Thread: Broken Axes ~ OR ~ Blitz Bohemia Challenge (BBC AAR)

Default Broken Axes ~ OR ~ Blitz Bohemia Challenge (BBC AAR)

Hey, Ala here again.

This is *another* Bohemia one, but unlike the Swords & Axes one, this won't have story/plot. It'll be more of me showing how exactly I blitz off the bat with Bohemia.

As one of his responses to the Swords & Axes blitz-war:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    This is played on H/VH, really?
    However, i'm amazed how you did this all
    The Rise of the Knighthood campaign has a harder start for Bohemia for sure (i'm the one who created all start situations in this mod since version post 0.34). I over the time increased the possibility to suvive, for Bohemia, as they (had) have as AI a very hard situation, and often were killed pretty soon. Still, their start situation is compared to others pretty hard, and it is different in the Rise of the Knighthood, also if the starting leaders are younger. Ie. the Saxon region in your western neighborhood is independent in Rise of the Knighthood, and have quite strong armies who are eager to attack the human player in the field (this is what happened to me, and they killed my family member(s), version 0.99.x.
    If you don't believe this, then try the same some day in future, on H/H, with the Rise of the Knighthood. If you can achieve the same result as in the above AAR, then you for me the "Master of Bohemia"
    I'm playing this on Hard / Very Hard (or Knight / High Noble Knight) for the same reasons as in S&A - Hard campaign diffivulty gives the AI +10000 gold/turn, this dissappears in Very Hard (possibly a bug).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ======= PART 1 ========
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who've used this faction, Bohemia starts with 2 regions under it's control. And a few spear militia/archer units. I disbanded the archers immediately, but the spears could be used for pushing rams.

Poland didn't feel up to an alliance. Meh, I blized them in S&A and 2 versions back in Chiv. They have undeveloped towns that will harbor lots of unrest, so I'll leave them alone for a while.

If you were wondering, I moved my faction heir up to the capital to join the faction leader. This first turn, they'll chill, as their bodyguard count isn't at its maximum (will be next turn).

Ok, second turn, the two of them set out north. You can see that the rebel town seems to have no one in it - usually, there will be one rebel family member there - there is a stack of rebel troops around. I didn't see them this turn, which is annoying.

Grab a quick alliance with Hungary. They share a border with only one of their regions - they're not the best targets for now, either.

Since I have no idea where the rebel stack is, I just go ahead and siege the city with the Faction Leader / Heir.
    When i as Bohemia for example besieged the northern Sorbic neighborhood "Bidzyzin", i instantly was attacked by huge independent stacks (in the camp "Rise of the Knighthood" though), and lost latest the second battle, and my Family member(s) died heroicly.
    Remember what he said, it'll become obvious in a moment why this is important. I click "End Turn".

This drew in the wandering stack. Observe the family member appearing as reinforcements - that's very bad, because of how powerful knights are, especially with the AI's bonuses on elevated difficulty settings. I simply run away, and :

They follow. Now there are no knights with them. As a result:

Ahaha~ silly AI. Alright, onto my turn...

I got a family member joining. This is VERY odd, as I had two, and two regions. Still, that's fine.

He goes down to my second town. My capital is Tier 3, this one is only Tier 2. Tier 3 (castle) is important because it allows the upgraded tavern, which means Experience 1 Doghead units.

These axe-wielding canines are something I will leverage to a ridiculous amount, allowing me to build only 3+6 turns of military (tavern + upgrade) and then a lot of economy.

Dogheads are armor piercing. Against an armored spearman, which might have 8 armor, that 2 attack turns into 2+4 = 6. Against a light/medium horse with 4 armor, they have a -1 penalty, so it's 2-1+2=3 (not too bad, that's the same for a Feudal/Dismounted Sergeant). VS heavy cavalry, like family members or knights with 12 armor, Dogheads have 2-1+6=7 attack.

As you can see, armor piercing units get better as the enemy brings out heavier troops. Eventually it doesn't work, as you will see, but a full stack with maybe 10 units (or more) of these can indeed shred knights and heavy foot. (If they don't rout). But anyway...

I take a spear militia unit from the capital and siege the town again. This time there aren't any rebels who will come to help it.

Little city gets some basic rights.

I try to get Poland to ally again. They just give cash? Whatever ...

One trick. If all the cities have no governor but one, guess where all the slaves go? Alternatively, if there are NO governors anywhere, the slaves just spread all around, I think.

AI's turn passes without incident. I prepare to assault the town. With all my knights vs the AI's, even a +7 attack bonus won't save them.

Ramming down the gate. Note how nicely the ram works

Generally, if you don't have a unit step inside the square, any AI units "defending" it will stand still. Here I line up the heir to get a charge into their backs.

Get the charge off, it goes pretty well. Usually charging into a plaza can be a little buggy - I've seen units slowly walk up and never charge at all.

Into the melee. I switched to swords just for fun. Though it's a huge mess there, it's very fine, as each AI knight is being attacked on all sides by my own. They go down fast, as they lost some in the charge, and others have lost 1 HP.

The only real reason I can get 15 kills to 2 is because of that. If the numbers were more even (like 20 vs 15) I would take quite a few losses thanks to the AI's bonus. But they were massively outnumbered there.

Send all the slaves over to my other city. (I'll call it the subcapital from now on). It's important to get it up to Tier 3 at some point, so that I will have the capability to train 2 units of Experience 1 Dogheads per turn. (Spammy - like the AI)

The population is mostly Christian, but the "official religion" is Paganism/Non-conformism. I just whistle up the inquisitors (reference to S&A). They'll riot for one turn and settle down. Note that the Faction Leader/Heir are NOT going to stay inside - that's just asking for someone to die pointlessly. Let the spear militia do it. 0% public order isn't a problem if it's only one turn.

What the knights do is make for the nearby rebel city. It's rather well built up, if memory served me correctly. Tier 3, though it can't train Dogheads. However, there's that one unit blocking me, and inside the city is a LOT of armored spearmen, so I'll stand on the river and wait for now.

Some other rebel stack came and attacked. I don't want to fight them along with the others, so I retreat.

They follow, of course. I was rather shocked to see the rebels somehow had two units of Saxon knights. That'll be screwy...

Set up on a hill. This is using the minimal UI, which is annoying as I don't know how to change the game speed with it.

The enemy's mounted sergeants (light horse) are in front. Excellent, they'll eat a downhill charge ...

One of their units is breaking off, maybe to flank me. However, as I don't have a center, I simply have one group to to the left, one to the right.

Left group getting ready.

Right group. Doesn't seem like the enemy will get off their own charge.

Left group charges and hits. Note that the enemy is STANDING there, as I charge them. Silly AI.

Similarly, the right group gets off a good charge.

The mounted sergeants break off. I let them, because I'm worried about those heavy horse that have gotten uphill of me.

The left group (faction heir) is having problems - getting swarmed. This is what I try to do to enemy knights. Anyway, the faction leader gets a running start and charges into the side of the enemy.

Not sure what the knights are doing there.

You can see both of the knight units standing to the side. I'm afraid that the AI thinks it's flanking me. Problem is that the heir, with his depleted unit, is on that side.

Enemy general staying far away. Good. I can't kill him quickly enough to prevent everyone else from swarming.

Enemy knights move uphill again. Not good.

Yep. they start chasing the heir. That one unit of knights that'll be distracted for a while. I can't withdraw, so he just runs as fast as he can so that the faction leader can kill as many as possible.

Trying to slaughter these guys ... but of course, there's just too many ...

I can't withdraw, so I just use the "other" option. Quit the battle. Auto loss, of course. Still, 2:1 kill-loss ratio isn't bad, for being outnumbered by AI units. Given, my knights have 2hp, and the AI's only had 1 ...

If you were worried about the heir with his 3 bodyguards and himself, they were fine. When it's my turn again, they have regenerated some. Not still at full strength, of course, so that'll be a lost turn. Remember that, you rebels - took down 50 knights!!

Anyway, I add a tavern in the capital. I think those mines were started on turn 2. They're VERY important - 1000 gold/turn means I can keep another 5 units of Dogheads. The upgraded mines will give +2000/turn.

Quick glance at my newest town. They'll be fine once the Holy Places kicks in and makes the official religion Christian.

It'll take a while before I can make Dogheads, queue up a spear militia for garrison/ram duties.

Moved up that third family member. Extra 16 knights - good stuff.

See that? AI again ... it's probably a single family member.

They're both rebel, but they won't help one another, just so you know. I just siege the town.

THIS again. Ok, I need to get away from the town reinforcements.

WHAT I don't ... all those infantry. ... and it's the same guy, too. Even got some of his mounted sergeants left.

Another glorious defeat for Bohemia. Everyone makes it back to the home base alive (well, the nobles anyway =P)

Add execution places. Note that the nobles are standing OUTSIDE the town. They're so penalized they make construction more expensive just by being in the city.

Come winter and full strength knight units, I wander out again - and get ambushed. Damn rebels ...

Another chivalric loss. Note that many, many rebels were killed, though.

Look at what two battles have done - my knights are fine, but the rebel troops have been chopped down to about 1/3 of what they started with. Ahaha~ General bodyguard abuse.

I add the upgraded mines (remember the 2000 gold/turn). Also queue up an upgraded tavern. No need to rush for it just yet, as the first few Doghead units will probably only push rams and garrison. This early on, knights will do the heavy (and light) lifting. I train a unit of DHs anyway, for the uses mentioned earlier.

There's some new rebel stack, but you can see they don't have a family member with them.

I set an ambush. Hopefully they will not just stucj next to that rebel family member stack that you see there and come by themselves to die...

Tavern in the subcapital. Need to get those channels open for mass Doghead recruitment.

Wow, that's the rebel stack... rather impressive, with mounted sergeants and armored spearmen.

Lalala~ knights are so overpowered, they stomp everything that isn't also a knight.

Put in orders for more dogheads. I see some quick town taking in progress, and will be moving garrisons up as I go along, of course.

Full of confidence, the knights run over to engage the rebels. Let's do this -

Victory! The other 256 guys you see "surviving" will disppear. The enemy noble is dead of course. Now the way is open to take that town!

Siege it. My knights can't scrape together a ram in a single turn. Pity, what a waste.

Come winter, two infantry units gets there and help build the ram.

Subcapital gets execution places queued up. Why not?

A fresh unit of dogheads starts moving to the front. They'll reach in time to take part in the assault, then they'll form the garrison.

Assault is nothing hard, just like the last one. AI is hopelessly outnumbered.

New town is already christian, great! And where are the knights?

Wait, what are you doing?

Ahaha~ Got you! Next turn, I'll get another town.

Oh, come ON. Of all the ... well, I just give up.

Roads for the subcapital. It'll be an important hub for activities on the eastern side when we get there.

Remember that town that had all the armored spearmen in it that I got chased away from? I sieged it, and they sallied.

6 units of armored spearmen, 2 of armor piercing swordsmen, 1 family member and 1 unit of knights. The knights will be the top priority, of course.

This battle will be continued in part 2, which I'll be writing right after this, but is posted separately because there are already 86 pictures in this *one* post.
    Last edited by Alavaria; March 16, 2009 at 12:04 AM.

Default Re: Broken Axes ~ OR ~ Blitz Bohemia Challenge (BBC AAR)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ======== PART 2 =======
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is where I start off. You can see that corner there - the enemy will appear around there.

You can see them coming now. I think they were running for some reason.

Quick close up. You can see the general and knights are at the front. Excellent, I'll get a good charge in on them.

There's the general. His knights are moving away for some reason, all the better - I'll surround and cut him down.

The knights were trying to flank, I think.

You can see that I don't care about those knights anymore. I'm trying to get the heirs units around to the side of the enemy family member. The faction leader's unit is getting in a good charge.

A clean connect. I think the enemy was standing still again. The heir's unit just runs in as well. Might have messed up a bit. There you see those infantry are running up ...

Enough for now, I run away. Getting bogged down in infantry with enemy horse about is a recipe for "Crushing Defeat". Don't like those, haven't gotten them in quite a while.

Just run back and form up. I'll get a charge as they walk/run up to me.

>>>
    Doesn't happen. There's the general again. get him!! Note those heavy infantry there. The other two units get into combat with those knights. You can see they're already down to 3, haha.

Can't kill the general... his 2 hp knights are too hardy! Run from the infantry.

Everyone form up again. Might get a proper charge off again.

... never mind. Kill the general!

Gotcha.

With morale shaken, these armored spearmen are easy pickings.

>>>
    See those guys chasing that unit of knights? When they get charged from the side ...

The unit that was being chased and the small unit line up as two more units of spearmen come in. You can see the small one will take the left group of spears from the front, the larger one will slam in on them at an angle.

Well, they broke too quickly. Whatever.

>>>
    See in the horizon that unit being chased by the feudal sergeants? Well, here comes some help from the side, and off they go. With knights, charging is very powerful. As powerful is the ability to always manouver and hit from the side or back. Players are very good at this ... the AI, less so.

>>>
    Two units of swordsmen are caught as they try to move for the gate. It isn't a charge (lances were up) but just being tapped in their rear makes them run for it.

>>>
    Another group is caught on the march and runs.

THIS GATE!!!!

>>>
    Why are they always running for it?

>>>
    You see, these gates are actually the Gates to Hades.

>>>
    As these hapless soldiers will soon discover

>>>
    Fly, oh foolish fools!

Note the timer flag. The small unit of knights is standing at the square. 1:39 to go

.... Deathwish.

Party in front of the enemy gates. Why is that?

This town (the one I took just before this) went up to Tier 2. Good for them!

As you can see, it's Tier 3 and pretty well built up for a rebel town. Safe port has a nice law bonus, so we'll go for that after the usual Execution Places.

Subcapital getting a proper garrison than spear militia.

More dogheads for the front. Let's keep the party rollin'. Rolling, rolling ...

Remember that HRE town that had plague, well, let's go there and - what's this?

Ahaha~ armored peasants. Good going.

Sieged and took the town. Nothing new. Plague cleared up pretty fast, huh? Not sure why that was.

While the others decided to go south, the Faction Leader decided to solo this small group of armored militia (he's getting old, I don't care if he dies, honestly)

You don't need to be a genious to figure out a little teamwork would have helped. Still, he took out half of them with just his bodyguard.

I don't care if he dies, I don't care if he dies, I don't care if he dies, I don't care if he dies, I don't care if he dies.

They didn't chase him - went south instead. So I gather up everyone (got another new family member somewhere) and follow. Nice town here, too. Touches a bunch of HRE regions, and there are rivers between us and them. Great place to put a stronger-than-average group of Dogheads and a general to keep the HRE intimidated and/or busy.

Dungeons. FYI, this place CANNOT train the Bohemian "Varlets of Bohemia" (it ain't in Bohemia). But I can use some spies, so yep. Capital is busy with other things.

First town I took. Look, it's all grown up at Tier 2. Let's build it...

Similarly, the subcapital is ready for tier 3 - Castle. Good, good ... soon the Bohemian roadroller of crazy axemen will be ready.

This time there won't be a need to run, I can take them both on.

For once, not suicidal about it's towns. Lol. Got a unit of dogheads here to push the ram. It's a faction leader (?) and two units of archers.

Oh scary ... not really. My knights have 12 armor and shields. These archers have 4+7 attack (AI bonus) so it won't hurt too bad.

>>
    On rough stone walls, it's really hard to get a shot off, especially if you're behind the tall gates ...

>>
    That's all they did. Kill one doghead. Weak. The others don't even worry and push that ram forward.

>>>
    Oh hi there. See you next fa- bloody gory mess!

Enemy knights come in. It's really messy - I can't flank or anything and it's just a grind of knights. the dogheads get in where they can and add their Armor Piercing (tm) attacks.

Really up close and personal - swords again just for the fun of it.

>>>
    Can you see it? It's a ... FACTION LEADER FIGHTING FOR HIS LIFE!!! Ahaha~~

And off go the slaves...

The new town gets an execution place, of course.

Queue up a toll road. Not even going to rush to get a spearmaker for the armored spearmen. Not just yet ...

And that's where I've gotten in these many turns. Started 1072 summer, and it's 1080 winter. 18 turns , or 9 years and that is 5 towns I've taken.

Compare to S&A: Starting AT 1099 by 1110 winter (22 turns, or 11 years) I had taken 5 towns, of which 4 of them are now under martial law (one of those is my fault, of course)

The situation here is better. I can continue eastwards, and take 3 more HRE towns (two of which can train dogheads) and then turn up north to smack Poland.
    Last edited by Alavaria; February 24, 2009 at 10:04 PM.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Congratulations, you are indeed the Master of Bohemia!

Now, i didn't think this would be possible with Bohemia, and it was never shown before such a starting family member blitzkrieg sports-campaign in any former AAR's, nor in any of the old betatests in 2006 or later. But, we have differences to older versions anyway ... FM's are strenghened to a degree, not the bg's but the characters themselves, whereas the AI characters have gotten more strength than human player characters, but of course the leader and heir are always real tanks from the start here, and getting with every slaughter exp points. I thank you very much for this new detailed report, because it confirms what i meant already about a change in stats and even i'll change some traits concerning character fighting power to decrease the sure success of such sports-campaigns.

However, i guess you know, it is not a new thing to me or others that a group of the leader+heir+other FM's (if 2hp plus elite unit stats) can crush AI armies who have x troop numbers more. New is just that somebody is doing such an exploit with Bohemia with such passion and success however ... as said i do not like to play in such a style, i never would come to that idea to go with the leader and heir bg's forming the sole army to conquering the first regions ... but it's a good tip for anybody who likes to blitz.

Anyway, very well presented again
    Last edited by DaVinci; February 25, 2009 at 01:22 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Athenogoras's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice and fun report. I would have played it similarily if I wanted to expand fast. Perhaps only siege with familymembers and let garrison sally and then rush the gates to exploit AI line up.(They leave castle 1 unit at a time). I would have used more mercs for rams and then disbanded.

Congratulations, you are indeed the Master of Bohemia!

Now, i didn't think this would be possible with Bohemia, and it was never shown before such a starting family member blitzkrieg sports-campaign in any former AAR's, nor in any of the old betatests in 2006 or later.
    I admit, it's a bit of a stretch, but compared to RTW (where I've known people to defeat rather advanced stacks with a few family members) knights (or heavy cavalry in general) and therefore FM bodyguards (having 2 hp) are much, much stronger. Especially the charge. 5 attack is nice, but +30-ish is just . The AI is especially bad at making formed charges, and you can usually "shake" them. (Run away, at an angle. In reality, too, knights have problems trying to charge in any direction but "dead ahead".)
    But, we have differences to older versions anyway ... FM's are strenghened to a degree, not the bg's but the characters themselves, whereas the AI characters have gotten more strength than human player characters, but of course the leader and heir are always real tanks from the start here, and getting with every slaughter exp points.
    I have seen ancillaries that can do things like +1 bodyguard experience. You may consider adding that to AI bonuses, or more generally giving the human player BG experience penalties. Or both, really. (I don't think experience can go below 0, though, and knights at experience 0 are rather good.)
    I thank you very much for this new detailed report, because it confirms what i meant already about a change in stats and even i'll change some traits concerning character fighting power to decrease the sure success of such sports-campaigns.
    I'm not really sure what you mean. Thus far, I am convinced that 3 things does it.

• Knights are powerful - 2 HP knights that automatically retrain are powerful "throw-away" units
    • Experience is awesome, especially after the first 2 peasant stacks. +1 attack and defence is pretty sweet.
    • Command. After a few peasant slaughters, the general gets a command star or two, making things easier for the next time around.

as said i do not like to play in such a style, i never would come to that idea to go with the leader and heir bg's forming the sole army to conquering the first regions
    Mainly started in the first few campaigns I ever did with Chiv, where I would look at some enemies and think "lets just use the generals so I don't have to retrain". Eventually, I noticed cases where I would try to break up the front line for the infantry, but the enemy would just start running and the infantry wouldn't be able to do anything but watch the horse chase routers.

That's when I realized that, starting off, the super-powerful BG units could probably defeat the starting rebel/enemy stacks with a bit of thought and maneuvering. Turns out, it's quite possible to do so quite regularly.

I look forward to whatever changes you make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenogoras View Post
    Nice and fun report. I would have played it similarily if I wanted to expand fast. Perhaps only siege with familymembers and let garrison sally and then rush the gates to exploit AI line up.(They leave castle 1 unit at a time). I would have used more mercs for rams and then disbanded.
    That I have not seen. The one unit in castle sallying thing, that is. I always have to assault. Now if you mean what happened to that castle with all the armored infantry - that was actually the first time I've done something like that. I'm surprised it was possible myself ...

But that part is mostly over - there are 3 more HRE towns to take, and then it's probably time to shift to stacks with massive amounts of Dogheads - faction leader will probably die, then split the new leader / heir into two mostly infantry stacks.

If anyone else tries this, I at least will keep in mind that the initial "party" is over when the first faction leader dies. Because his high exp. bodyguard is gone, along with the command bonus. When the heir dies, that there is your most powerful group of heavy cav gone. Don't get caught off guard there, make sure to have some form of heavy infantry and a *lot* of whatever armor piercing (melee) you can get in order to fill the hole.

This kind of wide expansion drives the AI wild with anger. I think the HRE is between me and France, but there's this small rebel settlement (look at the north-western most town I have, it's further west down the coast) - when France takes it, they'll share a border and the last time I played, they immediately sent 1 stack + 1/2 stack down. That also caught me off guard (only had a half stack there to keep the HRE scared). And Poland is just annoying to take - lots of unrest in those towns - not good targets for a blitz unless you have lots of garrison troops ready, otherwise it's martial law and horrible income for at least 10 turns ...
    Last edited by Alavaria; February 25, 2009 at 08:24 AM.

Oh, that was a fun Blitzkrieg AAR! Well done.

Thanks I was actually going to continue with it though, since my other Bohemia campaign has readers vote on what to do. From seeing what happens here, I can already tell that attacking Poland as the first enemy isn't as good an idea at attacking HRE.

Patrician Artifex

Yeah people, enjoy the blitzing-style above as long it is possible.

I'll make sure, that this won't be a very good option anymore with patch version 1.1 ... lol, seeing Alav already saying "Ahh nice, my next blitz challenge".
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

I'll make sure, that this won't be a very good option anymore with patch version 1.1 ... lol, seeing Alav already saying "Ahh nice, my next blitz challenge".
    I don't really aim to blitz, it's more of I take, and take and take ... like one of those super five-jump taking sprees in checkers.

Patrician Artifex

Yeah, but the take-take is a blitz-strategy, of course, if you go out with your 2hp-leader-heir-otherFM-armies*.
    In contrary to this strategy, build up slowly respectively playing historically. Well, Bohemia has not much choices in this regard, because in history they weren't that much of an expanding realm, but a vasall (and sometimes leading house) of the HRE. Moddesign-wise, they are there as for a kinda buffer faction.

*2hp isn't anymore in patch 1.1

It'll be interesting to see what 1-hp bodyguards will work like. It is odd to see them fight evenly 20 vs 34 feudal knights...

EDIT: Actually it's 34 Vassal Knights. Feudal knights have half the unit size (but 2 hp). I didn't actually notice this until just now.
    Last edited by Alavaria; March 15, 2009 at 10:21 PM.

Hey, I was continuing this campaign. Turns out right after I took that last city in the above posts, I could take another one immediately, as it had a small group of units sitting just outside a city. I attacked the stack, reinforcements came on the field, slaughtered them all and walked in the same turn (no need to siege).

At at much further point in the game I tried to take Paris. I thought my faction heir, with 31 men at Exp. 3 would be able to take on the enemy's faction leader with 41 men.

I was really wrong. Come to think of it, I didn't even check to see what the enemy's Exp. was. My 31 knights got reduced to 13 and didn't kill a single enemy one (there were archers in the way too).

In the end, I ended up flinging Custom House Militia and then even Dogheads at them. One of the nearby cities is Tier 4 and can train CHMilitia. (while the Doghead recruitment area is really far away). In the end I lost about 100 men to kill the 40 knights.

: I don't care if you're the king of France, you still gotta pay your taxes!

Just a look at how large Bohemia is now:

I was surprised to see that Feudal Knights (and Feudal Foot Knights) have 20-ish men a unit and 2 hp. In comparison, Vassal Knights (which Bohemia doesn't have, but I've used as Aragorn) have 40-ish men and 1 hp.

Will the Feudal Knights also be reduced to 1 hp? If so, they really should just have the number of men in a unit doubled. It isn't overpowering since they're high tier troops (and don't auto retrain). And it makes sense that a unit of knights has the same number as a faction leader's bodyguard (also about 40).

Surprisingly, Varlets of Bohemia compare quite favorably with Feudal Foot Knights (which I wouldn't train in most cases anyway). Especially since they're much faster to get (1+5 turns for basic Exp 2 Varlets). Only Praha can train the elite (Exp 3) ones, and besides that place, only Wien can train Varlets at all! It's probably not intended that the Varlets be spammed, but you can train one unit every turn ...

If anyone is wondering, it isn't very Blitzy anymore, since I *can* spam tons of Dogheads (just recently stopped using Wien to train - it isn't Tier 3 for the Exp 1.) But I'm left waiting for heavy spearmen. A stack takes about 6 turns to prepare, if I were to do it.
    • Praha - train 4 Feudal MAA and 2 Varlet units
    • Olomouc - train 6 Doghead units
    • Wien - train 6 Doghead units, send to Praha to retrain for Exp. 1

Two cities can make armored spears, but only Praha seems able to train Feudal MAA though. Feudals have +4 bonus vs horse (Vassals have +3) and also get the command bonus banner which is good. Praha is also the only place that can train Varlets. Each army should try to keep 4 units of armored spearmen (Feudals, actually) and 2 of Varlets.

As a result, expansion is slowed slightly. Except in the western area, as, I have mentioned, I can train Custom House Militia, which are worse than Dogheads (less armor, worse morale) but are easier to deal with (one city, just trains them every single turn and off they go). It's rather amusing that one army has a dedicated city that produces a unit per turn just for it. (I don't retrain, units with 2-20 soldiers are used for fort manning duties- 20 upkeep per turn )

If anyone wants to see how such an army works (Dogheads, CHMilitia, FeudalMAA+Varlets), I use a triple line formation in that order (other armies have two lines of Dogheads instead). I can post a battle with descriptions if anyone wants.

Oh yeah, and Hungary? They're still my allies ... have been very well behaved too.

Yeah people, enjoy the blitzing-style above as long it is possible.

Ahh, nice, my next blitz challenge.

I'm not nearly as good at this as some people ...but I will be interested in seeing patch 1.1
    Definitely it will make for a more interesting experience.
    Last edited by Alavaria; March 16, 2009 at 05:44 PM.