Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chivalry FAQ & Info

Default Chivalry FAQ & Info

A new FAQ will be provided for 0.50 release /DaVinci

About the mod:

Chivalry Total War is a historical modification of the game Rome: Total War. Its aim is to recreate the historical period of medieval Europe from roughly 1072-1500.
    The original purpose of the mod was to make a small medieval multiplayer mod that tried to capture the gameplay of Medieval: Total War. Since then the mod has tuned into a Total Conversion, meaning that all aspects of the original game (campaign, custom battles, historical battles etc.) are now converted into Chivalry's medieval setting (the exact features are listed below).
    The 034 release is solely focusing on the Early medieval period (1072-1250). Because of time constraints we cannot include all the Era's at the moment (High and Late), though these are expected to be provided in future versions as soon as possible.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Is this a mod for RTW?

A: Yes

Q: When is this mod set?

A: The mod is based in the Medieval period from the years 1072 - 1500

Q: Will you be releasing the mod all at once?

A: No, we plan on releasing the mod in the three medieval periods, Early, High and Late. The next beta will be of th Early era.

Q: Has the Mod been released yet ?

A: Yes, a BETA version of the mod has been released already (version 0.34), you can get it on this on the website. Once again remember it is only a beta, so it is recommended that you post feedback and bugs that you encounter in the appropriate forum topics.

Q: Does the current version feature a Campaign mode ?

A: Yes. We are the first RTW Total Conversion mod to properly feature one.

Q: Where are all the flashy Chivalric knights and Gothic Halberdiers ??

A: The current version covers only the EARLY medieval period, the more hi-tech ( and sometimes more classical) units will be added in a later patches of the mod. Look at our Late and High era sneak peak topics for some screenshots.

Q: What factions are in the mod ?

A: The Factions are as follows

The Kingdom of Bohemia
    The Kingdom of Norman-Sicily
    The Holy Roman Empire (Germans)
    The Kindom of France
    The Kingdom of England
    The Kingdom of Denmark
    The Kingdom of Poland
    The Kingdom of Hungary
    The Principality of Novgorodian Rus
    The Principality of Kieven Rus
    The Byzantine Empire
    The Kingdom of Castille and Leon (Spain)
    The Kingdom of Aragon (Spain)
    The Moors (Almohads/Almoravids)
    The Caliphate of Egypt
    The Seljuk Turks
    The Horde (Mongols/Golden Horde)
    The Teutonic Order
    The Crusader States
    The Kingdom of Cilician-Armenia

Q. Is this for RTW or the Barbarian Invasion expansion?
    A. Either one can play it, though by default the Chivalry executable runs through RTW. If you want to play it through Barbarian Invasion then you have to right click on the Chivalry executable file, then go to properties and in the target line replace "RomeTW.exe" with "RomeTW-BI.exe".

Q. What patch do you need to run ChivalryTW?
    A. You need patch 1.6 for BI or 1.5 for RTW depending on what you want to run it on (see above).

Q. I get an error about some mount database
    A. Make sure that the RTW data has not been changed. If there are any changes at all to the vanilla data files then you will probably get this error.

Q. I get a ctd when I go to play custom battles or start a campaign
    A. Make sure you have installed everything 100% correctly. Check things like:
    *You already had RTW 1.5/BI 1.6 installed
    *No mods in your RTW data folder
    *You have RTW installed to C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War

Q. Will there be medieval castles and sieges?
    A.Yes, we have them done but there were problems in the 1.3/BI conversion. If alpaca is given enough support then he will fix this problem quickly in a patch.

Q. How come I'm losing lots of money each turn? How can I make more?
    A. In Chivalry we have made general income costs higher for units. This balances out our 0 recruitment system, but also represents attrition for large armies quite well. There are two general things to keep in mind when you want to keep upkeep costs down:
    1. Only use relatively cheap units (such as urban militia and spearmen) as town guard units during times of peace or in settlements that aren't near your frontline.
    2. When recruiting large armies send them straight to their objective as soon as possible. Once they have served their purpose disband them immediately, preferably in one of your settlements to keep the population levels up for the next mass recruitment.

Hopefully the economy will be stronger in the next patches with the inclusion of resources, but this general concept will stay the same.

Q. Can you please include X faction/ Why weren't they included?
    A. We are all for including other factions in our mod. However, we are not super modders or paid developers so we can't be expected to make all the units and graphics necessary for each one. Furthering that, RTW has a limit of 20 factions at one time in a campaign.
    We can, however, include more factions through batch scripts. This still requires some people to externally make all necessary elements for the faction though. Contact the mod leaders for more details.

Team Members

Current team members

alpaca (Stefan Reutter) - mod leader, coder, scripter
    militiaman (Peter Cooper) - mod leader, coder
    Dirty Peasant (Fyodor Nadtoka) - skinner, modeller, animator
    Adherbal (Lukas Nijsten) - skinner, modeller, coder, scripter (right now more of an advisor)
    Hody - research, Bohemia
    Polak966 - research, coding

Earlier/inactive team members

Kor Khan (Daniel Hungerford)
    Robert D'Artois
    Randarkmaan
    Arakorn-Eir
    CNSW
    Andriyko
    Lance
    Drak10687
    Darth Fenrir
    Alin
    BuuKenshin
    VikingHorde
    NinjaCool

Special Thanks

Testing and balancing:
    Alexandros
    AggonyDuck
    Crow
    Antek
    Tom
    Jhonny
    Lu Bu

- Strategic Command Center - for forum and mod hosting
    - Vercingetorix - for his awesome modding tools
    - Edgen Animations - for the excellent music track
    - Europa Barbarorum - for animations, and research on several modding aspects
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 18, 2006 at 10:12 PM.

Imperial_Legionaire_Empire's Avatar Libertus

Sry im new to this forum and i have only just dicovered the brilliant MODs you are ceating for Rome, i have view your work on SPQR and also this Chivalry Total War. I have alway woundered if Total War was going to bring out a Medieval in Rome graphics and you have done it before them, and it look simpressive. I was going to downlaod it when a few thought crossed my mind, can you give me a read me link for the MOD. I would like to know if you need 2 copies of Rome for it, because i would be a shame if you did since Rome to too big for more than one copy of it. So then i would download the multiplayer beta versiona nd test it out with my clan m8s and wiat for you interesting campain map. Thanks for the MOD!
    Empire

this post shoul help:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index...howtopic=26459

you need a new RTW copy if you want to play RTW vanilla, there's not much point in making it switchable because this is a total conversion which will in the end replace almost every RTW file.
    A new game development studio focusing on historical strategy games
    http://www.the-artistocrats.com

Would I be able to make a copy of Rome TW on my D drive and use that one to convert and keep Rome on the C drive?
    Because i am a leading member of a Rome clan and i and another leading member want to try out your interesting MODs and really what im sating is that i carnt and dont want to loose Rome completely.
    Empire

yes you can, I do that. It's also handy to have an original version for backup.
    Remember to patch it to 1.2 before you copy it.
    A Mod for Med2 Kingdoms:

THERA:REDUX

Click here:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/thera-redux

thank you m8. Whent he campaign map comes out, it will be like a patch for the current beta. So at the moment its a online and cutomn battle MOD. And once the rest comes out it will be added right? lol.
    Empire

visit http://imperiallegionnaire.tripod.com/

yep, and some historical battles

"sweet"
    "Totaly"
    Ok. Carnt wait, any eta or is it still under early stages. Because i think i remember the forum page on campaign map that it provinces were based on MTW, i will take this convesation to that topic but, will you change the colour so that they match the right factions, So England=Red
    France=Blue
    Germany(Holy Roman Empire)=Black
    Italy=Dark Green
    Byzantine=Purple
    Hungary=A faint Brown
    Poland=A different shade of Red(Darker)
    Papal States= Peache
    Sicily=Silver
    Spain=Yellow
    Early Russia=Light Blue
    Alamondes(Carnt spell that right)=Orange
    Egypt=fainter yellow
    Golden Horde=Gold
    Turkey=Light Green
    Swiss=Grey
    Danes=White
    Rebel=Dark Grey
    Aragon=Pink(ish)
    Thank you
    Empire

we're not following MTW faction colors. I'm basing them on the faction icon/shields.

Ok cool. Even more interesting. And rebel banners, are they the same as Rome, well i supose it would be easyer for u guys, but 1 question about rebels, do they just apear like on Rome or do they attack things like your forts and towns, rampage through Britain(eg) and kill all the peasants and burn the farms before the kings men and a Royal army finally catch up and butcher the treasonas Rebels. "Hooah"
    Empire

Very good mod, I like the idea of medieval factions. I was looking at one of the campaign map screenshots and noticed a unit took 0 turns to build. Is this mod planning on having 0 turn build times for all units or some units?
    Seeing as the mongols aren't on the campaign map(they invaded in the 1200s), how will they come into play? Do they pop up after a certain number of turns?
    Also, will this mod have more than 2 turns per year or not?

Semisalis

Will this Mod have the Early, Late, and High Eras as different campaaigns or do you play from 1173 all the way towards 1453?
    In ethical theory, I should care. I know that I should care. However, emotionally, to be perfectly honest, I don't give a damn.
    --Darth Wong

Is this mod planning on having 0 turn build times for all units or some units?
    still to be decided

Seeing as the mongols aren't on the campaign map(they invaded in the 1200s), how will they come into play? Do they pop up after a certain number of turns?
    we can't make factions appaer, but they'll probably "lay low" till the high era.

will this mod have more than 2 turns per year or not?
    no

Will this Mod have the Early, Late, and High Eras as different campaaigns
    yes

What will the dates be for early, high and late? How will the Papacy work, is it like the Senate missions? Will ChivTW have some sort of ZoR or assimilation?(like what RTR 6.0 is going to have.) I'm interested in how the castles and forts will look on the battlemap.

Kor Khan's Avatar Semisalis

What will the dates be for early, high and late?
    None of it's really certain, but the early era will probably start in 1071. The High era will possibly start just after the Golden Horde has arrived. The late era will probably end in 1453 with the siege of Constantinople.

How will the Papacy work, is it like the Senate missions?
    The Pope will indeed take the role of the Senate and will give senate missions, like in R:TW. Unfortunately, as we cannot make more of them, there will only be three "Roman" factions that the Pope gives these missions to. The missions will have a similar function to crusades.

Will ChivTW have some sort of ZoR or assimilation?(like what RTR 6.0 is going to have.)
    There will quite possibly be something quite similar for regional units (like Swiss Pikemen). I'm not sure about the details, as that's not the bit I'm working on, but I think the system will end up quite similar to that of M:TW.

I'm interested in how the castles and forts will look on the battlemap.
    Don't worry, some day you'll find out what they look like...

Laetus

Does this have the Knights Templar in it? Also, will I still be able to play my RTR modded game?

Semisalis

Will you be able launch Crusades and Jihads MTW style with a GIGANTIC Army in one stack?
    In ethical theory, I should care. I know that I should care. However, emotionally, to be perfectly honest, I don't give a damn.
    --Darth Wong

Does this have the Knights Templar in it? Also, will I still be able to play my RTR modded game?
    yes knight templar units are in.
    you will be able to play any other mod if you make a seperate RTW install.

Will you be able launch Crusades and Jihads MTW style with a GIGANTIC Army in one stack?
    no, army sizes are fixed at 20 units max (there is no more room in the battle interface)

Are you planning to release the final after the expansion? I ask this because the expansion may include an 'era selection,' and this would be easier to simply copy than to program all on your own.
    This looks very good though, and I look forward to it.

Oh yeah, will any units have elephants in this? Are you planning on expanding the map further to the east?

"Our country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't be any America - because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race." LtGen Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller USMC

hopefully it'll be done before the Xpack release. After that, whether we support it or not will depend on the Xpack. I won't get it if it doesn't have enough major improvements.

Oh yeah, will any units have elephants in this? Are you planning on expanding the map further to the east?
    no, the map will only have an expansion to the north (scotland, sweden/norway). And no, there won't be any elephants (don't think they were around anymore by the time - certainly not frequently enough to justify a unit of them)

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast