Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limited ammo setting in preferences file

DeadlyBlowfish's Avatar Tiro

Default Limited ammo setting in preferences file

I'm not posting this as a "mod" because it involves editing preference files as opposed to game files.

I'll keep it short and sweet, here's how to enable limited ammo (sorry if this has already been posted):

1. Locate your Empire demo scripts folder. For Vista this is: C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\EmpireDemo2\scripts. For XP AppData can be found in "Documents and Settings".
    2. Locate the line:
      Code:
      "limitless_ammo true; # show_cpu_moves <true|false>, Enable/disable Infinite ammo on battlefields #"
    3. Change the "true" to "false" resulting in this line:
      Code:
       limitless_ammo false; # show_cpu_moves <true|false>, Enable/disable Infinite ammo on battlefields #

And you're done!

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the boards.....
    IMPORTANT:
    If you wish to use, modify, build on or do just about anything to or with any of my mods, feel free to do whatever you want. All I ask is to have my name in the credits somewhere :-)

Default Re: Tired of Unlimited Ammo?

NICE! great idea + rep for you

Thanks! It's a pleasure to help.
    IMPORTANT:
    If you wish to use, modify, build on or do just about anything to or with any of my mods, feel free to do whatever you want. All I ask is to have my name in the credits somewhere :-)

Good find. I think there is limited ammo already, its a green bar. right next to the units card

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Good find. I think there is limited ammo already, its a green bar. right next to the units card
    It doesn't deplete normally afaik (or at least, not for all units).
    IMPORTANT:

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyBlowfish View Post
    true, the cannons have unlimited ammo, as do the ships.

NovaColonel's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyBlowfish View Post
    It does for me... Hessians run dry fastest, Guards have most ammo. The only weird thing is the unlimited ammo for cannons, which may make sieges (there will be some left) too easy.

edit: Davincee, you bet me to it... For ships it seems realistic, as I never heard of a Ship of the Line depleting it's ammo. A first rater would carry 10,000+ rounds, enough for 100 volleys. Which should last virtually forever?
    Last edited by NovaColonel; February 24, 2009 at 06:03 PM.
    My blog: http://novacolonel.blogspot.de/

Phenom I X4 @ 2.6 GHz - ATI Radeon X4870 1GB @ 800/1000 MHz - 4GB OCZ @ 667 MHz - Vista Home 64

Agreed, Cannons are most weird, I'm examining the scenario data to see if it's scripted or something.

Edit: Nope, locked away in the unit data.
    Last edited by DeadlyBlowfish; February 24, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
    IMPORTANT:

Heh, i knew it was alittle wierd that the cannons seemed to have had waaaay to much ammo. Didn't see a green bar indicator next to them. You figured in RTW and MTWII, siege cannons, trebuchets and what not had limited ammo. Kinda wierd the cannons in ETW seem to have a unlimited source. Thanks for this quick fix though.
    "Pain is no evil, Unless it Conquers Us"

Nice find, going to be the first thing I do when I get the full game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad0pel View Post
    Heh, i knew it was alittle wierd that the cannons seemed to have had waaaay to much ammo. Didn't see a green bar indicator next to them. You figured in RTW and MTWII, siege cannons, trebuchets and what not had limited ammo. Kinda wierd the cannons in ETW seem to have a unlimited source. Thanks for this quick fix though.
    A horse cart can carry around a lot more 6lb cannon balls than 50lb boulders or 1500lb dead cows.

Limiting cannon ammunition isn't really that important given their reload time and the average length of battles in ETW.

anyone know how to increase the number of bullets for each unit?
    i know that if you right-click on a unit card in game you can see how many bullets each man has to start with. i'm pretty certain that the code for the number of projectiles is located at the same place as damage, range, hitpoints and so on.

so has anyone found any of them?

Default Re: Limited ammo setting in preferences file

Ammo, accuracy, melee offense and defense, charge bonus and morale are stored in the unit_stats_land db file. Projectile range and damage (and also quantity and spread and stuff for things like canister shot: canister shot with 400 range is awesome) are stored the projectiles db file. Refer to my earlier hex editing 101 post in alpaca's db thread to learn how to edit these. I'm sure there's some freeware hex editor available. But as alpaca said, there will probably be an easier way with the release of the full game.

ok, i have unpacked the demodb. now what, what do i change to do what you did, or how do i do that with infantry?
    it's all a complete mess!

Thanks, I was wondering where that file was.

Has someone provided a quick program that would allow us to mod unit attributes?

Quote Originally Posted by LtChambers View Post
    Ammo, accuracy, melee offense and defense, charge bonus and morale are stored in the unit_stats_land db file. Projectile range and damage (and also quantity and spread and stuff for things like canister shot: canister shot with 400 range is awesome) are stored the projectiles db file. Refer to my earlier hex editing 101 post in alpaca's db thread to learn how to edit these. I'm sure there's some freeware hex editor available. But as alpaca said, there will probably be an easier way with the release of the full game.
    I checked and didn't find such a file.
    Last edited by jimkatalanos; February 27, 2009 at 04:23 AM.

If you unpack demodb.pack, it should be at:
    ./data/db/unit_stats_land_tables/unit_stats_land

Ok thanks. hmm, opening the demodb.pack shouldn't be this hard...

Ondaderthad's Avatar Tiro

I found this bit of info about artillery ammo the battle of Antietam:

For transport, each gun was attached to a two-wheeled cart, known as a limber and drawn by a six-horse team. The limber chest carried thirty to fifty rounds of ammunition, depending on the size of guns in the battery. In addition to the limbers, each gun had at least one caisson, also drawn by a six-horse team. The caisson carried additional ammunition in two chests, as well as a spare wheel and tools. A horse-drawn forge and a battery wagon with tools accompanied each battery. A battery at full regulation strength included all officers, noncommissioned officers, buglers, drivers, cannoneers, and other specialized functions and might exceed 100 officers and men. With spare horses included, a typical six-gun battery might have 100-150 horses.

More at: http://www.history.army.mil/StaffRid...illery.htm#art

twisted's Avatar Libertus

Is there way to give your army unlimited ammo? I find it rather strange to send in men with 15 bullets. It's not exactly the Sovjet army in ww2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast