Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 2 Faction Preview - The Dacians

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 2 Faction Preview - The Dacians

Definitely one of my faves. Always have been. Something to do with all those cool helmets and shield designs. They certainly start off in a very challenging position and are pretty quickly under stress from an expanding Macedonia or Scythia.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

That looks incredible! Excellent work...and thanks for the historic background!

I am constantly revisting this preview, I just cannot get enough of these Dacians! I think that I might actually play them first in RS2 before the Romans! (For me, that's like a miracle...) I had no idea about the Dacian's fighting the macedonians, sure was an interesting read.
    May You Rest In Peace Calvin

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by TheAeneas View Post
    I am constantly revisting this preview, I just cannot get enough of these Dacians! I think that I might actually play them first in RS2 before the Romans! (For me, that's like a miracle...) I had no idea about the Dacian's fighting the macedonians, sure was an interesting read.
    There are many factions that will be worth playing in RS2.0. It is fair to state that all the factions will have been 'fleshed out' while that was not the case with RS1.5.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Oh aye you have done superb,how to rep all of you sheesh....where to start???? EXCELLENT...what words are there to say darn good job!

Icon14 Re: Roma Surrectum 2 Faction Preview - The Dacians

It looks amaysing!
    Can't wait to kick some roman ass

Arnspac's Avatar Miss You Calvin

Wait till you see them in battle....
    Stay tuned.
    Cu māndrie, under the Patronage of leif_erikson

There is no disease I spit on more than treachery.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Hmm hard call about Empires vs RS2..as not seen it yet,but well I'll be a darned...if it can't compete with MTW2 which I do know. Artwork superb,good work team!

Quote Originally Posted by Kylan271 View Post
    Hmm hard call about Empires vs RS2..as not seen it yet,but well I'll be a darned...if it can't compete with MTW2 which I do know. Artwork superb,good work team!
    believe me if you have a decent computer RSII will make Empire look like a joke It's actually very hard beta testing and trying not to enjoy yourself to much

Atheist
    Quantum physics
    Paleonthology
    RSII Betatester
    Ultimate irony Quote by total relism:
    -this is the number one tactic of evolutionist hand waving they close there ears and eyes to any evidence they do not want to here.

Medieval American's Avatar Decanus

RS 1.5c is lightyears better than E:TW! Empire is sorry!

Also Empires does not feature the different textures of individual soldiers in units like M2TW does, so graphically, at least in unit terms, RS is miles in front.

leif_erikson's Avatar Valhalla awaits thee

Quote Originally Posted by Dafuge View Post
    Also Empires does not feature the different textures of individual soldiers in units like M2TW does, so graphically, at least in unit terms, RS is miles in front.
    Actually it does, but the differences between individual soldiers are marginal compared with MTW2, anyway ETW focuses on a time frame that was heavily uniformed so it makes sense.
    Skinner for Roma Surrectum, EB II, CBUR, Fall of Rome,
    proudly under Tone's patronage,
    patron of my Canadian bud Arnspac

"We believed we'd catch the rainbow, ride the wind to the sun
    Sail away on ships of wonder, but life's not a wheel..." (RIP Ronnie)

But there was still differences, like in Indian and Militia units.

Oh yeah, the backpack's are different, woo wee.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    @rory - calm down

Basically we could as easily have called them spearmen and maybe this would have removed a little confusion. With regards to blades and so on, a lot of the Dacian units are equipped with sicas as secondary weapons (short curved blades).

In terms of fighting styles, the Dacians were renowned archers and good horsemen, so this is represented in their unit mix - skirmishers, thracian peltasts, two foot archer units plus two mounted skirmisher units, two horse archers, plus Roxolani (allies) lancers (horse archers) as mounted missile units. In terms of close combat, pretty much all the Dacian units have sicas as secondary weapons (short curved blades rather like mini falxes) - lots of these have been found.

With regards to the Adamklisi monument, there are a couple of types of unit on there fighting Romans. We decided not to give the Dacians a two handed falx unit because the only units depicted on there carrying it have unmistakable suebian knots which would suggest that these units are of germanic origin (i.e. Bastarnae tribesmen), unless of course it's a load of Roman hocus pocus. The memorial was however built "on site" so hopefully they got their facts right.

Playing as Dacians then, what you'll find is that you do enjoy a great mix of styles - powerful ranged cavalry, some decent infantry skirmishing units and then some pretty powerful close combat infantry. They really are one of my favourite factions.

Ultimately we have to admit too that all representations are a compromise due to the limit on unit types imposed by the game.
    Wonderful work no doubt. However (as allways there are peoples who are not 100 % pleased ), is need to be show some Dacians with falxes too because dont know if you saw clear all the images from Adamclisi, but there are Dacians too depicted wearing falxes, and their usual "phrygian" cap, or bare head, and the Bastarnae are depicted as well welding falxes, but they are recognized because of their "suebian knot", so both peoples used, probably Dacians armed their allies with it. As well all the falxes (quite few indeed) that was founded, was founded just in Dacian sites, and Romans themselves consider that a Dacian sword, and relate Dacians with such curved swords. There is no any writings or archeological findings to relate that with Bastarnae, so more probably they received the swords from Dacians.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Gabi/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/AdamclisiMetope36.jpg/450px-AdamclisiMetope36.jpg

Dacian and Bastarnae vs Roman. See the diference, with Dacian wearing a cap and the Bastarnae having the "suebian knot".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...siMetope23.jpg

Germanic/Bastarnae prisoner (not bare chested, but the suebian knot visible)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...siMetope34.jpg

Here again Dacians using falxes.

As well, Dacians used "war machines" too, as can be see on Trajan Column (and there is even archeological findings), so i think some of them can be presented too there, and even Dacians fighting in Roman style formations, since in Decebalus times the Dacian army was trained and organized in roman style.
    Anyway, a great job after all

vasiooo's Avatar Libertus

please work on paved roads for dacians ,they have
    http://www.enciclopedia-dacica.ro/we...ul%20pavat.JPG
    and create a province for carps in moldova capital Petrodava ,today Piatra-Neamt
    and a great city on nord MALaya KOpania today in ucraine , http://reinvierea.wordpress.com/2008...egetusa-regia/,
    of dacii magnes problably like sarmisegetusa, Argedava,,
    it is a new discovery

where is dacian falx ? image
    bastarne copy dacian falx in a smoll scale
    Last edited by apple; February 02, 2010 at 01:30 PM.

The Dacians are going to have paved roads. But honestly, I also don't understand the hoplite type Dacians..

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

You might not understand them but you will learn to despise them what is is that you dont understand.

And why should I do that?

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

despise them? you will know soon enough .

Well, considering that my ancestors are Dacian and it's gonna be my most played campaign, I don't really think so

Or did you mean to say that you're getting your ass kicked int the beta?

Edit: What I don't understand is what kind of proof is there that the dacians used the hoplitic combat art... From what I know a Dacian would rather have been the kind that runs into an enemy formation with a falx and takes so many enemies with him as possible. Like the battle of Sarmisegetuza; no Dacian survived because they all fought to the death. To them it was either live a free life or die trying. Kind of like the Spartans if you like, which is probably going to be the second campaign I'l play
    Last edited by Scarrus; February 03, 2010 at 12:41 AM.