Page 8 of 93 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast

Thread: -- Preview of Isengard --

Senator

Default Re: -- Preview of Isengard --

So, have you already decided that are you going to include those explosives which Saruman used in movies?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygoat View Post
    I remember now the shields dont have white hands. In the movie, when saruman was building his army in isengard, there seemed to be some variation in the weapons and helmets. it is possible the problem is in my memory though.

Oh, and i still think some white hands could be painted on the uruks (i think they were in the movies? you probably know better though), but i really cant tell where. If im wrong just forget what i said.
    Yea, i proposed some variations for the Uruks some posts ago, unfortunately Mith crushed my cause

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

Quote Originally Posted by Santeri View Post
    So, have you already decided that are you going to include those explosives which Saruman used in movies?
    KK hasn't had time to test my idea yet.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

DjAci's Avatar Semisalis

The preview is very bad.

Such wonderful, detailed, beuatiful units, amazing wargs (the best if the preview), amazing detail on helms and faces... and so few pictures

I want to see large BIG pictures of wargs, berserkers, from several angles. See the units in all their glory. This is playing with us. Giving us so much, but to few to keep your soul happy.....

Anyway, superb work, crossbows are my favuorite so far. rep++++++++
    I am slightly obsessed with longbows

If I could add in another suggestion:
    I think it would be nice if the armour would be a little darker. And perhaps a bit more specular lights (if that's possible in M2:TW engine). The armour looks kinda dull now.
    It would make them look alot scarier and that's what I loved about the Uruk-hai in the movies.
    Gameplay > tiny little things

Quote Originally Posted by lennartje View Post
    The armour looks kinda dull now.
    I'm pretty sure that's on purpose. Saruman didn't care for shiny armor.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

But it takes away some of their scary looks. Perhaps only a little darker would do aswell, though.
    Gameplay > tiny little things

I personally love the armor textures, so I'm probably not the right person to discuss this with. I suppose I'm pretty biased.

Having that said, I guess a slightly darker color couldn't hurt, if that's what the fans want.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

looking great. im a little worried about the number of troop types they have. but i guess they will be getting men of dunland and standard orcs too?

They'll get Snaga units and Dunlendings, yes. Dunlendings aren't 100% confirmed for the first release, though.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

DjAci's Avatar Semisalis

I must agree with the people in favour of slight variations in armor made only by several randomly placed white hands on their torso. I agree that Isengard looks very good uniformed and that helm and other variations are not necessery. However even in modern uniformed forces all soldiers don't look 100% equal. Not in terms of equipment, but in terms of small symbolic differences.

Each warrior (not really each, a few variations) could only have one (or none) white hand on his torso put randomly by snaga orcs as he was sent to battle. Like choosing only one of many white hands on the berserkers (a great detail). It doesn't seem like a big bother, and would make the look far more real, while not damaging their uniformity.

I don't like the idea of hands on thier armor, I'd prefer to have it on their banners. I love that they look like an evil version of the perfectly uniform Gondor and when I zoom out, the black armor will make them look like hundreds of ants swarming over the enemy.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

Phunkracy's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir the Istari View Post
    They have the white hand on banners. I don't think it'd look very nice on their shields, it'd destroy the "black tide" effect.
    Mith, if so many people have already come with such statement, then there must be something with it. I agree that Uruk Hai should have more 'industrial' look, however it isn't a clone army! For now, the only thing that differs Uruks from each other is the face (two variants), which can hardly be seen under the helmet. IMO (and not only mine) some aditional white hands on the shield would add much flavour into their (uruk's) look. And I'm pretty damn sure it won't change their 'industrialised' look into worse. Your proposition is a step backward, into RTW.

DjAci's Avatar Semisalis

I hate you Mithrandir, I hate you....(runs away crying)

Swan Knights, Gondor Infantry and Dragonslayers (to mention a few) don't have any variation within the unit, yes nobody has complained about them.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

DjAci's Avatar Semisalis

I love you Punkhracy, i love you... (runs towords with hands open)

That's a bad Mithrandir, bad Mithrandir.

People I think mutiny is necessery.

It's a matter of taste, really. Some people like them uniformed and some want a little variation. I personally love the unity and I think a single white hand mark on their torso would look a bit off. The mark would either have to be hand-sized (which would look... sloppy, for a lack of a better word) or pretty much cover the whole chest plate (which would look even worse). Covering them with several hand-sized marks would make them look too much like berserkers for my taste. I could live with a big white hand mark on their shields, but I'd rather be without them.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

DjAci's Avatar Semisalis

Swan Knights, Gondor Infantry and Dragonslayers (to mention a few) don't have any variation within the unit, yes nobody has complained about them.
    Acually they do. Swan knights have varied symbols on their shields. And dragonslayers have a least 4 types of very well seen beard with at least 2 armor variations.

Adding a white hand here and there would make Uruks much more natural, and not any less uniformed. And they would even then be as Swan knights are now.

Alright, I forgot about the shields, but that's besides the point. The Gondor Soldiers have identical armor and shields, yet nobody has asked for more variation. That was my point.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

DjAci's Avatar Semisalis

It's a matter of taste, really. Some people like them uniformed and some want a little variation. I personally love the unity and I think a single white hand mark on their torso would look a bit off. The mark would either have to be hand-sized (which would look... sloppy, for a lack of a better word) or pretty much cover the whole chest plate (which would look even worse). Covering them with several hand-sized marks would make them look too much like berserkers for my taste. I could live with a big white hand mark on their shields, but I'd rather be without them.

I dont see why a single hand sized white hand would be sloppy. Simply take one of many berserkers hands and stick the texture on the armor of a few uruks. Make 3-4 variations with different positions of the hand. With 3-4 hand variations, and some without the hand would make a very realistic army. It would be a small subtle detail, and would be small enough not to jeopardize the "Black mass" of units.

I would prefer to keep hands off the shields, but I would not mind if a few warriors had a small hand even there.
    Last edited by DjAci; February 20, 2009 at 12:54 PM.