Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greek Wars

Default The Greek Wars

Mod name: The Greek Wars
    Version: 1.01
    Platform: RTW
    Era: 360BC – 338BC

Brief description: The Greek Wars recreates the era following the Theban Hegemony and preceding the Macedonian unification of Greece.

Brief description for versions 0.9-0.97 (smaller map and fewer factions than in 1.0; also less historical): The Greek Wars is a mod based on the group story of the same name in the .Com’s Fan Fiction section. The map is restricted to southern Greece and there are 11 factions – Athens, Thebes, Megara, Corinth, Argos, Sparta, Messenia, Elis, Arcadia, Achaea and Sicyon.

I would like to start right off by saying that this is not, strictly speaking, a historical mod. For, although the borders, nations, troop types, dynamics, are meant to represent reality in 360BC, to the extent that our means allowed it, The Greek Wars is still based on the homonymous work of group fiction in the .com Fan Fiction section, of which most of us were co-writers. Therefore you will find a king in Argos and another in Corinth, and Iphicrates will be missing from the Athenian family tree. But apart from that, we have strived to keep things historical. You will find no mythical units or super-Spartans (in fact, Spartans don’t even have the best hoplites in this game…). There are 11 factions on a small map, and their differences in units are, in most cases, slight. That serves two purposes. First, there were few actual differences in unit types within such a small area in such a small period of time, and second, we had hoped to somehow emulate the conditions that made, and still make, Shogun Total War so appealing. Thebans get better cavalry, but not through different units; their cavalry is the same but with experience bonuses. Megarans have better assassins (which is a feature central to the story), and are expected to function more or less like clan Imagawa in STW. There are 40 regions in total, and it is not necessary to conquer all of them to win. The goal is hegemony. There are two classes of settlements: towns and capitals. Capitals are the only places where you can recruit decent troop types, and the best units can only be trained in your own capital. There are no large or huge walls, and therefore the advantage remains with the defender. Assaulting a well-defended capital should be tough, and we won’t be able to call this mod “finished” until that has been accomplished.

Many elements of this game may seem a bit rough. There are various features that we’ve discussed but didn’t have time to implement, because either real life got in the way, or more basic things proved much more time-consuming than we had imagined – or both reasons. Many basic features, like starting armies and unit balancing, are incomplete because of similar time restrictions (due to real life obligations), and we thought it would be better to perfect them after this first (beta) release. Since most Classical Greece mods have a bad history of being stuck in eternal development, we felt that it would be best to release an early, playable version now, and include anything new gradually in the future.

We would like to thank Dimebagho and the XGM team for letting us use their wonderful models and skins, as well as various other features; also SignifierOne for his animation package. Hoplites just wouldn't be hoplites without it; HouseOfHam for his scripting tutorial on how to implement more than 2 turns per year; and finally PROMETHEUS tm for permission to use his strategic map city models.

You can download the mod here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=328201

Version history:

TGW 1.01 (11-10-2011)

- Fixed some typos in unit descriptions
    - Properly implemented new quotes
    - Added historical events
    - Fixed victory/defeat text for all factions
    - Gave more fitting colours to diplomats, spies and assassins for Macedon, Phocis, Akarnania and Locris
    - Added “Oracle of Delphoi” as a wonder of the world
    - Added “Oracle Treasures” as a building in Delphoi, for great plunder!
    - Replaced misplaced Macaria region with “Arkadike Kynouria”
    - Changed splash screen
    - Increased recruitment time for royal hypaspists to what was intended

TGW 1.0 (25-9-2011)

- Map expanded to include northern Greece
    - 8 new factions added
    - Faction descriptions, quotes etc. changed to make the game fully historical
    - Various changes, too numerous to recall in detail

TGW 0.98b (8-1-2010)

- Reverted to training times of v0.97 (optional version of patch 0.98a)

TGW 0.98a (18-11-2009)

- All unit and building costs rebalanced
    - All unit stats rebalanced
    - Formations changed
    - Battle movement modifiers decreased
    - Implemented zero training time for all units

TGW 0.97 (17-9-2009)

- Fixed spies and assassins for Sparta.
    - Fixed victory conditions.
    - Fixed some spelling errors and the text for Cretan archers.
    - Changed javelinman cost in campaign map and allowed militia hoplites to be recruited by lowest level barracks.
    - Fixed erroneous UI info cards for Spartan javelinmen and slingers.
    - Fixed misplaced UI info cards for mercenary units.
    - Fixed missing text for Argive temples and theatres.
    - Increased Achaian campaign survivability and Corinthian population.
    - Added Prometheus cities.
    - Added "Diolkos" special building to Corinth.
    - Fixed 12 turns per year script, by making only one "winter" month per year.

TGW 0.95 (8-3-2009)

- Fixed bug in script that made characters age one year per turn for the first few turns.
    - Fixed bug in script that caused it to terminate ten years too early.
    - Fixed bug that would cause a CTD when a Megaran settlement was assaulted.
    - Fixed some typos in campaign descriptions.
    - Fixed Olympian wonder (it did not appear in the game)
    - Changed unit stats – generals’ bodyguards have been particularly nerfed, and they are set to act as missile cavalry, out of harm’s way.
    - Added local place names as surnames for characters. Changed name structure, as a result.
    - Added some missing unit descriptions.
    - Added victory and defeat texts, and gave the greek outro to all factions.
    - Changed faction AI behaviours.
    - Changed starting faction relations.
    - Changed some building costs.
    - Changed recruitment times.
    - Changed starting armies and funds.

TGW 0.9 (28-2-2009)

- First release; beta

Screenshots:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Defenestrated Assembly:
    Seleukos of Olympia,
    KingLarsofMars,
    Ragimund Von Wallat,
    Athkara,
    Conqistador,
    cpdwane,
    Sean Cappone,
    Alexius 17,
    Volksie,
    Raja,
    Sipahi (oftheporte),
    Percy13,
    Knight of Cydonia (Kasey),
    Kublai,
    and all the rest of the DEF who helped out with their encouragements

Here are a few pictures you can use as sigs:

[img*]http://i80.servimg.com/u/f80/12/00/03/77/sig10615.png[/img]

[img*]http://i80.servimg.com/u/f80/12/00/03/77/sig10611.png[/img]

[img*]http://i80.servimg.com/u/f80/12/00/03/77/sig10612.png[/img]

~
    Last edited by Seleucos of Olympia; January 29, 2012 at 04:09 PM.

Agisilaos's Avatar GREECE - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Default Re: The Greek Wars

Congratulations for the release guys. i am downloading it now and i would like to ask if it is modfoldered.
    Macedones were, are and will always be Greeks
    Under the Noble Patronage of jimkatalanos and proud patron of Agis Tournas and cocobongoclub-DJ
    Terrae Expugnandae, Imperial Might, Mythology, Complete Byzantine Roster, Ruins of glory, Sparta 3, Hegemonia City States, Roma Surrectum 2,300 Warlords of Sparta, Sparta 3.5, Classical Age Total War
    watch this
    , this and this
    Τακτική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις αν υπάρχει κάτι που μπορείς να κάνεις.
    Στρατηγική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις όταν δεν υπάρχει τίποτα να κάνεις.

Thanks! Yes, it is modfoldered. I'll add that little bit of info in the description...
    Last edited by Seleucos of Olympia; February 27, 2009 at 07:46 PM.

great! downloading

Looks great! Newsied on Mod Realms and TWC.

Glad you guys all like it. Hope you guys enjoy my unit descriptions.

Although Sel, you may wish to put (Alexius 17) by my name, because there's another fine patron of this forum who goes by Alexios Komnenos...

Viva la Defenestrate!

great downloading

Nicely done!

gratz for that mod (the only hellenic era mod that i've seen released).... lucky with the definitive version!
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

Is there a some secret to making money in these game? When I start almost all of my cities are at negative and I've found it near impossible to bring them up.

looks great! I'll try it out as soon as I can put my hands on a decent connection and download it! will it work with ALEX?

cocobongoclub-DJ's Avatar Père fourmois

Quote Originally Posted by Conqistador View Post
    gratz for that mod (the only hellenic era mod that i've seen released).... lucky with the definitive version!
    There is also hegemonia total war... But nevermind, great job there, try it now.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Under the Noble Patronage of Agisilaos
    CATW Modeller skinner since 2006, now retired - Proud grandfather of Classical-Age Total War, the ancient world in 300 bc...
    http://www.ancient-battles.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan 666 View Post
    looks great! I'll try it out as soon as I can put my hands on a decent connection and download it! will it work with ALEX?
    Well, I'm assuming you also have RTW installed. Prolly. Just unzip to your RTW file.

By the way, the way we will make this better is by your critiques, so let us know!
    Last edited by Alexius 17; February 28, 2009 at 11:34 AM.

Viva la Defenestrate!

Awesome mod! I had some great hours with my athenian campaign. I am loocking forward for further versions.

What difficulty is that on traxx91. Looks like you're creaming it

Heres a few shots from my Sparta M/M campaign

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Finally success in realeasing something ancient greek!

You guys must not have a single greek on the team!

Do you realize we have been waiting since 2005 on TWC for a Hellenic mod?????? and nothing?

Lots of promise....

If I had the time I would PM EB, strip EB skins and use them with this great map and full mod.... 5 hours of work and a complete greek mod

Fantastic work! The above sarcasm is not dirrected at anyone in particular but at the universe in its full absurdity
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Seleucos is Greek!

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Quote Originally Posted by KingLarsofMars View Post
    Seleucos is Greek!
    The original TWC-Admin Seleukos???? no he is from Washington State

That said I am proposing him for Divus tonight
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Quote Originally Posted by Obi Wan Asterix View Post
    The original TWC-Admin Seleukos???? no he is from Washington State

That said I am proposing him for Divus tonight
    No... Seleucos of Olympia!

The man in this thread is not from Washington, sorry.

And are you really allowed to make him a Divus, doesn't that violate your own consititution?
    Last edited by Alexius 17; February 28, 2009 at 06:39 PM.

Viva la Defenestrate!

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast