Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Preview of Eriador (outdated)

Default Re: -- Preview of Eriador --

Quote Originally Posted by Templar Crusader View Post
    I second that. Hey and its not like these units can never be changed.
    Here, here. I second, or er, third, Ratzor's observation. Krechet(SiCh): NICE JOB and thank you for your time, effort and contributions. It is very much appreciated

I can't wait to see the hobbit units!

Snipe_'s Avatar Libertus

wasent hobbits suppouse to come out too like now

Quote Originally Posted by Krechet(SiCh) View Post
    Dale is allready in process. But if you don't like Eriador - your choice. I tired to remake it more and more. I only learned modelling for TW than I started making them and I loose quite big amount of time for them. So than I at lasdt could make what I want I didnn't have desire and time to do it most perfect. So if people want I could leave the project. I'm not so skilled as DG, Alletun, KK and Shredder. It's true. ASnd I have too 3 more projects for that I could work for. Now I have skills for that and enough time to do all perfect

wait wait getin argued isnt a soulution you should just listen to what people say and try to fix the units riht

Quote Originally Posted by Phunkracy View Post
    There was much constructive criticism. Because all non-constructive was well, dleted
    I“m aware of this, I just saw these posts and got extremely infuriated over what I saw in some.

Quote Originally Posted by Phunkracy:4549078
    Also, I know that it's for free. But being free doesn't make the units better, huh?
    Goddamnit.
    Being free doesn“t give you the right to say whatever you want either

No matter what our opinion is of the units, we all need to remember that it takes ALOT of work to make units. Also, its not like he is doing this on a payroll. He is using his own time to work on this mod. While there could be some improvements (less coloring, hammers, etc), I think its unfair to totally trash his work. So I'm saying thank you for your work

Phunkracy's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzor View Post
    Being free doesn“t give you the right to say whatever you want either
    You took it out of the context, you naughty boy!

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Nice!

Snipe_'s Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzor View Post
    I just read through this thread and all I can say is how mad I am at the users of this community, seldom have I seen such spoiled and disrespectful posts. May I ask how many of you posting these who knows of the difficulties of modeling, skinning and balancing? May I ask how many of you that have ever been on the team of one the most anticipated mods ever, charged with creating not only a unit or a building but a whole faction with no visual reference and next to no idea what units this region could have had at it“s disposal?

What rights do you think you have to downright critisize the work of an artist who does this on his free time without any pay or other compensation for said work?

IMO I think that the models and skins could use some bit of rework, but goddamn if I would rudely demand and offend the one who made them to redo it. That“s not an okay thing to do, isn“t encouragement and constructive critiscism the right way here, isn“t it?

Sorry for this flaming post but I get furius when good-manners is dropped for the sake of childish reasoning and total disrespect for a persons integrety and feelings. Be free to critisize this post however, let us see your good will or bad intentions for this mod, I“m sure most people on the forums will see my way on this matter

I agree i liked the faction very much
    but, the archers were just awsome, love them

I dont care what the other people thinks i want you on the TATW team
    keep up the good work

The thing about war hammers...

In war, hammers were used to punch through the enemy's armor by using the concentrated force of the swing over a small area. Thus the heads of war hammers were actually quite small so as to increase the force of the blow. The larger the head of the hammer, the easier it is for the armor to absorb the force of the blow. My old physics teacher gave us the example of a woman in high heels being able to stomp with force than an elephant(!) to help illustrate this. This why historical picture of war hammers often look like this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

However, we often take our image of war hammers from Mjolnir, which look more like the hammers presented. However, the wide heads of mallets, mauls, and sledge hammers are unsuitable for warfare as they distribute the force of the a wide area. This is good for black smithing and construction, not so good for killing (of armored opponents at least).

Anyways if you still wanted distinctive hammers I suggest something along the lines of this:

As for the rest of the preview, I agree with the earlier comment about how perhaps these screenshots were not taken on max settings, as even the ground and plant textures look worse than in the other previews (which obviusly is no fault of the modeller).

Anyways, those are just my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Krechet(SiCh) View Post
    1) Some Noldors used spears like that in first age. Of cause I could remove them but i don't see why it's wrong
    2) I could give tham simple horses - it's not a problem
    3) Could you explane what you want to change. I mean hammers
    4) Axes of "knights". This model is most detailed that I would do. I have to take into polygon limit
    1) No problem there then. It could still be worth trying if it looks more elegant.
    2) You can also change the texturing of the cloth to darker colours like a mix of brown, darker green and grey. Actually I don't think they are terrible as they are.
    3) I mean shaft/handle of the grey hammer of the Town Militia and the shaft/handle of the axe of the Dunedain Knights are too thick. Even to the point that the hand of the wielder appears inside the handle. My proposition was to change those handles as they are in the new version of the black hammer of the Town Guards that you made.
    4) Oh, I don't know about modelling as much as to know what is polygon limit. But if it's impossible to change the handle, then of course it should stay as it is.

I also agree about changing the head of the hammers to a more elegant one.

I hope you still find motivation to do the changes! Know, that not everyone wants a perfect mod in the expense of someone's self-esteem and motivation!

The Doge of Venice's Avatar Senator

The militia probably have those hammers because they represent tools being used for war, I think having the militia have very simple weapons but actually weapons and not tools is better then intricate war hammers or a sledge hammer. Spears or axes are a very good choice for militias.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doge of Venice View Post
    The militia probably have those hammers because they represent tools being used for war, I think having the militia have very simple weapons but actually weapons and not tools is better then intricate war hammers or a sledge hammer. Spears or axes are a very good choice for militias.
    I can get behind the idea that they are tool's being repurposed for war. But if that's the case then the handle should be shorter and the head narrower so as to look like a smith's hammer. Here would be an example of that:

The Doge of Venice's Avatar Senator

yeah I am by no means a blacksmith but I doubt any hammers had heads as large as a human head lol.

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

I have lost my ability to speak. It's so fun seeing a non-professional army faction, at long last! They look so good! As much as I like Gondor, I'd rather see a sometimes less organized army (Hence my liking of Eriador/Rohan)
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

The Big Red 1's Avatar Primicerius

I love this faction. For some reason I like better then a lot of the others. Good Work Krechet. I'm sorry these guys are giving you a hard time. They just don't understand.
    HONEY I AM HOME

Phunkracy's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Red 1 View Post
    I love this faction. For some reason I like better then a lot of the others. Good Work Krechet. I'm sorry these guys are giving you a hard time. They just don't understand.
    Don't understand what? Criticism was constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by illathid View Post
    The thing about war hammers...

In war, hammers were used to punch through the enemy's armor by using the concentrated force of the swing over a small area. Thus the heads of war hammers were actually quite small so as to increase the force of the blow. The larger the head of the hammer, the easier it is for the armor to absorb the force of the blow. My old physics teacher gave us the example of a woman in high heels being able to stomp with force than an elephant(!) to help illustrate this.
    Warhammers with large, heavy, flat heads were also effective but in a different way. They don't really pierce/penetrate armour but they don't have to because the sheer force and heaviness of the blow can smash the victim's ribs and bone cage (or any other bone). Still, the "war pick" variant you showed was probably easier to use since it required less strength.

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

It also looks better.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

The Big Red 1's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    Damn these look awful.

Hope you dont use them in the mod.
    You call that constructive?:hmmm:
    HONEY I AM HOME

Brownish- silverish should be the color set, with maybe red applications (frets) to spice the whole thing up a bit and make that faction "unique" . Would fit well to the other faction“s color shemes.
    U see a nice helmet here (which could be used from the vanilla factions- I“d check the danes on a first shot-, I am sure some unit somewhere has pretty similar helmets.)

Google picture search: "dunedain"; first result seen above.
    It ain“t THAT hard to get some ideas for the main concept of Eriador.
    Last edited by gojira; February 27, 2009 at 08:08 PM.