned by there for fathers.

For now we will see what the other membes of the senate will say.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

The motion for a praetorian election has been seconded. It will now be moved to a vote.

Regarding the issue of an attack on the North (IF and only IF there is one) I propose that no looting should take place after the City(ies) has been conquered.

The argument has been that we conquer them for their own good, as much as our own. And to further show them that a union with Rome will benefit them we should refrain from it.

What says the senate about this proposal?
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

My motion is simple and has the support of the majority of members of the house and I'd ask that the consul opens a vote.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

We should give this new motion a chance so other senators could share there thoughts about it.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Even though I support the motion to reopen voting for Praetors, it was moved to a vote far too quickly to allow proper debate on the matter. I would advise that the Consul abide by the rules regarding debate and the voting on motions.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

occ it would be nice if all senators who lost an election could apply for the position of Praetor this seems more fair to all of them.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Marcellus, a proposed motion, when seconded by a senator, can be immediately moved to vote. I would be much obliged if you would stop trying to point out my errors and instead do your job and discuss what we are to do. We have more important things to worry about that your disapproval of how I conduct my sessions in the Curia.

Manlius waved to Varius as he left, and moments later he stood up

Senator Crassus, I adress you directly. I have all respects for your opposition of my proposed motion, but I ask you, why do you not give an alternative?
    Screaming "that is not right" is easy, but giving your thoughts on it seems to be too hard for some!

What do you think then of my other proposed options, three or four times?
    And if not those, then what do YOU propose, not twice in a row?
    I stressed so much to give alternatives if you did not like a certain part, I stressed it so much!
    But yet, you rather oppose the whole law then to give an alternative, which I would surely add in the law.
    I have the feeling I am talking to either fools or deaf people...

Consul Scipio, please, I say the same to you!
    You used even less words, you simply said you opposed the law, not even why!
    And also, you did not give an alternative...
    If it is also the Tribune part, then say what you would like, and we can discuss this as a Republic state! Which we are!!

So please Senators, give your opinion, and give alternatives, simply saying you oppose it or don't want it makes me feel a fool, and is utterably useless for the Republic...

After a long, mourning like silence, Manlius continued

And Quaestor Balbus, with the most respects, I find your law far too vague, and there is no difference made between offices, high or low!!
    Excuse me for this, but I find it very important. Could you tell us what exactly you did not like in my proposition?

Manlius awaited the anwsers of all three Senators

OOC: About the Tribunes, if you'd like 2-3-4 times, plz say, cause not twice in a row seems to few, regarding our low amount of tribunes! But if you still think this is the best, plz post!
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I will not accept any motion that restricts the people's right to choose a tribune for themselves. It is not the business of the Senate to set limits on who may or may not be elected of the lower classes to fight for them.

Now Senators, I insist we stop this foolishness and discuss the war with Carthage. We must attack them before the momentum we have gained is frittered away!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

Senator Varius entered through the door with ragged clothes, filthy of dust, which made him look like an old beggar.

He bowed for the Consuls, and with his bow, a pile of dust and sand fell on the Senate Floor.

Attack Carthage where it hurts! Launch a pre-emptive strike on their forces in Sicilia immediately! As Senator Lepidus said just then, we have to act quick, or else we will lose our only advantage: the advantage of surprise!

I would agree with Tribune lepidus maybe it is time to invade Sicilia and punish them for there assault on Italian soil. We should recruit a fleet (only one ship is needed here) to ferry a legion to the island. I will support an attack on the island and will lead the legion to do so if the senate grants me this opportunity. It is time we punish these back stabbing allies for what thy have done.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

I support Consul Volero his suggestion to lead our army to Sicilia!

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I propose the following motion:

Senatus Consultum De Bellam Punicam

I Consul Volero shall be appointed commander of the second legion in the south, and shall ferry his troops across the straight of Rhegium to Sicily, where he will take all Punic settlements.

II The Consul shall not attack Greek holdings unless they can be shown to be actively aiding the Punics in battle.

III. The Consul shall be given command over the region and, when Lilybaeum is captured, he shall have imperium for no longer than six months in order to establish a process of Romanization.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Ahenobarbus swept into the Curia, toga billowing, the resounding congratulations of the people still in his ears.

Senators, I have returned. My army sits camped on the Campus Martius, and shall await the day of oration. Now, to current matters. I see the tribune has newly proposed a motion. I support it, but for one small but vital flaw. We have no "second legion", tribune. To drive the Carthaginians off Italian soil, I used a legion made up of troops from the garrisons of Paestum and Corfinium. No second legion was trained.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Wait a minute Senator, were you not instructed to raise two legions, each comprised of Roman and Italian maniples? Have you not completed this task?

Tribune i would like to add some things to your motion.

I suggest we make hast of our operation of punishing and weakening the carthaginians so i would like to suggest granting me to invade Corsica and Sardinia as well if these islands are under Carthaginian control. And i would like to have some company of a Praetor with a small force to acompany me in this campaign. If you would ratify my proposal.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; March 01, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator