View Poll Results: Shall Mithrandir become a Citizen?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 63.64%
  • No

4 36.36%
  • Abstain

0 0%

Thread: [PASSED 02/26/09] [Civitate] Mithrandir the Istari (Patron: Code_Knight)

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Default [PASSED 02/26/09] [Civitate] Mithrandir the Istari (Patron: Code_Knight)

Client: Mithrandir the IstariWell, I spend a lot of time on TWC (an hour a day at the very least), mainly the Third Age: Total War subforum. My work assignments are moderating the forums, public relations and Beta-testing. The Third Age subforum is the most active mod forum on the site, so I have to keep up with quite a lot of posts and threads and I think I've handled that well. I've been complimented on my work as a Local Mod and I think I got what it takes to step up and be a Junior Moderator. I've answered (literally) hundreds of questions in the Third Age subforum and I do my best to keep it friendly and clean, while at the same time not being all too strict (an occasional joke is fine with me, as long as it doesn't derail).
    I have done extensive Beta-testing for Third Age: Total War; I have posted a lot of balance reports, bug reports and I have also tweaked the EDU to more accurately reflect the strength of Elves and Dwarves in the mod. I'm going to record a multitude of elvish voice clips for use in the mod and I've come up with quite a few well-recieved ideas over the 11 months I've been around.

I guess that's it. As you know, I've got an AAR coming up, but that's not until the relase of TATW.

Patron: Code_KnightI'm patronizing Mithrandir the Istari , he is a local moderator for the TATW forums and was originally put on the team by me for his extensive knowledge of his surroundings in TWC. The Third Age forums were a mess before he came along, he knows how to talk with people in a calm, collected way that sorts out issues while still knowing when to close or delete threads. Because of these qualities, I think he would make a fine addition to the TWC family. He is applying for Civitate.

Default Re: [Citizen] Mithrandir the Istari (Patron: Code_Knight)

Yes.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: [Civitate] Mithrandir the Istari (Patron: Code_Knight)

I'm generally opposed to local moderation being the main contribution, but this is a rare exception. I don't visit the TATW forums very often, but when I have I've recognized the utility that Mithrandir the Istari serves for the team. What some people who aren't modders don't realize is that PR is as much a part of modding as any other aspect(not as much when you're dealing with pop culture, but it still factors in). Time spent answering fans questions is time spent not modding, but ignoring questions from fans for that reason is still not the best way to go about it. Someone who can effectively speak on behalf of the team without needing to be clarified by the actual modders time and time again is a valid utility to the modding process(especially if they also contribute to the development in non-modding ways).

Considering that all the TATW developers are or will in the near future be Opifex, it only makes sense that the one responsible for maintaining positive community outlook and relations so that increased interest is nurtured, should be recognized for those contributions as well. I think Citizen is the better name for Mithrandir(as opposed to Civitate), since he isn't an artificer but his community efforts are centric to mod development.

He has my support.

Poll added.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

I like him and his work, and it seems he would be most worthy of the badge.

Yes..

Necrobrit's Avatar Urbanis Legio

Yes.

The Imperial House Of The Wolf
    Son of WBK/Anagennese.
    The second generation of The Imperial Household: Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion, Kagemusha, Muizer, Battle Knight and Asterix
    Father of Zuwxiv, Borsook, PyrrhusIV, and Aristocrat formerly bestowing patronage upon Omnipotent-Q

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Yes moderating TATW forums is no easy task as they are one of the more busy mod forums. So a yes from me.
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

No. We recently rejected another member on the basis that local moderation and generally being helpful, answering questions .etc on a mod forum was not enough to grant citizenship. I agreed with that sentiment, and I still do, so I voted no. It would seem quite ironic not do so.

Being helpful and holding local moderating privileges on a forum is certainly good, but I don't know how much of a contribution it is, and I certainly have my doubts about that Public Relations spot. From what I have seen, he is certainly very helpful to the TATW team, but I just can't vote yes for someone who has no modding related contributions in a modding forum. That might be just me of course, but I will stand by my opinion, unless proved wrong.
    Last edited by Soulghast; February 25, 2009 at 01:24 AM.
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

I'm going to have to agree with Soulghast on this one. Exactly what has he done? Local mods for the rpg subforums wouldn't get a second look, what makes this any different? Because it's a LoTR mod? He seems enthusiastic about the mod and everything, but I see nothing exceptional.

Necrobrit's Avatar Urbanis Legio

Quote Originally Posted by B. Ward View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with Soulghast on this one. Exactly what has he done? Local mods for the rpg subforums wouldn't get a second look, what makes this any different? Because it's a LoTR mod? He seems enthusiastic about the mod and everything, but I see nothing exceptional.
    He isn't applying for a mod related award, this is an old school type of civitate picked out for an exceptional degree of interest in the total war series and a high degree of helpfulness. Keeping the total war sections populated with his type should be a priority, therefore I think they are worth rewarding even if they dont quite match up to the typical standards for artifex or civitate.

The Imperial House Of The Wolf
    Son of WBK/Anagennese.
    The second generation of The Imperial Household: Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion, Kagemusha, Muizer, Battle Knight and Asterix
    Father of Zuwxiv, Borsook, PyrrhusIV, and Aristocrat formerly bestowing patronage upon Omnipotent-Q

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

So I can basically create an alt, start a mod, and let my alt be a local mod and that would qualify as worthy of citizenship? Not talking down on the guy. Love the guy's attitude, but are you telling me that coupled with his enthusiasm in a modification is enough? If that's the case, then every enthusiastic local mod in mod subforums should have no problem becoming citizens.

Indeed. He has no real solid proof of contribution. And frankly I have seen other local mods doing a better job.

It is however worth mentioning that he has a good attitude, and was one of the few people that stayed within the rules on that sub forum.

Perhaps he is someone who should be considered in the future.
    Artifex
    Under the patronage of King Kong
    Proud patron of y2day and yelowdogg23

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Doing PR for a sizable mod is no easy task. In fact, it is very hard. Very hard. Mithrandir isn't really blowing me away at this though, so I was a bit on the fence. But then when I consider his high quality posting in the total war sections, and his helpfulness to other members, I can't but consider him a clear yes.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Passed.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars