Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 2 Faction Preview - The Dacians

ChrisJoker's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 2 Faction Preview - The Dacians

Quote Originally Posted by rory o'kane View Post
    Err... i think the RS Team has put in enough research work for this to be a better approximation of the Dacian's military forces than your presumptuous notion of how they "should be". so yes, yes, you ARE wrong.
    Rory o kane is a COOL GUY!!!!
    Last edited by ChrisJoker; February 23, 2009 at 06:08 PM.
    "An army of sheep led by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep".(Arab proverb)

Arnspac's Avatar Miss You Calvin

There's nothing wrong with rory that 36 hours of sleep wouldn't cure.

Thank you
    Arnspac
    Last edited by Arnspac; February 23, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
    Cu māndrie, under the Patronage of leif_erikson

There is no disease I spit on more than treachery.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnspac View Post
    There's nothing wrong with rory that 36 hours of sleep wouldn't cure. I would appreciate you editing your post and toning it down somewhat.

Thank you
    Arnspac
    oh sorry shame on me i didnt read the rest of the posts didnt realise thatmaybe we should make him something special or a suprise for hes hard comitmet to the modding of this wonderfull mod

EDIT:edited my previous post
    Last edited by ChrisJoker; February 23, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
    "An army of sheep led by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep".(Arab proverb)

i'll be lucky to get 36 hours' worth of sleep before the end of the week, Arnspac. RAG is rather demanding of us medical students...
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

Miles

Thats what I love at RS Previews. It's not just pictures of some new units tossed in one topic, no! It's a whole bunch of research, clues, specialties of units and all this presentet with a light humor. I anticipate every preview as much as Empire! Seriously! 1 Rep

Ruhe in Frieden, Calvin.

Wonderfully good! Well done

George Maniaces's Avatar Tiro

Simply AMAZING detail on the armor and standards. Really beautiful work. And the historical background information is very much appreciated. Keep up the excellent work!

This is my collection of Dacians for unit reference.
    Each plate has at lest one Dacian or Getae Warrior or a Roxolani allied from the first dacian war.

EDIT: Please do not post copyright material without the consent of the copyright holder - Squid
    Last edited by Squid; February 24, 2009 at 02:37 PM.

Here's a couple of pics we didn't use in the preview that I thought you may enjoy.

Thanks for that.

This claimed to be Dacian Cataphracts...but does anyone know what it really depicts?

The oldest surviving Roman military diploma from Dacia. Made of bronze and from circa Trajan.

Last edited by Arnspac; February 25, 2009 at 09:13 PM.

This claimed to be Dacian Cataphracts...but does anyone know what it really depicts?
    Those are more likely to be their Roxolani allies, and the general feeling amongst historians is that they've gone a little OTT in their depiction of the amount of scale

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

hey tone can u show a list of the names of the legions in the game?

a little off-topic, dont'cha think?
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

So the Getae and the Dacians are the same people? I have heard all sorts of things. Or do I understand what you say wrong? This is what I am referring to:

The Dacians were known as Geton (plural Getae) in Greek writings, and as Dacus (plural Daci) also Getae, in Roman documents, also as Dagae and Gaete.

And not to try to pick a fight with anyone (it may just be coincidence), but that particular paragraph:

The Dacians were known as Geton (plural Getae) in Greek writings, and as Dacus (plural Daci) also Getae, in Roman documents, also as Dagae and Gaete. Strabo states that the original name of the Dacians was "daoi", which could be explained with a possible Phrygian language connection, "daos", meaning "wolf". This assumption may be supported by the fact that the Dacian standard, the Draco, had a wolf's head. Their capital was not Argedava near the Danube, but Sarmizegetusa, in the Sureanu mountains, in the Romanian Western Carpathians.

...bears an uncanny resemblence with this one from wikipedia:

The Dacians (tribe) were known as Geton (plural Getae) in Greek writings, and as Dacus (plural Daci) and also Getae in Roman documents; also as Dagae and Gaete—see the late Roman map Tabula Peutingeriana. Strabo states that the original name of the Dacians was "daoi", which could be explained with a possible Phrygian cognate "daos", meaning "wolf". This assumption may be supported by the fact that one of the Dacian standards, the Dacian Draco, had a wolf's head. Phrygii was another cognate used within the region, and in later times, some Roman auxiliaries recruited from the area were referred to as Phrygi. Their capital was not Argedava near the Danube, but Sarmizegetusa, in the Sureanu mountains, in the Romanian Western Carpathians.

Of course, wiki also states before that that "The capital of the kingdom was the city of Argedava (also called Sargedava in some historical writings) situated close to the river Danube." So I wouldn't use it as a source on this subject.

Yes it does because it's edited somewhat, rather than plopping it all down. What should have been there but was omitted due to actions beyond my control was;

Burebista had or centered his power in Argedava, Decebalus on the other hand located in Sarmizegetusa which, has been considered the 'capital' of the Dacians.

There are many that talk / argue about ancient Romanian history, some saying that during the Communist era it was entirely re-written and many historical sources lost or destroyed. Today is still somewhat chaotic, but respected younger archaeoligists are attempting to rectify this. If you would like a real taste of how divisive this is, check this :

http://www.allempires.net/forum_post...TID=22043&PN=1

There is also another error in the preview. Cookie to any non-team member who finds it.

Well I'm away for the next 72 hrours. Should give you all lots of time to find more faults.
    Last edited by Arnspac; February 27, 2009 at 04:25 AM.

I don't deliberately seek out faults, but rather I am not scared to point out mistakes. And I only noticed the stuff about wikipedia because I quickly wanted to check about the Dacians and the Getae. The sentence "Their capital was not Argedava (...) but Sarmisegetusa (...)" kinda draws attention.

Thanks for the link - it is very interesting. And your units are excellent.
    Last edited by Caligula Caesar; February 27, 2009 at 11:47 AM.

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

Don't take wiki postings as being complete or accurate, though...

They may not be either. :hmmm:
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

Of course not.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

For instance, I once had to write an essay about the first crusade. I couldn't find the right information and used wiki... only to find out the next week that the information I had used was wrong.

Banfred's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula Caesar View Post
    For instance, I once had to write an essay about the first crusade. I couldn't find the right information and used wiki... only to find out the next week that the information I had used was wrong.
    You mean Emperor Alexios WASN'T a time traveling Thai hooker?
    Do you play Morrowind? Do you like old castles, ferocious hairy beasts, expansive wintry forests, and killing dark elves?

Then check out Skyrim: Home of the Nords! A mod for TES III: Morrowind.

Indeed. Although it was more along the line of how 50000 people got slaughtered :original: