Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Preview of Eriador (outdated)

Default Re: -- Preview of Eriador --

Gotta agree with alot of people. This aint the standard of the rest of the mod. - Colours being to bright, and other weird stuff like, militias enormous hammers, scouts clothes and the greenwood guards' gloves? why are they pink/red ? I think they are one of the coolest units in this preview but I really dont get why their gloves would have that colour... :hmmm:

I hope they will be reworked some time in the future. atleast some of them.
    The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.

Ok so here is what I think needs changing, Its maily the colours and the warhammer of the Town Militia..

1. Make the Head of the Warhammer in Town Militia a little bit smaller
    2. The Blue saddles of the Bree-Land Riders make it a darker blue same with Ranger Sentries
    3. Make the Scouts cloaks like the ones the Ranger Sentries have and make their outfit Dark Green or Brown
    4. On the Guardian Captain possiably make his gloves brown because Orange dosn't look right but oits not a major thing I would be happy eiter way

The rest I have no problem with They all look great

Thanx
    Raradir

these are very impressive. you have improved alot. the colors are abit bright but other than that great work

Greetings all. Long time lurker here, who has finally felt compelled to join. Like everyone has said, I greatly appreciate the amount of work that the modder has put into creating Eriador's units. But I also agree with most of the criticisms posted since the preview. I actually think that the colour scheme isn't too bad, and it's actually grown on me since this morning BUT:
    1. The Davy Crockett hats must go. I find the idea of raccoons roaming Middlearth faintly ridiculous. Even if they did, how hard would a fur hat be to acquire? I'm sure lesser units would find fur hats just as easy to find as "upgraded" units. The shields on the upgrades are cool though, so if just the hats went, I'm sure that everything would be super.
    2. The leafy scouts look like something out of Call of Duty 4. From what I've read, the team is going for realism and sticking closely to lore (and have rightly rejected some cool ideas to spice up other factions). I think the same rules should apply here - anything that looks funny or silly should change or go. I think the scouts look silly.
    3. If the colours were toned down just a little bit - a bit more weather-beaten perhaps - it would make a big difference. Surely, that wouldn't be too much work (or maybe it would)?
    Anyway, I'm not denying that a lot of work has been put into this, and I'm NOT saying I could do better (I wouldn't have a clue), it's just that a project like this is the some of its parts, and if one faction is out of place, the whole product suffers. It would be a shame to release a mod that isn't the best it can be. And I know I'll be unpopular for saying this, but I'd rather more time was taken with this - even if it meant a delayed release - than factions like Eriador were rushed (but looking at some of the other factions, things look far from rushed. They genuinely look amazing). Just my two cents...

i completely disagree about the scouts. do u honestly think that camouflage is new to combat. warriors for a long time would make armour and camo to hide themselves. i think the scouts should stay as is and i think their done well. for them looking like guys from COD4 i agree it looks modern but lets not just throw out the idea. maybe make them look more organic. the only thing i would change is the color scheme on some of the brighter units and the weapons need to be resized. maybe use the hammers from the venetians from vanilla.

Phunkracy's Avatar Senator

@Kretchet.

I've got some serious critics. They are not meant to insult You, but they rather serve the purpose of your self-improving.

1. Weapons.
    You should give up making your own weapons. They just don't fit the units and are too crude and blocky and, in most cases, simply too big. Use Vanilla ones instead, they not only provide wide variety of weapons, but are of good quality, and they can be reskinned if needed.
    To remove:
    -axes

-scythe

-halberd (use the vanilla one, the textures are better)

-town militia weapons -hammers are too big and too crude, need to be slightly changed or removed, the one weapon which they are not using is weird (not similiar to any medieval weapon) and handled in strange angle)

-spears of Breee land-raiders

Bandit's swords are suprisingly well done

2. Models
    They aren't always as good as they should be. But the only one which really needs changing is the 'ranger sentries' capes. They are supposed to look like they're floating in the wind, but they do not float when the Rangers are staying, am I right? So better make them normal.

3. Unit designs.
    Regardless what people are saying, the biggest flaws of your units are their designs. And the one who made them, needs some serious improvement, as well as painfull spanking in the ass.

a) Colours
    I don't know what made you think that Seledine would make excellent faction colour for Eriador. Seriously, don't you see the obvious contrast? It made your units look much worse that they actually could. They are also too bright, especially metalic textures.

Examples (10 minutes in PS to change the colours, effect-much better than original IMO):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Fixed no.1. ^ (I improved tegilay's texture, because I think it's a good concept to maje those warriors wear tegilay)

Colours are now much better.

b) Textures and base models
    And use vanilla elements, goddamnit!! It will be labour-saving, and will improve your units quality. There's nothing shameful of using basic models and textures, even modellers and skiners such as KK do it! (also, for Dunedain and scout units you could use modified Ithilien Rangers). And remove self-made faces and heads with vanilla ones, yours look bad.

c) Unit designs

Now, lets review each unit, one by one:

Lumbermen

Very good texture, although their faces aren't as good. Their eyes make them look like asians, I assume they shouldn't look like that?

Upgraded:
    First, I don't see any point of making lumbermen looking lik Davy Crocket. There are thousand possible hat designs, but you chose the most innapropiate. Also, why with the upgrade lumbermen are gaining additional shield? Doesn't it drastically change their balance? Also, this shield looks like very valuable one, while f.e. dale militia uses normal, viking-like round shield. How could any lumbermen possibly afford such shield?

Hunters
    Same as above.
    Peasant militia
    If you'd change the colour and the scythe they'd make well made unit.

Town milita
    I dunno what stands behing giving them blunt weapons and hammers. They're militia, goddamnit! They should be given spears and some other clothes and armour!- so far the only difference between them is their funny cap and weaponry. Give them mail/leather armour, change the funny hat into helmet!

Bree land raiders
    Change the colour and spears. Maybe you should give them upgrade (helmet and armour).

Ranger sentries
    Nicely made unit. Change the colour and shape of caps and it will be all right. Maybe a dismounted version?

Scouts
    Nonetheless I like the idea of some camouflage, the general look should be changed. So far leaves completly cover their clothes, which is rather strange. Instead, you could ask KK for permission and modify Rangers of Ithilien by removing Gondor symbol and adding some leaves into the texture.

Bandits
    Very poor design. Their shield, to be honest, sucks. Why lumbermen are able to afford some crazy-valuable shield, while bandits use some crazy-ass shield worth of being creation of some blind and crazy orc?! Give them normal shield, change the hair into normal, use vanilla faces, and add some details.

Greenwood Guards
    Nice unit, however you should decide if they are halberd unit or not, and definetly change the colours.

[/spoiler]
    So far that's all.
    Last edited by Phunkracy; February 27, 2009 at 12:42 PM.

yes exactly the colors are too bright and vanilla weapons will look much better. agree with all points above

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Deimos View Post
    i completely disagree about the scouts. do u honestly think that camouflage is new to combat. warriors for a long time would make armour and camo to hide themselves. i think the scouts should stay as is and i think their done well. for them looking like guys from COD4 i agree it looks modern but lets not just throw out the idea. maybe make them look more organic. the only thing i would change is the color scheme on some of the brighter units and the weapons need to be resized. maybe use the hammers from the venetians from vanilla.
    Fair enough. It's not the idea I dislike, but the execution. The camo idea is cool and does add some variety, but I would argue that looking modern is quite a big issue. Still, it's not beyond redemption - once again, I think the brightness has much to do with it, and if the leaves were darker, browner etc, they'd look much more at home in Middlearth.

Okey now I got sometime to look at the units.
    First of all really great improvement and I want to say to everyone that bashes this units: Look again you dumbass you probably don't even know what you don't like about it...
    And now some comments on them because they are not perfect(even some of KK's units need a little improvement and their is nothing wrong with that)
    -The shafts/ grip handle for the axes and the spears are just to big/large.
    -The spears need some sharpness they look pretty round to me xD
    -The hammer(already mentioned a thousand times) are way to big make them 2h or make them smaller.
    -Peasants are to bright, some say because they are rich they wear bright cloths, true... but peasants are not rich...
    -Make the pitchforker look sharper again to round.(I can't imagine you can stab with it)
    -Town militia have weird hats but that is my opinion I have seen them before but what the hell is it xD (just curious) is it leahter?
    -Scouts are to bright but they look cool
    -bandits some of them have brown/green cloths or something wtf is up with that does it show parts of his body or something?
    -Greenwood guards are to bright and the gloves xD dude my mom wears those when she is doing the dishes xD
    -And mayby some units need more details like ehmm KK's units but that is not really that important but it looks cool and people will give better comments...

Some things I really like:
    -The lumber-man and hunters have really nice cloths and I like the faces/heads (they are not round and big like some guys make them)
    -The variety of weapons for the peasants is really cool and a nice addition.
    -The shields are things I fell in love with, esspecially the ones from the lumber men and the greenwood guards they look awesome great job!
    -The halberds look really nice and cool
    -The helmets for the lumber men and hunters with the feather really nice I love it it gives some flavour.

So in total fantastic job but it needs some improvement.
    So they are not completly like some say(they are far from that!)

Greetz, BlackViper

And ooo +rep off course!

killerrabbit's Avatar Senator

I am not getting anything at
    Dunedain Rangers

Grey Company

Dunedain Knights

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Quote Originally Posted by killerrabbit View Post
    I am not getting anything at
    Dunedain Rangers

Grey Company

Dunedain Knights

again they will be added later, its noted in the preview post itself

Great Work! looks like you guys are train to make every faction very different.

Hm... I am not able to do what you did with this, so I have to say that alone for that, I consider it as good, but: I don't like this hats, the warhammers and the colours. We should remember what forces of Eriador consist of; Dunedain (look for good inspiration at the Games Workshop Models of Dunedain, Rangers of the North and Rangers of Eriador), and the descentans of the hillmen and dunlanders, which are usually painted in a celtic style. Sofar I like the kind of cloths they wear and the shields, not the hats and the hellebards.

Sorry, girlfriends calling...

GHreets and go on!!

The information some people include in their comments xD

as for Phunkracy, your colouring for the units is better then Krechet's, but please if you are trying to help out, keep it polite and formal. leave the "godamnits!!" out of it.

maxi90's Avatar Campidoctor

it doesn´t let me see the dunedain units...*sniff*..

edit: o wait now i see thet they will be added later. saveing the best for the end i gues
    Last edited by maxi90; February 27, 2009 at 12:46 PM.

Yes i dont like the upgraded Lumber-men hats either and i would preffered more swords, but the units look good and i belive they want to make every faction very different.
    Last edited by Basileutatos; February 27, 2009 at 12:50 PM.

i have gone back and looked at most of the weapons and i have to say they look out of place. please just give them vanilla weapons and shields and they will look so much better.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    You're wrong. It's not a wasteland.

I didn't say it was a wasteland, although there is a tremendous amount of it since the old kingdoms fell into ruin. I know there are quite large towns like Bree, etc, but I don't think they had much of an army. It might have been an idea if that area was controlled by the computer, but of course it has nothing to do with me, and you chaps are doing a wonderful job.
    Last edited by largejack; February 27, 2009 at 01:01 PM.

eatme's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hobbits Die Hard View Post
    2. The leafy scouts look like something out of Call of Duty 4. From what I've read, the team is going for realism and sticking closely to lore (and have rightly rejected some cool ideas to spice up other factions). I think the same rules should apply here - anything that looks funny or silly should change or go. I think the scouts look silly.
    3. If the colours were toned down just a little bit - a bit more weather-beaten perhaps - it would make a big difference. Surely, that wouldn't be too much work (or maybe it would)?
    Anyway, I'm not denying that a lot of work has been put into this, and I'm NOT saying I could do better (I wouldn't have a clue), it's just that a project like this is the some of its parts, and if one faction is out of place, the whole product suffers. It would be a shame to release a mod that isn't the best it can be. And I know I'll be unpopular for saying this, but I'd rather more time was taken with this - even if it meant a delayed release - than factions like Eriador were rushed (but looking at some of the other factions, things look far from rushed. They genuinely look amazing). Just my two cents...
    I 'd say that looking silly and being close to lore and realism is not at all the same. Former is an opinion - it may look silly to you, that's a matter of perception, the last is objective comparison, where it's said that scouts in JRRT's world couldn't camouflage with tree leaves ? How would you have it more realistic for a scout ? - wearing a badge on a chest saying look-a-here-Iam-scout ?
    As for the colours and polishing the skins, I would agree that the quality could be improved on these models. For instance, the camouflages could be improved to be less uniform, instead look more like clothes with some leaves on.
    Last edited by eatme; February 27, 2009 at 01:04 PM.

Dario, the Sicilian's Avatar Civis

The reason why people find these units bad, is probably because they are used to King Kong's amazing work, and now see the work of someone else and believe it's bad(because, without them knowing it, they compare these units with King Kong's) I don't find them that bad. I actually like the bright colours. The only thing I don't like is that the Town Militia has those big hammers.