Thread: [steam] Unusual Problem Installing ROP.

Icon5 [steam] Unusual Problem Installing ROP.

Hi all,

I'm having difficulty installing the mod.

I have RTW Gold v1.5, but it was purchased through Steam a long time ago. Don't quite remember why...but that's besides the point.

i downloaded ROP2.2, installed it in the same folder as RTW which is,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war gold

Then i downlaoded the 2.2 patch and installed it to the same folder. The icon pops up on my desktop and all, but when i click on it to play, it says "Failed to find Steam"

any ideas??

Default Re: Unusual Problem Installing ROP.

I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with Steam, though there is one thing we could check easily: if the shortcut points to the right folder.
    Could you right-click on the ROP shortcut, select Properties and write down here what the Target line says?
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

most certainly:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war gold\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -mod:ROP -nm

Icon4 Re: Unusual Problem Installing ROP.

....stiiiiiiiiiill having problems

Hmm I've just got the ETW demo from steam, and wow those naval battles rock! Too bad that it's loading very slow on my one year old laptop.
    Back on topic, have you had any problems using other mod-switch mods for RTW 1.5? If you didn't have problems, what is written in the target line of their shortcuts?

Lead developer of:

I've just found a solution that works for me (even though I didn't get RTW from Steam, but the method works). It's based on the 6th post in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135369

For ROP the method will be this:

First, install the mod normally to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war gold". No quotes of course. This should be where your game is if you are using STEAM.
    When using Vista, install the mod by right-clicking the installer and selecting 'Execute as administrator'!

Next, open STEAM. Open the "My games" tab. Right click on "Rome Total War: Gold". A menu pops up. Select the "Properties" option. Put your mouse in the Target field. Copy and paste " -show_err -nm -mod:ROP" (no quotes) into the end of the text box, without altering the text that was already there, and left click "Close". You can also change the name of the shortcut if you want, like I did. See screenshot:

Lead developer of:

I tried to do that, but when i right click on "rome: total war gold" in steam and select properties, there is no target field for me to alter

Oh, then you're probably using another version of Steam. Could you look in the manuals of your version and see if they have an explanation about editing shortcuts in Steam?

Lead developer of:

mm. I'm not sure that's the issue, but i'll check.

I just realized that i do have the expansion for total war installed, the barbarians one.

i added the shortcut to the steam My Games menu, and changed its target field, but all i got was "failed to find steam" when i tried to launch it from both steam and the actual .exe in the steamapps/common folder

*note: i bought total war gold through steam, i think thats why the shortcut isn't editable

Oh, what happens if you click properties, is there a field called "Set launch options..."? If there is, click it and add "-show_err -nm -mod:ROP" to it (without the quotes). Does that help?

Lead developer of:

Cuauchiquetl's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Nero666 View Post
    Oh, what happens if you click properties, is there a field called "Set launch options..."? If there is, click it and add "-show_err -nm -mod:ROP" to it (without the quotes). Does that help?
    Did you guys managed to solve the problem? it didn't work for me. I just open an unplayable version of vanilla with the BI loading screen.