Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 2 Faction Preview - The Dacians

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 2 Faction Preview - The Dacians

In what way? To do with unit AORs? That's not an issue for us, it's all been coded for using a pretty tight system.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

grat work guys

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Yes, I did mean the AoRs.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Thanks to a suggestion by Squid, we found a way....actually, a very simple way....to assign a hidden_resource that identifies every single region on the map individually.

We use a system of 'areas'...numbered 1-15.....and assign a section of the map to each area. No area has more than 15 regions in it. That uses 15 hidden_resource slots.
    Then we create 15 more hidden_resources numbered 'r1-r15'. Each region in an area is assigned one of these numbers. That uses 15 more hidden_resource slots.
    Then, to restrict a unit\building\whatever to an individual region, your just have a conditional: 'and hidden_resource area2 and hidden_resource r4'....or something like that.
    Thus, 'and hidden_resource area6 and hidden_resource r2' = Rome; 'and hidden_resource area9 and hidden_resource r11' = Athens;...etc.

Using this method, we used only 30 hidden_resources to individualize every region, because 'r1-r15' are used over and over again.
    Since the 'areas' were 'somewhat' layed out to favor a whole area of recruitment (that bunch of 12-15 regions), 'and hidden_resource area6' allows units to be recruited in every region in that area.
    So it's kind of multi-purpose, and we used half the hidden_resources we did in RS1.5.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

OK, yeah no worries with those. They're sorted without going over the hidden resource limit.

[edit] aaahh.....I see DVK has given a far more coherent explanation.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Thanks to a suggestion by Squid, we found a way....actually, a very simple way....to assign a hidden_resource that identifies every single region on the map individually.

We use a system of 'areas'...numbered 1-15.....and assign a section of the map to each area. No area has more than 15 regions in it. That uses 15 hidden_resource slots.
    Then we create 15 more hidden_resources numbered 'r1-r15'. Each region in an area is assigned one of these numbers. That uses 15 more hidden_resource slots.
    Then, to restrict a unit\building\whatever to an individual region, your just have a conditional: 'and hidden_resource area2 and hidden_resource r4'....or something like that.
    Thus, 'and hidden_resource area6 and hidden_resource r2' = Rome; 'and hidden_resource area9 and hidden_resource r11' = Athens;...etc.

Using this method, we used only 30 hidden_resources to individualize every region, because 'r1-r15' are used over and over again.
    Since the 'areas' were 'somewhat' layed out to favor a whole area of recruitment (that bunch of 12-15 regions), 'and hidden_resource area6' allows units to be recruited in every region in that area.
    So it's kind of multi-purpose, and we used half the hidden_resources we did in RS1.5.
    I can't full credit for the idea as I based it loosely on how dvk had organized some of hidden resources into regions from 1.5c and the fact that it has been suggested in the past to use a binary system (which would take 8 hidden resources to do, but require all 8 to uniquely identify a region). I just decided binary is great, but why do I need to work in base 2?
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Arnspac's Avatar Miss You Calvin

Whoa.
    Cu mândrie, under the Patronage of leif_erikson

There is no disease I spit on more than treachery.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Sqυιd View Post
    I can't full credit for the idea as I based it loosely on how dvk had organized some of hidden resources into regions from 1.5c and the fact that it has been suggested in the past to use a binary system (which would take 8 hidden resources to do, but require all 8 to uniquely identify a region). I just decided binary is great, but why do I need to work in base 2?
    Yeah...what he said....

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

ChrisJoker's Avatar Semisalis

hey dvk can u show the picture of the shield of the Bosphoran heavy archer(ScythoHellenic archer)
    Last edited by ChrisJoker; March 20, 2009 at 12:41 AM.
    "An army of sheep led by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep".(Arab proverb)

It was in the Bosporan faction preview:

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    It was in the Bosporan faction preview:

so that is the same shield the scythohellenic archer AOR unit is going to be recruited by the Dacians?
    "An army of sheep led by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep".(Arab proverb)

No - different unit, as you can see from the linothorax. But you asked for the Bosporan one to be shown....or maybe that was my misunderstanding?

Here's the Dacian one:

Last edited by tone; March 20, 2009 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    No - different unit, as you can see from the linothorax. But you asked for the Bosporan one to be shown....or maybe that was my misunderstanding?

Here's the Dacian one:

Thats the oneLooks magnificent like how both shields show mythical creatures

mastaace's Avatar Ordinarius

the first one is a capricorn or a stag i guess - not that mythical

Gasp!!! *clutches chest and Dies at the sheer awesomeness of the Dacians...*

As a loyal Roman Commander, I for the first time feel Fear... Run and Hide, For The Dacian's Are Coming! Aaaaaahhhh!
    May You Rest In Peace Calvin

Lou337's Avatar Decanus

I know this might sound like a stupid question but would having the shield on his back protect him against missile fire from behind? Or does the shield mechanism in the rtw engine only work when the shield is held by his hand?

Also, the arrows are on his right side leg. Will there be an animation for that reach?

In all rtw, I've never seen a unit who was left handed.
    Visit my blog

chaney's Avatar Decanus

Left handers werent invented back then ! We came in around 150 A.D !

I dont think there will be an animation for the reach

I hope im right with the above, and also the shield will possibly act the same way as it would if it was in his hand

But Im no developer so youre better off waiting for a response from one of the the team
    Last edited by chaney; April 04, 2009 at 06:37 PM.
    RIP Calvin

I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble
    . - Augustus Caeser

“It is not sufficient that I suceed - all others must fail.” - Genghis Khan

Basically the shield value in the stats doesn't depend on where or how the shield is held - all it means is that there's more protection from missile fire from the left side.

Unfortunately there's no new animations for the archers.

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

so bosphoran heavy archers = heavy archer + medium infantry???

Aristedes's Avatar Tiro

Yeah, I think I've found the faction I'll play first on RS II.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.