Thread: End of 2nd turn CTD

Default End of 2nd turn CTD

Yes, another CTD topic.
    My game crashes after EVERY second turn, no matter what I do.
    Mostly, I hear the sounds over and over, such as the end-turn sound and the "We are besieged!(Macs)" sound, but not always. I have version 3.4. It always happens when I start a new campaign (I have no saved games). Is it the autosave? Or something else?
    Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:
    Fix'd
    Last edited by Mister S; February 28, 2009 at 02:49 AM. Reason: update

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: End of 2nd turn CTD

Welcome to the forum, Mister S!

I think you'll find a solution in the latter half of this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=227061
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

I'm sorry, but what do you mean with "the script"? I'm a bit of a noob.

The script is the power that runs through all events in the game and binds them together. Sort of like the Force, except more temperamental.

Basically, it makes the game do unusual things that we tell it to, like having 4 turns per year instead of two. If it doesn't run, strange things happen. Make sure always to do two things:
    1) When you start a campaign game, click on a settlement and just do nothing for a couple of seconds. That makes sure it runs.
    2) When you exit a campaign game, shut down the entire game instead of starting or loading a game. Otherwise, the script gets all twisted on itself.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Thanks, that helped... if I get to the second turn. I am still getting frequent CTD's when I end a turn, and I have tried all the solutions available on this board. Once again, any help?

How did you install the game?

Since I broke my 1st Rome-cd (not kidding, i'll post a pic if you want me to), I downloaded it (I normally never download, but i already own this game, so...).

Installed it using Daemon tools and my other 2 Rome cd's, and afterwards I installed BI (with my cd, of course) and patched to 1.6.
    Then I unzipped the 3.2 version into the Rome directory (yes, I know there should be a ExRM folder, and there was one).
    Unzipped the 3.4 patch into the ExRM folder, started playing and... bug.

Thanks for the help (so far?) by the way, you're being really helpful!

UPDATE:
    I've installed TIC and the game worked fine. no CTD's. So it has got to be something with the ExRM install.
    Last edited by Mister S; February 28, 2009 at 04:22 AM.

Thanks. I do my best.

Ok, thank you for the narrative. I think I've spotted two potential problems.
    1) Open up the ExRM folder. Is there another ExRM folder inside it? If so, right-click on it and see how big it is. If it's > 0 bytes, you've installed the patch incorrectly and you need to move everything in there down a level.
    2) Did you install the 3.4.1 hotfix?

I finally got it to work.
    I didn't see an extra ExRM folder, but I have not installed the 3.4.1 hotfix. I couldn't find it, so I just deleted the ExRM fodler and used bladerunner's installer, which includes the hotfix. It worked perfectly after that. Thanks for all the help!

And btw, I'm 2 hours into my game, and I like it a lot. It's much better than RTR vanilla.

I'm glad!