Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greek Wars

Default Re: The Greek Wars

Looks very impressive. I am downloading it now. I like the idea of a Greek centered-mod. One that gives us a big map with plenty of elbow room to move around without banging into a city at every step. I especially liked the Owl faction symbol of Athens. Very nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Seleucos of Olympia View Post
    It's nice to see a more historical minimod, Spartan 666! Have you used the historical names for the two kings (Archidamos and Kleomenes)?
    Thank you Seleucos! Well, I used this page for reference

http://www.csun.edu/~hcfll004/sparking.html

The names are historical, their age and their sons' names probably don't...for the sons' names I chose the ones I liked best.

It would be a nice thing to provoke Athanaikos' death by script (like happens for some factions in EB) but this would mean to create a background campaign script, which this mod does not use. So I thought about that little trick.

It would not be difficult to create a campaign script that runs only once (at the start of the game). That is what XGM does. Just put a line at the bottom of Descr_Strat saying:

Code:
    script
    {script file name}
    Then create a text file with the name you pointed to and put a command in there to kill off the starting King.

I do not like the scripts that run all of the time, which you have to start every time you reload a save. But this sort of campaign script is a fantastic way to help balance the game. I use one in ATW to give bonuses to all of the non-player factions at the beginning of the campaign. That way the player has more of a challenge.

@Visitor13:
    It's a sigma: Σ. It looks like an M when you look at it rotated, but it's their historical shield symbol for that era.

I planned to bolster the Achaean defenses, but I may have given them too little to work with. Megara is supposed to be tough - a challenge for the determined player.

@Spartan 666 & Subrosa Florens:
    I may institute that initial script in the next version, since it's something that's been on my mind almost from the start (being an XGM player). TGW currently uses a script that runs all the time so we can have 12 turns per year. It's necessary due to the small time scale (360BC - 338BC)
    Last edited by Seleucos of Olympia; March 13, 2009 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seleucos of Olympia View Post
    @Visitor13:
    It's a sigma: Σ. It looks like an M when you look at it rotated, but it's their historical shield symbol for that era.
    That's what I thought it was. I just wasn't sure since their faction symbol was so different.
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Visitor13 came to TWC for the wafers

well if you are planning to add a campaign script, you could consider that option...

btw, I just uploaded a fixed version of the minimod...I didn't consider that adding only two surnames caused the game to spawn them in diplomats, spies, assassins. Now there are more surnames, both new and copy\pasted from other factions.

Spartan - the family trees are not supposed to represent families in this game, nevertheless, it is neat that you're making a historical version.

Viva la Defenestrate!

I know, I know...I just tried to make something to represent the peculiar spartan leadership system...

Laetus

It,s great! thanks

@Seleucos

Btw, I think this mod deserves its own subforum on the main RTW Hosted Modifications. It would gain much more appreciation and support...

mamluk's Avatar Libertus

Icon5 Re: The Greek Wars

I'm sorry before
    But why campaign map doesn't work in me?
    When I quit from the game its show up a notice that something wrong in desc_start.txt or in map_height

Its interesting story expack, maybe it would be much better if the game being perfected and complex

AAhh... i don't have time to make signature.........

@Mamluk

Haven't came across that issue yet... will bring that to Sels attention

One of the TGW team...
    I just do whatever needs doing! Sel does most of the work

map_heights??? that' strange...what is wrong in descr_strat?

@mamluk: Hi! Have you tried deleting the file tgw/data/world/maps/base/map.rwm ? That sounds like the most likely culprit.

@Spartan 666: I think it's a bit premature to request our own subforum. You typically have to wait 3 months for that, and it's only really useful in the development phase. We used our own forum for the development of TGW, so a subforum here would only be useful in the event that we decide on a major redesigning of the mod, which won't happen anytime in the near future. But thanks for the idea! (Alexius 17 is all for it)

Mainly for the publicity. :/

Viva la Defenestrate!

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

This looks really hot guys, and kudos for going for modular releases, you might just manage to break the curse of Greek mods..I'll definatly give this a bash once my diary is free.

@Spartan 666: I think it's a bit premature to request our own subforum. You typically have to wait 3 months for that, and it's only really useful in the development phase.
    If you really want one ask Aradan, the rule is (or was when I was an Admin) a released mod gets a forum if they want one.

Can I be cheeky and suggest a new name might be a good idea, 'The Greek Wars' lacks a bit of ommph.

Maybe you could hold a naming competition. It's good publicity and god knows there are enough Greek fans around here to make it worth advertising.

oh pps..I have Greek units from this period (I think) in my Sicilia mod, your welcome to use them and re-skin them if you like.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; March 18, 2009 at 06:50 AM.

Greek mods Rule!

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Can I be cheeky and suggest a new name might be a good idea, 'The Greek Wars' lacks a bit of ommph.

Maybe you could hold a naming competition. It's good publicity and god knows there are enough Greek fans around here to make it worth advertising.
    Most of the designers of this mod were participants in The Greek Wars, the story off of which this mod was based, and would probably be loathe to change. However, if a historical realism mod was ever created in conjunction with our efforts, that would be a good idea.

Viva la Defenestrate!

Quote Originally Posted by Anakin Skywalker View Post
    Greek mods Rule!
    and die, unfortunately...

Phalanx300's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I just installed this mod, its great =). It really has potential as well, I suggest going more Historical(look at EB, its more fun and more popular) and maybe in time even add a bigger part of Greece to the map to spend up the remaining factions.