Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Dual/Quad core?

Default Dual/Quad core?

Do you think that the retail version of the game will be better at utilising Quad cores or are we seeing the full engine in the demo?

Default Re: Dual/Quad core?

Dual Core programming has been done CA said, but we wont know if ETW can even use quad cores, i doubt it.
    Create a Multiplayer Army Online at: www.shogun2armycreator.netne.net
    Your Unofficial Shogun 2 Tech Support Genius
    Visit my Youtube Channel
    Shogun 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/itsmymillertime

Quote Originally Posted by AlfonsoVIII View Post
    Dual Core programming has been done CA said, but we wont know if ETW can even use quad cores, i doubt it.
    I'm pretty sure they said quadcore utilization was used, aswell as dual?

Demo used neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
    Demo used neither.
    Yep, CPU utilization is alot worse than medieval 2 actually on the other cores

Demo used neither.
    so the demo used just 1 core? and the full game is it dual or quad utilization?

Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Well if the "Runs great on Core i7s" moniker at the end of each ETW trailer is to be trusted, then the game will probably run better on Quad Cores.

Quote Originally Posted by nurhak View Post
    so the demo used just 1 core? and the full game is it dual or quad utilization?

Would be odd if it isn't both - it is 2009 and one would be hard pressed to find a single core CPU nowdays.

i want to be sure if its gonna use all of my 4 cores but cealius your right i forgot the trailer ending with the core i7s add

For gaming allways go for the Dual Core the 3rd and the 4th core are allmost never used in games.

not too sure, some people on these forums have said the game has used all 4 cores but not at their maximum levels. as for me i think we'll be lucky to get even dual core optimization.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelius View Post
    Well if the "Runs great on Core i7s" moniker at the end of each ETW trailer is to be trusted, then the game will probably run better on Quad Cores.
    aaaaaargh, i'm tired of people bringing that up.

it's pure marketing, nothing else.

intel pays them a nice sum of money or gives them processors for their computers in return for some advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by 105348 View Post
    For gaming allways go for the Dual Core the 3rd and the 4th core are allmost never used in games.
    True, the third and fourth cores are almost never used in games, it'll probably be that way for a few more years. That bieng said, that frees up your computer to do other things while doing all the calculations for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggans
    it's pure marketing, nothing else.

intel pays them a nice sum of money or gives them processors for their computers in return for some advertisement.
    Also true.

It's like saying "Runs great on Unix/Linus." (that's a laugh), if they had that at the end too, just imagine how many people would be installing extra hard-drives and loading Linux on them.

On a side note, I'm glad I'm using a machine with a Intel Quad Core, if I'd still been using my old machine (that my dad now uses) I wouldn't even be able to play the demo. (it's got a 2800+ Sempron Single Core. 2.0 GHz)
    Last edited by Captian Barbossa; February 24, 2009 at 02:28 PM.
    My named ships in Empire Total War: (that i can remember)

Fifth Rate, HMS Poseidon.

Fifth Rate, HMS Dauntless.

Fifth Rate, HMS Enterprise NCC-1701

Fifth Rate, HMS Simi.

------
    "Ya best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're IN one!"

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Demo used neither.
    I think ur wrong here.....I think the Demo used both duo core CPU's.
    If its not, plz proof it!

If its not using both CPU's...then it will mean the game itself will even run better on my current PC

Dual core is the only true choice for gamer at this moment. Quad cores are the future. That means they are not supported by most of the new games yet and when most of new games will actually support more than 2 cores, todays Quad core processors will be already outdated.

Indefinitely Banned

Well the minimum spec requirements are for a single core system arn't they? So whilst you won't be able to utilise its full potential, you can still play the game on single core machine. Stands to reason then that it's optimised for dual core cpus, and possibly quad cores as well, although I'll defer to the people here who have a better understanding with these things.

With regards to the "its just marketing line" though, they would have to be careful and actually test it out on the i7's before running the advery, otherwise they would libel for false advertisement. Stands to reason then there's at least a grain of truth in the advert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
    With regards to the "its just marketing line" though, they would have to be careful and actually test it out on the i7's before running the advery, otherwise they would libel for false advertisement. Stands to reason then there's at least a grain of truth in the advert.
    the problem is subjectivity, they could get away with saying "runs great on single core processors". the i7 series are relatively powerful quad cores and will obviously run the game 'great' (including any and all degrees of "GREAT"), but people are mistaking that advertisement for "optimized for the i7 series". i was not trying to say that they were lying.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Demo used neither.
    Really? I had everything on ultra with my dual core. Does that mean that if the full version will use dual cores it'll run even better?

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Demo does use quad cores but only the i7 n a certain AMD one, i read a post about this.

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

i think i would take other's word on that the demo didnt utilize dual core or quad, because this is not the first time ive heard it and a friend of mine works with computers all the and he said it didnt seem like it utilized dual core. or quad.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Fox View Post
    Demo does use quad cores but only the i7 n a certain AMD one, i read a post about this.
    a link would be great.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast