Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon: Total War Announcements

Default Re: Amazon: Total War Announcements

Thanks guys, I think they are worth the extra 10mb in the download size.

I have done some more tweaking to the ground textures, varying the shades of the swamp and fertility types to take out the yellows and browns and make them greener. I like how it has turned out.

The map is much more brighter and lively. The fertile areas are easy to tell, the darker the green the more fertile you are getting. When you get really dark it is a forest. All of the ground types really stand out now , making it much easier to tell if an area is swamp or wilderness or something else.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Nile Valley really pops out against the desert.

The southern steppe shows the 3 basic fertility types. The northern half is low fertility, the area around Olbia is medium, and that around Tanais is high. The very neck of the Crimea is swamp

The Gauls now have natural camouflage, blending in with the background of the Po Valley.

HOLY CRAP THAT LOOKS GOOD!!!!!! I really like how the Nile region looks. The desert is probably the most attractive part in my opinion. Great job SubRosa.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Loving it, especially the steppes textures.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Re: Amazon: Total War

I've seen this little "slit of water" (around the Triton place), is/was that geographically real? It's on another map used in DTW and was curious if it was real.

That is Lake Tritonis, and yes it was real, at least according to ancient historians. Although they were not clear on exactly where it was (but then again, that goes for many other places too). North Africa was cooler, and wetter two thousand years ago, so places like that could exist. Steady climate change has made the region warmer and drier, and an earthquake did not help things either, and the modern site is a vast salt lake called Chott el Djerid.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Subrosa Florens View Post
    That is Lake Tritonis, and yes it was real, at least according to ancient historians. Although they were not clear on exactly where it was (but then again, that goes for many other places too). North Africa was cooler, and wetter two thousand years ago, so places like that could exist. Steady climate change has made the region warmer and drier, and an earthquake did not help things either, and the modern site is a vast salt lake called Chott el Djerid.
    Ah, ok. Thanks, but I did find it weird that there was a Greek colony there, that far inland.
    Last edited by Subrosa Florens; May 31, 2009 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    Ah, ok. Thanks, but I did find it weird that there was a Greek colony there, that far inland.
    Read the faction description for the Gorgons and you will see why.

I finally fixed the problem of victory videos not playing. I was mistakenly putting the mod path in descr_sm_factions.txt.

I only have stills looped into a video for now. I am not sure when I will be able to create actual new videos. But it is a lot better than a black screen.

I also imported neo_deus' Numidian Legionary shield from Spartacus: TW for my own Numidians. It really completes the excellent work that Medusa0 did for them. Special thanks go to both for their contributions.

Last edited by Subrosa Florens; May 31, 2009 at 06:57 PM.

Content Emeritus

Both things look lovely in my opinion, especially the new videos.

I thought it was chaat al-jareed. I learned about it in year 6 I think and it's in modern Tunisia.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Nicely done

One of the TGW team...
    I just do whatever needs doing! Sel does most of the work

Quote Originally Posted by Legio Caesar View Post
    Both things look lovely in my opinion, especially the new videos.
    Thank you Legio, you always have positive things to say.

Quote Originally Posted by stormer barca
    I thought it was chaat al-jareed. I learned about it in year 6 I think and it's in modern Tunisia.
    That is the same place. But you locals probably use the proper name while the rest of us get the messed up version that gets printed in English.

Quote Originally Posted by King Lars of the Red Planet
    Nicely done
    Thank you.

I have been busily working on ATW. I finally completed redoing the unit cards for the cavalry of all the Amazon factions in order to get the new horses in.

When I finished I was looking at the old info cards of the other Amazon units, and decided to go ahead and remake all of them as the info cards are relatively simple to do (it is the ui cards that take forever, since you have to size them just perfect to make them of uniform height and scale as all the others). My unit card-fu has dramatically improved since I made the previous ones. I am about a third of the way through, and here is an example of what I have done.

Thanks to some advice by Scutarii I also revamped ship stats in order to make naval combat more decisive, and less a game of ping-pong batting enemy ships back and forth between your own fleets. I doubled all of the attack ratings, cut the defense to the bone, and reduced all the crews to a base of 10 (so 40 on Huge scale). That should make more a lot more ships being sunk rather than running away.

Content Emeritus

I like them a lot, especially the different ground textures beneath them.

Quote Originally Posted by Legio Caesar View Post
    I like them a lot, especially the different ground textures beneath them.
    Thank you. I have almost a dozen different ground types for my unit card templates now. Most of them from the various texture files of RTW itself.
    Last edited by Subrosa Florens; June 07, 2009 at 06:13 PM.

I have been experimenting with a new Amazon General. It is still very much a work in progress, but here is what I have so far:

I am thinking of making that necklace have a gorgon's head, I am not sure what I will use for the brooch on the cloak. Then I was thinking of adding some kind of embellishments on the armour and helmet, if I can. I would like to change the skirt too, but I am not sure what with. Maybe make it a mail skirt instead of cloth.

Erzin's Avatar Laetus

Pretty good work on the general. You can ignore all of my PM now since seeing this answers my questions...

Ha! I just answered the PM and said to come here!

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have been experimenting with a new Amazon General. It is still very much a work in progress, but here is what I have so far:

I am thinking of making that necklace have a gorgon's head, I am not sure what I will use for the brooch on the cloak. Then I was thinking of adding some kind of embellishments on the armour and helmet, if I can. I would like to change the skirt too, but I am not sure what with. Maybe make it a mail skirt instead of cloth.
    As much as I love the corinthian, I think it'd be cool to give her an attic type helmet so we can see her face. But I don't know if that's within your ability or not, to create a face on her.