Thread: Quake 4

PROFESSORPAUL's Avatar Senator

Here is the latest news:

http://www.actiontrip.com/link.phtml?http:...ntent/view/777/

And here is a sample screenshot:

http://www.cgonline.com/images/stori...e4/quake41.jpg

Sounds cool, cause I loved Quake and Quake 2 when it first came out and cant wait to see the story continued (still dont know why Quake 3: Arena completely just cut off from the main storyline).

But one thing that really discourges me is how Quake 4 looks very similar to Doom 3. I wanted something different.

Well, its just one screenshot, and Quake 4 is far from being done, so maybe it will get better. As long as the physics arent as clunky and odd feeling as they were in Doom 3, I'll still get this game.

".........." -Gordon Freeman

PROFESSORPAUL's Avatar Senator

Ohhhh........

I just found out that Quake 4 is actually using the Doom 3 engine but its modifying it.

That is so ******. Now believe me, the Doom 3 engine was good, but the models felt like they were plastic and the physics... well.... they werent the "best" around.

Damn, I thought they were going to use their own engine.

Well, I guess I'll see how it gets on the ratings before I buy it.

".........." -Gordon Freeman

Well of course it's using the Doom 3 engine.

But what I'm worried about is that it's being published by Activision. And I have no desire to spend my money on any more Activision games.
    All the world is but a stage,
    and though all in it merely players,
    they play with such a violent rage,
    as to send it running red with portent.

sign here please: Orolinwe

Quake 4 sounds cool but i've never really been into games that require you to be on crack in order to be considered good, lol. Unreal Tournament is just as bad if not worse.... these games are like playing most others on fast forward.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

(Ignore this post:- it was moved from somewhere else, yet only having one quake 4 related line )
    morecuriousthanbold.com

I remember reading an article regarding Quake 4 some time ago in PC Gamer. It looks promising so far. The Doom 3 engine annoys me for some reason. The engine just seems so inflexible and one-dimensional; that is to render dark corridors, dark atmospheres, and baddies lunging out at you like jack-in-the-boxes. Hopefully it'll be good. I never liked nor played Quake 3 much, but I loved Quake 2 and I hear Quake 4 will be oriented towards Quake 2.

The new PC gamer is the place to go.....It has a six page article on it, and it basically looks amazing.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Has anyone seen the Quake 4 video on IGN. This is going to be one helluva a good game if you ask me. It doesnt have a marvelous story, or even the most original story in the world: what it does have is an art style. The strogg look quite simply: really friggin cool.

I do wish they hadn't told us that you got turned into a Strogg: just imagine the reaction of the player to it if he didnt know. It would be like how for some reason the shadlebridge cradle was kept under wraps till you got there, then when you did......things were never the same.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Cliomhdubh's Avatar Campidoctor

animal i miss quake 1 and 2 it wont play on my xp

From the great Gales of Ireland
    Are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry,
    And all their songs are sad.
    G. K. Chesterton

I still have Quake 2 sitting around. Works fine for me.

Wonder who'll be doing the music for Quake 4 though? I would like to see NIN do it, but I doubt their style would fit well considering the atmosphere of Quake 2 and Quake 4. Damn uhhh... what were they called, Straugg? Hell if I remember. Quake 4 better have my favorite weapon, the grenade launcher. Another thing, I actually find the Doom 3 engine annoying.

Yes, same here. Quake 2 works fine, except for the Outer Courts level. Anytime I jump into the water, the game crashes.

But moving on to Quake 4...I'm excited...to a degree. From what I've experienced, Doom 3 is great and all for a slow-paced action shooter, but what I'm worried about is the transition from slow-paced action to fast-paced action (something Quake 2 was great at). And last I checked, they weren't pulling a Doom 3 and slowing things down.
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side.