Thread: Yay or Nay: Gigabyte Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB card

would this be a good card for running RTW?

plz share any thoughts or opinions, thnx!

if you have a monster of a cpu and a buttload of ram, yes. if not, go for the 9800Pro 256-bit card for just a little more $$$. with the proper cooling, you can run it like a 9800XT. i use a 9600Pro 256MB 128-bit card and it's a bit depressing at times trying to get more than 15fps even on all-medium video/sound settings.
    /* Under the Patronage of the Honorable Garbarsardar */
    Graphic Designer, Husband, & Dad

At least upgrade to a 9600XT, I've had good experiences with those and RTW. 9800Pro would suit even better if you buy a 3rd party cooler (ATI Silencer recommended) and manage to flash it's BIOS to 9800XT

I've got a Radeon 9600 XT with 256 MB and it works fine with Rome TW at Maximum settings, huge unit size, in a solution of 1280*1024. The only time the framerate gets low is when I actually fight huge battles (more than 7500 men) on a battle map displaying a huge city (like rome) at the same time. It's cheap, it's good...
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Orb's Avatar Tiro

I have to say my ATI X800, with Arctic Cooling ATI 4 Silencer, works a treat!. Every game from Doom 3 to HL2 has worked amazingly well, if fact brillantly. But the X800 is not cheap, so save up! :lol

TFT 's Fall of the Republic - Rise of the Empire (FRRE) Mod Project
    A collection of Post-Marian Reform mods for B.I

the X800 easily costs 2-3 times the cost of a 9600Pro, lol. It might just be a tad out of his reach, except maybe for the XL.

please close this topic.

just remember RTW is more heavily dependent on CPU speed rather than your video card's power.
    /* Under the Patronage of the Honorable Garbarsardar */
    Graphic Designer, Husband, & Dad

I run RTW on crappy Geforce4MX440 and AthlonXP1800+ with 770Mb RAM under WinXP

All medium - units High. Runs perfectly

I wonder some of u report lags on Athlon64 with freakin radeon 9800 )))
    -----------------------------The Way of the Samurai is Death------------------------------