Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: -- Preview of Orcs of the Misty Mountains --

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

Default Re: -- Preview of Orcs of the Misty Mountains --

Thank Eru, you had me worried there for a second.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

The Doge of Venice's Avatar Senator

Hey they look very good so far, I'll be honest when I say that with my respect and admiration for KK's work I hope for a lot more from this faction as they have a lot of potential to be very unique and cool and making the goblins not have the same bodies and movement as little men would be awesome. a larger variety of units such as maybe some elite ones with pieces of stolen dwarven armour or some form of cavalry would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightgalrs View Post
    Yes, I was joking.
    Good riddance, were just about t put up the (I reeealy like that smiley )

maxi90's Avatar Campidoctor

beautyfull KK..simply beautyfull...

Two comments:
    1. it looks like to me that based on the number and toughness of the units that the OOTMM are going to get absolutely annihilateified by all the other teams.
    2 Don't suppose it is possible to make them move hunched over and crawling like they normally are?
    Sophisticated dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Templar Crusader View Post
    Two comments:
    1. it looks like to me that based on the number and toughness of the units that the OOTMM are going to get absolutely annihilateified by all the other teams.
    Cheap units.

2 Don't suppose it is possible to make them move hunched over and crawling like they normally are?
    That would require new animations.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

Two comments:
    well i dont know if they will get annihilated becuase well you will be able to make so many of them,(my guess is a 1/4 stack a turn:hmmm

and no they wont be hunched over cuz its a ton of work

*damn mith beat me so ya pay no attention to this post

Anything with trolls makes me happy

DjAci's Avatar Semisalis

I love the preview. Many kisses to KK. When I say i love it, i mean i love it more than Isengard, High elves and Gondor.

One can see that models are once again superb even when made in a haste. The bodys of goblins are a bit of a lesser quality, however the vareity of weapons surpasses all other factions and is artisticly very rich. Very nice KK. The concept is also great. They look more cool to me than Mordor by far even Isengard. Mainly because of the uber cool armor. The armor of heavier units looks much better (in terms of textures and details) than Gondor and Mordor. Also I agree with whoever said mountain trolls look better than Mordors trolls. So although some details are of a bit lower quality, some surpass what i've seen so far. Once again, one of my favourite previews. rep++++++++

PART 2: unit roster

As was mentioned, it's simple light/medium/heavy infantry/archers + trolls. I am aware time is short and that we are all happy that OoMM are even playable, but would like to share a bit of very quick thought what could be done with their roster in some (near) future patch.

1. they need a lower tier anti cavalry unit. Give medium armored ones spears.
    2. looted crossbowmen could be even added for the first release.
    3. some sort of cavalry, wargs. Take from isengard, chage the rider with medium swords. Later even unmounted wargs could be added. Even with new models maybe
    4.an elite unit that would reference the Barlog maybe.

As for balancing them for now, I think making their missiles the best of orcish factions would do them good as it is the only place where they can be beefed up to make it logical. Maybe in the future (or even now) they could loot those special Dwarven Ballistas.
    I am slightly obsessed with longbows

Quote Originally Posted by DjAci View Post
    2. looted crossbowmen could be even added for the first release.
    Way ahead of ya, already posted that in the Dev Forum.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Incan View Post
    well i dont know if they will get annihilated becuase well you will be able to make so many of them,(my guess is a 1/4 stack a turn:hmmm
    But still I believe quality beats quantity every time. LOTR is a good example of that
    Sophisticated dragon

They will be the hardest faction to play. A lot of people find that fun. They also have a lot of permanent forts in the Misty Mountains, allowing large stacks of free upkeep garrisons.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

maxi90's Avatar Campidoctor

i must say it is true. if you have ever played LOTR-TW you´ll know that even when you can make millions of goblins in about one/two turns, numbers won´t be an advantage at all (i remember on time i defeated an entire army of those just with my elven general), cuz of low moral + crapiest units in game figthing noldors. but of course, in LOTR-TW the factions were heavily unbalanced so i can´t say it will be the same thing here. (hope it wont)

But still I believe quality beats quantity every time. LOTR is a good example of that
    well actually quality only beat quantity in lotr books when quality had a fortress that usually had never been taken and was unbreakable yada yada yada. fords of isen is an example of quantity beating quality, and there are probably other examples that i cant remember and well if your in a battle and you have to fight off 3 guys at once your pretty much dead

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir the Istari View Post
    They will be the hardest faction to play. A lot of people find that fun. They also have a lot of permanent forts in the Misty Mountains, allowing large stacks of free upkeep garrisons.
    Aha, so fill up your forts with (pre-sumably) high upkeep trolls, and bring them out to play when man-flesh is near!

I knew KK would post this today, he was just teasing us earlier being the naughty gorilla that he is.

Great work as always and I'm aware you didn't dedicate as much time to the OoTMM as other factions so let's see if I can make some constructive suggestions:

Obviously this faction lacks some variety (judging only from what is in the preview) but what most contributes to this deficiency imo is the archers). We have the generic light, "medium" and heavy archers and while some of the other factions have just as many archers theirs have more variety (some are also good in hth, some are gen. bodyguards, some are good in forests or for ambushes).

1. So how about replacing one of the archers (snaga ones maybe) with javelin throwing skirmishers with wooden bucklers and maybe a hide bonus (in long grass/wherever). I assumed that snaga skirmishers are light spearmen. If that's true they and the snaga "javelinmen" could make up a somewhat more interesting militia force where the "spearmen" provide anti-cav, "javelinmen" are light ranged support and arrow screen (because of bucklers) while both could provide some hth vs other inf.

If I'm wrong and skirmishers can actually throw those spears...well nuts then.

2. Some goblin batallions could be armed with scavenged equipment of good/decent quality (mostly taken from dwarven miners in Moria etc.). They could be low number elites or general bodyguards. This is obviously a suggestion for future releases beyond the first.

3. Also for the future. How about some wolf tamers. Kinda like those Roman rottweilers from RTW, would that be possible? OoTMM are very bestial, even more so than other orcs, and such animal/beast units would suit them as well as make them more unique.

4. Would it be possible to make a troll drummer that increases morale of sorrounding units? It would basically be the equivalent of the Carroccio standard of the MTW2 Italian factions. Remember "drums in the deep"?

5. There is a small mention of Snow Trolls in LoTR literature. OoTMM would benefit from more troll variety imo. They could be troll elites, very hard to kill. Just take the regular cave trolls, enlarge them a bit, recolour the texture into something white/snow-ish and voila! Trowing rocks is out of the question I guess? Could rocks replace the pila (reference to rtw roman inf) or javelins if the animation was appropriately changed?

Ok done, sorry about all the new unit ideas. Hopefully me being aware that models, textures and animations don't make themselves makes those suggestions less annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Incan View Post
    fords of isen is an example of quantity beating quality, and there are probably other examples...
    Basically the whole Silmarilion.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; February 23, 2009 at 05:35 PM.

I'm assuming Snaga skirmishers ARE javelinmen. I don't know this for fact, but the name skirmisher seems to imply this. Perhaps they are able to fill both roles, even (javelin throwers and light spearmen, that is).
    Last edited by marceror; February 23, 2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: clarified what I meant by "both roles"

i like the snow troll idea alot actually most of these ideas are good, maybe you could give the snow trolls the spear that the troll uses in the FoTR maybe for later releases you could implemented those things but ya i think they are good

nice work as always

+rep
    Team member of Third Age: Total War - Modeller & Skinner

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    If I'm wrong and skirmishers can actually throw those spears...well nuts then.
    They can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Some goblin batallions could be armed with scavenged equipment of good/decent quality (mostly taken from dwarven miners in Moria etc.). They could be low number elites or general bodyguards. This is obviously a suggestion for future releases beyond the first.
    Already suggested in the dev forum.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight