Thread: Good beer and sightseeing in Riga?

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Default Good beer and sightseeing in Riga?

I've had a great time in Tallinn and Vilnius before and now it's time to visit the largest city in the baltic, Riga! We're probably going to have 2 days to spend in the city. We're going there in april so we can't really "sit outside and drink beer until we get a better idea", therefor would any suggestions be very appreciated.

I'm very much a "beer and history" kind of guy. Both Vilnius and Tallinn comes with great beer and good things to see. Svyturys really made me regret flying to Lithuania and both Saku (quite probably the best sauna beer in the world) and Saaremma were great beers in Tallinn. I've found a decent looking Latvian beer site but they seem to be very patriotic about their beer, so which ones are really good?

Default Re: Good beer and sightseeing in Riga?

I am not really a regular beer drinker, but "Bauskas" and "Piebalgas" are really good (so i was told).

As for sight seeing -
    The old town of Riga with its churches, guild houses.
    The Castle of Riga - built by Livonian Order in 15th century - now a residency for president of Latvia.
    The Monument of Liberty.

In this site you can find some places worth seeing and other information.
    http://www.citariga.lv/EN/index.php?page=2&id=&part=
    As you are a Swede - you might wanna visit "Swedish Gate" - nothing spectacular though .
    http://www.citariga.lv/EN/index.php?...03&id=1&part=7

Also if you are interested in some museum stuff, then visit the Powder Tower (the only fortification building left from medieval times). Next to it lies War History museum.
    http://www.citariga.lv/EN/index.php?...03&id=1&part=9

Btw the museum currently hosts new exposition called "Latvian soldiers of 17th and 18th century". Haven't seen it yet, but read that there are exhibited muskets, swords, pistols, cannons, fortification mockups and plans from aforementioned centuries. Also there is a mannequin of Latvian soldier from Turaid landguard battallion of Swedish army during the Great Northern War.

I hope it will be hosted during the April too.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Herkus; March 11, 2009 at 06:32 PM.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Default Re: Good beer and sightseeing in Riga?

Thanks alot. I had to shorten the stay due to Tallinks somewhat confusing way of pricing trips. A cruise where you go to Riga from Stockholm and then back the same day cost ~45euro. Going to Riga, staying for 2 nights and then go back to Sweden costs 120euro in each direction.