Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Preview of Eriador (outdated)

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: -- Preview of Eriador --

Everyone is allowed to tell their own opinion but the way how you do it tells a lot about maturity of person.

He made a great work but he will have to impove his work

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Certainly, Varjon, but expressing on this way leads to nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Fereveldir View Post
    That's your opinion. Mine is different. What makes you think that only you are allowed to state your opinion?
    I agree...
    Everyone is allowed to tell their own opinion but the way how you do it tells a lot about maturity of person. :hmmm:
    and I agree
    But a question is : what with this Eriador and Dale units which looks worse(a lot) than others factions? I know this is not a huge problem but exist

I think this units are Ok, but they don't have much relation with the others factions models.
    You'll need to adapt them more to a fantasy saga like the Lord of The Rings.
    We few .We happy few
    We band of brothers

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Varjon View Post
    Everyone is allowed to tell their own opinion but the way how you do it tells a lot about maturity of person.
    I hope you are not referring to me, since i posted constructive critism and didn't bash Krechet.

Not to you but to some people who posted here.

Citizen

Not to you but to some people who posted here.
    Ok, but if I have been to harsh, i feel terribly sorry

I just wanted to make clear that they need to be reworked imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn of Carrok View Post
    Certainly, Varjon, but expressing on this way leads to nowhere
    You mean bashing is better than constructice criticism?

Citizen

You mean bashing is better than constructice criticism?
    No, he misunderstood you. He thought you were critisizing him. He means exactly the opposite

Oh, okay.

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

every day the previews get more and more numerous.....release soon?
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I'd say Rhûn is at least as difficult, if not more.
    I would imagine, I mean for me, having even a single visual reference from the movies of a unit from the faction would help a lot. This because that single unit would give the framework and the overall theme of the army and would help to build your other units according to this theme. As I imagine would be with Rhun.

Btw, I think the Greenwood Guards are very well modelled (especially the face), well to the standard of the rest of the mod. Even the texture is pleasant apart from the gauntlets.

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    While I won't besmirch Krechet (as he worked hard) no visual references is not something any artist should have a problem with. In fact it should have been easier as he wouldn't have to live up to a standard already set and he could create anything he felt like.

Take Isenguard for example. Absolutely amazing work, but it has to live up to the standard that the movie set and so Alletun has faced ALOT of critisizim.

I don't think the amount of criticism is proportionate to the quality of the units in any way. In my opinion, for the very reason Isenguard units are near perfect, people start criticising and making remarks about the small and fine details; that is to make them perfect instead of 'near' perfect. A point in case, the Isenguard units are receiving suggestions nearly exclusively concerning the mark of the white hand and other small details like the colour of the pike handle.

I do agree that Krechets units are texture-wise mostly inferior to the other previews we've seen, but I also think he has the most arduous and difficult job due to the lack of any visual reference. I also think that most of the modelling, especially the faces, is outstanding! Althought some rework is needed on the Ranger Sentries' cloaks and how they fold(or do not fold) on the horse.

+rep for Krechet to encourage continuing to practise already promising modding skills.
    Last edited by Smaug; February 27, 2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Added a quote from DisgruntledGoat and a response to it.

Dazo's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    I do tend to call a spade a spade.

But c'mon, they look out of place with the Lotr world in general; and definitely look out of place compared to the other factions.

Compare the quality of Mordor/Gondor/Isengard/Mist Mt's/Dwarves with these guys.

Now imagine one of those factions fighting these Eriador units on the battlefield map, would look ridiculous.
    Appreciate the effort put into them, but they are shite.
    - I can't agree with that because:
    * you can't compare with KK work, any preview would look "bad" if you do so then it isn't an option. As for KK with OoMM vs Dwarves or Mordor, if you need to compare, I think it's better to do it with Dale, the other faction he has done.
    * it would be "shite" only if those models were useless and that's not the case as they mostly need minor improvements to make it in the release. A least, you could have been a little more constructive about what you dislike.
    - Anyway, I'm for speech freedom so I'll go to the main point:
    * Too much brightness: true but perhaps it has something to do with screen captures (as it seems to me the whole pics are quite bright but I'm not sure). For some units like capitan guard or greenwood guard, I believe it's mainly because of the armor/mail (something like sun reflection ).
    * Too much colorfull: yes, some pics were shot in technicolor so what ? Does anyone have visual reference for these ? Many people on Earth had really colorfull uniforms trough history (Ottomans, Mameluks, Imperial mercenary troops and so on...). I know many people want to "paint it black" but Dale will be a quite rich faction so people there has the right to wear some fancy clothes to show it, no ?
    * Scouts: first, they're greatly done, second, many people think that's modern camouflage, it's true for any industrial printed clothes but Middle-age warriors used to dirt their armors to avoid light reflections for night assault. It's not unreasonnable to think they also used boughs to hide siege equipment or light units. I don't know about the lore on this peculiar point but in a fantasy world with magic, well...
    * Warhammer size: since men of Dale cooperated for a long time with Dwarves, I believe some of them learnt to use their metalsmith techniques and even tools. Sure their work won't be the same quality as their teacher's one but at least they can use such heavy tools. However I would agree that it'd be better if two-handed (something like Lossarnach axemen but more a militia troop than a regular one).
    * I also agree that fur tails for hunters upgrade is a great idea though a little too much er... floating in the air :hmmm:. It's the same for ranger sentries' cloak but I know this is a difficult part (winded flag animation :hmmm. Perhaps you should just stick it to the horse as if it were heavier.
    * Peasant militia and bree-land riders are good shots but in my opinion, spears need to be sharpened a little for riders (peasant militia weapon's edges are fine). 1st level hunters and lumber men are fine.
    * The captain model for hunters upgrade has great cloak with dale emblem on it but the dunedain captain need a little more detailed body (mostly belt and chest).
    - All in all, Krechet(SiCh), I'd say good work, not great (yet) but good so keep it going .
    Last edited by Dazo; February 27, 2009 at 10:38 AM.

Great units!

Foederatus

Personally I'm surprised Eriador is a playable faction at all. I didn't think there would be any civilisation left in that region capable of conquest, but I could be wrong?

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

You're wrong. It's not a wasteland.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

Radboud's Avatar Luctor et Emergo

I think krechet did a good job (considering that modding is difficult), it needs to be reworked a bit here and there though.

The Doge of Venice's Avatar Senator

First off i'll say anyone who wants to insult them can go ahead and make better units themselves and then be allowed to talk and even then you'll still be rude. My one question is whether Krechets computer is playing the game at maximum graphical settings, it almost looks like those in game shots are on medium settings or something. Yeah I agree theres alot of tune up to do but it's definetlely a good start, I want to know KK's opinion on this as mod leader and what will be done.

Looks great , i like the scouts