Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greek Wars

Default Re: The Greek Wars

Okay, try copying the preferences.txt file from your vanilla preferences folder to the TGW preferences folder. That way we'll rule out any incompatibility in settings. I can't think of anything else right now...

Edit: If that doesn't work, try starting the mod through the command "RomeTW.exe -mod:tgw". The bat file uses the command "RomeTW.exe -show_err -nm -mod:tgw", and there may be a freak chance that something weird is happening with the -nm... I'm just guessing... There isn't much else that could account for this.
    Last edited by Seleucos of Olympia; March 03, 2009 at 08:10 PM.

BI shouldn't affect this. I don't know anything about Vista 64 bit, though... I still use Windows XP. I have to go to bed, as it's 4 in the morning here, but I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Thank you for your help,

I got it to work, i changed the name of the bat file, to what you specified and it worked,

its only using about 70% of my screen and is centered down the middle,

but its working....

Now it's probably a resolution problem.

Viva la Defenestrate!

playing it with the BI.exe is even more fun, as you can use the shield_wall with a little change in edu.txt. Also, I think the troop morale is too low. Troops route as soon as they face the enemy...

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Having played a Spartan campaign (of course ) for a few days, I can say that you guys/gals did a great job with TGW. Having the map extended north to cover the rest of Greece would be awesome, but I can agree with your reasoning not to do so.

The only suggestion I can think of right off hand is that it'd be nice to have a bit more of a visual difference between the Spartan Hippeis and "standard" Spartiate Hoplite. They're easy to confuse in a glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    Having played a Spartan campaign (of course ) for a few days, I can say that you guys/gals did a great job with TGW. Having the map extended north to cover the rest of Greece would be awesome, but I can agree with your reasoning not to do so.

The only suggestion I can think of right off hand is that it'd be nice to have a bit more of a visual difference between the Spartan Hippeis and "standard" Spartiate Hoplite. They're easy to confuse in a glance.
    i changed de spartiate hoplite skin for the spartan of kla may you can do it to
    Last edited by Nachox; March 04, 2009 at 10:13 AM.

ARRIBA LA CELESTE!!

is it normal that within 10 turns 3 (3!!!!!) of my family members got slain by assassins???

Garrigan's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah, I made a few attempts at sigs, but they arent very impressive. I'll post them anyway, see if anyone here is more receptive than at the DEF

Once known as Kasey| Hoplite for The Greek Wars Mod

Kleomenis's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan 666 View Post
    is it normal that within 10 turns 3 (3!!!!!) of my family members got slain by assassins???
    they killed my faction leader from the 3 or 4 turn and from that moment, i placed a spy in each city and general in the map and since this move, no one got assassinated!

yeah but it's not possible that either you recruit tons of spies or you fail the campaign because your family tree has been whiped out!!!

Kleomenis's Avatar Semisalis

you do not need tones of spies. i had 2 armies attacking and 6 cities (totally i had 8 spies).
    later that i was conquering more cities i was moving the spies from the far away cities i had to the cities on my borders, that is all.

Hm, I gave some experience bonuses to assassins recruited by the Megarans (they should start out with +2 at the start of the game), but I haven't had a chance to witness their effectiveness. I'll have to do some tweaking and give some starting spies to bolster early defence against assassins. STW was like that, so in my mind it's not such a bad thing .

Plus, it's like that in the story...

Viva la Defenestrate!

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

Seriously needs ALOT of more units, and Athens really sucks as a raction. Got whipped by Sparta in my game as Argos.

Well, what units would you suggest?

Edit: I added a few sigs in the first post.
    Last edited by Seleucos of Olympia; March 04, 2009 at 05:53 PM.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

I'm having a problem here. When I start a battle, the game ctds, and I get an error message saying the following:

Failed to find texture 'data/models_building/textures/#&path_desert_stony.tga'

Any ideas what the problem might be? Clearly other people haven't had it.

EDIT: I've just tested a battle on Vanilla RTW and had the same problem. Evidently it's something to do with my RTW files, not the tgw files. Now to work out how to fix it...
    Last edited by Zenith Darksea; March 06, 2009 at 11:19 AM.

after having played for 3 hours a hard\hard spartan campaign and a few more hours of other campaigns, i had these impressions:
    -the AI recruits full stacks of light infantry (javelinmen, slingers and archers), which can be annihilated by 3 or 4 units of prodromoi
    -defeat of the achaeans and theban expansion both too fast

then, the tgw script ends in 348bc but the descr_strat indicates that the campaign should end in 338, so there will be either a CTD or normal 2tpy turns after the year 348, and the characters get too old too fast (in 357bc the Spartan leader is 60yo, and he started 3 years earlier at 47yo). Surely it is caused by some conflict between the 12tpy and the increase of age of the characters, but I have no idea how to fix it...that's strange because I've never seen this issue in any 4tpy mod.

oh, and playing with the BI.exe...campaign battles are better thanks to the shield_wall, but custom battles are umplayable (return to Single Player menu after clicking Start Battle, with no error message) and to start the campaign you have to click on Provincial Campaign rather than on TGW campaign.

Hope this helps to improve this amazing mod! Btw the skins are not that bad, and personally I don't think KLA's skins is the best choice for this mod...
    Last edited by Spartan 666; March 06, 2009 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks for the detailed report Spartan 666! We'll look into everyone of those issues in depth. I just took a look at the script, and I noticed that I had set it to terminate in 348BC by accident... It will be promptly fixed.

Zenith, does that happen in all battles? Custom/campaign? If in the campaign, is it in a particular part of the map or anywhere?
    Edit: I just noticed your edit. Good luck with it!
    Last edited by Seleucos of Olympia; March 06, 2009 at 02:49 PM.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

It was all battles. Don't worry about it, I looked into the problem and it was a fault in my RTW base files. I fixed it quite easily.