Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: -- Preview of Orcs of the Misty Mountains --

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

Default Re: -- Preview of Orcs of the Misty Mountains --

Their cities are underground, so they'd have to use tunnels. And I agree about not being able to increase settlement size.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir the Istari View Post
    Their cities are underground, so they'd have to use tunnels. And I agree about not being able to increase settlement size.
    Was this to me, or Red? I can't tell.

If it's to me, in my last post, I was agreeing the the "city" would be underground. But the "city" is a small portion of the overall territory. The entire territory wouldn't need to be tunneled in order to enter an underground city.

Anyhow, if tunnels are what's been decided upon to represent roads for the Orc of MM, I'll learn to live with it.

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

It was to you. And orcs would be capable of "building" dirt roads, thay're not that stupid.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

It was to you. And orcs would be capable of "building" dirt roads, thay're not that stupid.
    yeah, as mentioned in a previous post, I'd prefer dirt roads to tunnels.

DjAci's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    I knew KK would post this today, he was just teasing us earlier being the naughty gorilla that he is.

Great work as always and I'm aware you didn't dedicate as much time to the OoTMM as other factions so let's see if I can make some constructive suggestions:

Obviously this faction lacks some variety (judging only from what is in the preview) but what most contributes to this deficiency imo is the archers). We have the generic light, "medium" and heavy archers and while some of the other factions have just as many archers theirs have more variety (some are also good in hth, some are gen. bodyguards, some are good in forests or for ambushes).

1. So how about replacing one of the archers (snaga ones maybe) with javelin throwing skirmishers with wooden bucklers and maybe a hide bonus (in long grass/wherever). I assumed that snaga skirmishers are light spearmen. If that's true they and the snaga "javelinmen" could make up a somewhat more interesting militia force where the "spearmen" provide anti-cav, "javelinmen" are light ranged support and arrow screen (because of bucklers) while both could provide some hth vs other inf.

If I'm wrong and skirmishers can actually throw those spears...well nuts then.

2. Some goblin batallions could be armed with scavenged equipment of good/decent quality (mostly taken from dwarven miners in Moria etc.). They could be low number elites or general bodyguards. This is obviously a suggestion for future releases beyond the first.

3. Also for the future. How about some wolf tamers. Kinda like those Roman rottweilers from RTW, would that be possible? OoTMM are very bestial, even more so than other orcs, and such animal/beast units would suit them as well as make them more unique.

4. Would it be possible to make a troll drummer that increases morale of sorrounding units? It would basically be the equivalent of the Carroccio standard of the MTW2 Italian factions. Remember "drums in the deep"?

5. There is a small mention of Snow Trolls in LoTR literature. OoTMM would benefit from more troll variety imo. They could be troll elites, very hard to kill. Just take the regular cave trolls, enlarge them a bit, recolour the texture into something white/snow-ish and voila! Trowing rocks is out of the question I guess? Could rocks replace the pila (reference to rtw roman inf) or javelins if the animation was appropriately changed?
    Great Ideas Many likes to you!!!

1. If the current skirmishers are indeed skirmishers, I still support Jean=A=Luc's idea. Make one light spearmen (with bucklers), and snaga archers light javelinmen with bucklers

2. I was doing some thinking over OoMM just now. I am on the verge of making another BIG post with my solution to the OoMM (mostly for a later release) as I did with some proposals for Silvan elves. I totally concur (for future release i hjave to say), make a model of a goblin in scavanged dwarven armor. Maybe with helms resembling the head of a Balrog. They did fear and worship it, so their elite could use it. In such armor 2 units could be made. First would be armored 2H axmen. Being so well armored gives them confidence that they can give to their lesser kin. They could be made with "Inspires nearby troops" trait. The other one would be the so many times mentioned crossbowmen. Not as good as dwarven original, but in such great numbers they would be even more damaging in range. Finally the model could be used for bodyguards.

3. I like the idea. Alternative is giving them along with typical warg riders a unit of unmounted wargs. That would be more of a cavalry unit if we would feel they need more cavalry. Both would not be easy to do though.

May I use this to suggest one more thing. OoMM should have warg riders most definatly. Due to their conncetion with the wargs, their tradition, and gameplay they should be superior to those of Isengard. How about giving them javelins like mounted skirmishers making them both melee and ranged cavalry. (but not the vareity with just 2 spears per unit to throw before charge, but real skirmish unit)

4. Superb idea. The morale lacking OoMM would have great use of it. Maybe more than one troll per unit though (you cant kill the standard with arrows, but troll...) and maybe some goblins around them as guards.

5. Maybe not necessery but most certainly welcome. If they can be made to throw stones, it would be the awsome (and very necessery in that case imo). If that is to difficult to make, I already suggested that OoMM could also loot those special Dwarven ballistas.
    I am slightly obsessed with longbows

RomanSoldier[Dom]'s Avatar Libertus

Very nice King Kong these are really impressive Orc's of the Misty Mountains Keep going your doing a great job!...
    2 Timothy 3
    Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

Grate preview KK! But were's my snow trolls?

Khamûl the Wraith

Love those Balrog masks DjAci. Those elites could be the inner circle of the goblin king's Balrog worshiping coven. Pretty neat.

Looks like there are quite a few things that could be done do add flavor to the goblins.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; February 23, 2009 at 06:56 PM.

DjAci's Avatar Semisalis

I am so sad that it will mostly have to wait for some later patch, but it worth the wait if they don't forget about these suggestions
    I am slightly obsessed with longbows

Looks very good as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by DjAci View Post
    I am so sad that it will mostly have to wait for some later patch, but it worth the wait if they don't forget about these suggestions
    Guess we'll just have to spam these suggestions in every thread. What do you think Mithrandir?

trance's Avatar Vicarius

Hmm, may I ask if the heavy goblin unit will be heavy infantry. It wouldn't really fit with tiny, nasty goblins standing tied up with an uruk-hai, dwarven or gondorian heavy infantry unit haha. Also, why not add some special siege engines for the OotMM. If my memory doesn't fail me it's mentioned in the hobbit that the goblins of the misty mountains were cunning, mischievous and ingenious little creatures, often employing mechanical designs that could kill many men at the same time. It would certainly give OotMM a more unique gaming style compared to other factions. I could definately see a horde of Goblin's charging a hostile force while at the same time using siege engines to rain down death upon their enemies, killing goblin and enemy alike.

And it would be a great idea if OotMM could scavange equipment from other teams.
    Last edited by trance; February 23, 2009 at 07:38 PM.

And look at the time of posting haha, I just came home but before crashing in my bed I wanted to check out OoMM !! and here it is, fantastic job KK, I really really love that you implemented the fish like armor for the goblins, and the rust textures are superb!

only thing lacking is ofcourse the monkey like stature of the goblins but that ofc is something which will prob never be implemented, and the Trolls look kinda sad/exhausted if you aks me.

other then that, awesome job

Good night!

2-D Ron's Avatar Campidoctor

Faaantastic work mate.

I was thinking, seeing as they came from Moria, maybe there are some that scavenged for Dwarf weapons during the Dwarf expedition, Balin's bain and all that.

Also, The Orc's had Wargs as well if I remember rightly from the Hobbit?
    and maybe some Chieftains of some kind?

Unmounted wargs are possible, we just need an animation.
    They should, like I said before they were used in the Hobbit by the Goblins.
    The Dwarves and Bilbo if I remember hid in the trees from them?

Also.. I know this is a bit far fetched, there was Spiderlings in the Hobbit as well, would they ally with the Orcs?
    But they are probably difficult to make anyway.
    Last edited by Mithrandir; February 24, 2009 at 04:22 AM.

They seem to have alot of offensive infantry i would put a spear unit in to help balance OoTMM infantry some. And definantly warg riders, or warg tamers.

I'm digging that skin color, very nice. The armor is also nice and rusty looking, very cool. Also liking all the suggestions flying around here, I'm not very creative so I cannot help on that front.

"sick wicked and nasty" as Chuck Swirsky says but one thing were are the warg riders? On the road/tunnel thing i would go with just dirt roads

trolls and heavy goblin inf look the best +rep

EDIT yah 200 post and what a great thing to have a 200th post on

A troll drum that conveyed bonuses was already suggested, but what about a goblin war drum? It seems more fluffy, as a troll probably couldn't be trusted to keep a beat.

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

I was just saying to myself "I haven't checked TATW today" and I check and I'm rewarded! Awesome units as usual TATW team!
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

The Heavy Goblin Infantry look amazing.... Cant wait to mow some of these guys down. The Trolls look deadly though. Great Job
    Last edited by Isildurs Bane; February 23, 2009 at 10:31 PM.