Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: -- Preview of Orcs of the Misty Mountains --

Default Re: -- Preview of Orcs of the Misty Mountains --

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir the Istari View Post
    They can.
    Awwwww, nuts.

I'm not convinced the goblins are too tall. They're pretty skinny which might make them look taller. Thinking about it a bit more some of them look really emaciated.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; February 23, 2009 at 05:50 PM.

But should not the goblins be more conjugated like in this pic:

Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc
    Some goblin batallions could be armed with scavenged equipment of good/decent quality (mostly taken from dwarven miners in Moria etc.). They could be low number elites or general bodyguards. This is obviously a suggestion for future releases beyond the first.

Yeah, Mith has been a proponent of this idea for sometime, allowing Goblins to obtain better armor and even cross-bows -- much like the Apaches. It would be pretty sweet, if we can ever do it.

I suggested a long time ago that it would also be cool if Goblins were unable to increase the size of their settlements -- but could build all of their buildings from a village/motte&bailey on up. This is also similar to the Apaches, except that I wouldn't want to see settlements reduced in size when taken by the goblins (since they sort of scavenge whatever they find). Lastly, the ability to create roads shouldn't be avaiable, but they should get a movement bonus on the campaign map. All of this would make OotMM a nice, unique faction in this game.

I realize that this is probably more suited for the "suggestions" thread, but I already suggested these things like 6 months ago, so this is just honorable mention.

The Big Red 1's Avatar Primicerius

So would it be to hard to make them smaller and scale like the dwarve? I know very little about scaling.

Other then that amazing and KK is probably now over 5 weeks of straight work on this mod. 24 X 7 X 5
    HONEY I AM HOME

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

Quote Originally Posted by marceror View Post
    I suggested a long time ago that it would also be cool if Goblins were unable to increase the size of their settlements -- but could build all of their buildings from a village/motte&bailey on up. This is also similar to the Apaches, except that I wouldn't want to see settlements reduced in size when taken by the goblins (since they sort of scavenge whatever they find). Lastly, the ability to create roads shouldn't be avaiable, but they should get a movement bonus on the campaign map. All of this would make OotMM a nice, unique faction in this game.
    I support this as well, minus the road part. Building roads would simulate digging tunnels.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

I can see your point, but on the other hand, when a road is built, anyone can benefit from them. I would expect that goblin tunnels a) would be too hard for a general passerby to find b) probably be too small for non orc armies to pass through efficiently and c) too creepy and dangerous for anyone other than their makers to consider using them.

So if goblins are building tunnels, their speed bonus on the campaign map could be a simulation of that.

Awesome, great job as always KK.

But then they'd have a speed bonus outside the mountains as well, which wouldn't be good. And while tunnes may be dark and creepy for non-orcs, it's better than no tunnels at all!

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

Goblins can build roads, just maybe up to dirt.
    HONEY I AM HOME

Those are good ideas Marceror. Even if roads were replaced by "tunnels" while technically being the same as roads it would at least be a nice fluff feature. If tunnels are out, maybe goblins shouldn't be able to upgrade beyond dirt roads/paths (edit: TBR beat me to it ). But I'm pretty sure you've already discussed all this.

EDIT2: Would it be possible for goblin tunnels to "self-destruct" when their settlement is captured by another faction? That way no one but the goblins could use them. Could that be scripted?
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; February 23, 2009 at 06:14 PM.

But then they'd have a speed bonus outside the mountains as well, which wouldn't be good. And while tunnes may be dark and creepy for non-orcs, it's better than no tunnels at all!
    Not if you can't find them! Since goblins are a sneaky bunch, I don't expect that they'd be putting up signs for a passing hostile army to use their tunnels to pass through their land. And
    humans, in particular, would probably move a lot slower through such a dark and uncertain place than they would above ground. Personally, I'd rather ditch the goblin roads altogether and just give them a speed bonus. The idea of humans passing through these tunnels as a preferred means of travel, and actually moving faster through them, is just a tad hard for me to wrap my head around. But that's just my take, of course.

EDIT: okay 2 posts between mine and Mith's. Wow, these forums are alive. Yeah, I'd prefer dirt roads over tunnels for goblins, personally. And certainly nothing better than dirt roads.

I think the tunnels make sense for OotMM, and perhaps even Uruk-hai and Mordor Orcs. I don't think a dark tunnel would help humans to move more quickly, quite the opposite. And I don't think Elves would consider passing through such a place, if they could avoid it. Dwarves might be okay there. But since we can't control things at this level of granularity, I'm against the tunnel idea.
    Last edited by marceror; February 23, 2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: had to quote Mith to make clear what I was responding to, and some added comment based on later posts

How would they get to their cities without tunnels?

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

Is there even anything to support that Goblins dug?:hmmm:
    HONEY I AM HOME

The Hobbit.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

The Hobbit.
    Are you sure about that? I think it is just a misconception. I doubt they really used tunnels to travel.
    HONEY I AM HOME

They did. Read the book again, they travel through tunnels down to the Great Goblin.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

They did. Read the book again, they travel through tunnels down to the Great Goblin.
    Tunnels that are made by them?

I don't have the book so I will accept your word.
    HONEY I AM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    Please note that it wasn't my plan to do this faction and due to the lack of time and other modellers I couldn't spent as much time on this faction as on others.
    I hope you will like them anyway.
    Though I can't make any big changes anymore, feedback and suggestions is always appreciated.

See how he tries to make him self look good by saying he didnt spend much time on this awesomeness
    they look wicked

How would they get to their cities without tunnels?
    Let's make sure we're keeping the difference between the "city" and the "territory" clear. You don't need tunnels to pass through a territory. If we want to assume that the city itself is underground, then once they arrive at the city, we can assume that they are entering via tunnels, deeps caves, etc.

Which brings up another point. I suppose then that when an Orc takes over, say, Osgiliath, they are actually tunneling under the city rather than using the city itself. If so, this further supports my earlier idea of not being able to increase the size of their settlments, but also not reducing them. The bulk of the Orcs would be under the city most of the time, doing little if anything to "build up" the above ground area.
    Last edited by marceror; February 23, 2009 at 06:27 PM.

Approval in the 25 (at least when I am) people that are viewing the thread, as always excellent job.

"I have only two regrets: I didn't shoot Henry Clay and I didn't hang John C. Calhoun."- Andrew Jackson