Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Amazon: Total War Announcements

Default Re: Amazon: Total War Announcements

The 2nd tier unit has no greaves. The 3rd tier unit needs them to be more distinctive from it. So greaves it is for them.

Now, the latest unit. I spent a lot of time slaving over these girls. You cannot tell from the picture, but I actually scaled them up by an extra 10% to make them larger. They are the Bean Sidhe 4th tier unit, an elite 2 handed swordswoman. I am not sure what I will call them. Maybe The Raven Feeders (although since that is the name of an Arthurian TW release, I would sooner use something else).

I know that part of the mystique around them will be that their swords are said to be enchanted by Brigit herself, and quenched in human blood during their forging so that they will always have a taste for it. Some whisper that it is not Brigit, but rather the Morrigan who performs this dark task.

Upon their back is slung an ancient hoplon from the original founders of the Bean Sidhe. Emblazoned upon its surface is a raven I might use for the Bean Sidhe faction symbol, courtesy of Palantir and his incomparable Viking Invasion II.

Last edited by Subrosa Florens; July 06, 2009 at 08:10 PM.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Brigit looks great!
    Or is that not her name

Perhaps "Brigit's Chosen"? That's a nice looking model, though I am a bit disappointed that the face is rather indistinct. It would be nice to see the eyes at least.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Content Emeritus

Hehe, can we have unique faces for the women?
    Oh, hurr, the men too, of course, um, yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarVincens View Post
    Perhaps "Brigit's Chosen"? That's a nice looking model, though I am a bit disappointed that the face is rather indistinct. It would be nice to see the eyes at least.
    It is a side-effect of having a "real" helmet (i.e. one where the model bulges out on the head where the helmet is). Because of that it puts the area immediately below in shadow, which of course is where the eyes are. Look at the vanilla Greek Hoplites. They do not appear to have any eyes at all because of that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by YMCA Lego
    Hehe, can we have unique faces for the women?
    Oh, hurr, the men too, of course, um, yeah...
    We can if you do the artwork for them.

The latest, my new German Screechers, who will use the same model as the Bean Sidhe ones (and also have a raven cloak). I am very happy with how they turned out. Much better than the vanilla version.

Content Emeritus

Wouldn't want to meet her in a dark forest...
    Fearsome!

I would. We could compare notes about world domination over a few glasses of wine.

A few more model/skins.

Bean Sidhe Archers

Bean Sidhe Chosen Archers.

I only have a few more to go. Heavy Chariots, Early Bodyguards, and Late Bodyguards. Plus the Generals and Captains, which I think will just be reskins of the existing ones in Bean Sidhe colours. Then I can start in on all the coding, and sprites of course.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

You do know on that shield of the those chainmail Raven Feeder things that is the Danish Raven? (Odin's assistant and pet, I think)

Yes I do know about that raven symbol. Odin had two ravens, Hugin and Mugin (thought and memory), who acted as his spies in Midgard.

Also Harald Hardrada had a banner called Landwaster that featured a raven and was said to be made by a Witch. It brought victory to the army that carried it, but caused the death of its bearer. I put a similar legendary artifact in ATW for the Germans.

But even more importantly, the raven figures very prominently in both Celtic and Germanic myth as a psychopomp. In this role they are strongly associated with female deities and spirits. Freja and her valkyrja for the Germans, and the Morrigan for the Celts. The Morrigan (and other Celtic war goddesses) could transform herself into a raven or crow, and the Celts left their dead on the battlefield rather than bury them as an offering to her. When the ravens came to eat the corpses they saw it has her accepting the gift. While the valkyra were said to wear coats of crows feathers, and were sometimes called krakeit, meaning crows. Again, they saw the ravens that came for the corpses as being spirits that came for the souls of the dead.

To this day ravens and crows are harbingers of doom. Most people consider seeing one to be a very bad sign (I am one of the few who feels the opposite). It is an ideal symbol for the Bean Sidhe, both due to the association with the Morrigan, and because of the fear that seeing it provokes in enemies.

I finished the last of the Bean Sidhe skins today. Thanks go to Palantir for the donation of the shield textures from VI2.

Bean Sidhe Cavalry - This will be their only pure horse unit (barring generals)

Early General's Bodyguard

Late General's Bodyguard

Now I will start working on the unit code.

Content Emeritus

They all look fantastic!

OOps, I almost forgot.

Head Hurlers

Great Job SubRosa!!!!!!!!!

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Subrosa Florens View Post
    OOps, I almost forgot.

Head Hurlers
    Now that's marriage material right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    Now that's marriage material right there.
    Oh, did I forget to mention that her name is Elizabeth Bennet? Now where did that Mr. Darcy get to...

Content Emeritus

I got it! Pride and Prejudice!
    not that I, have the dvd or anything, no really i dont! it was for a school project!

I like the headhurler a lot! Your units are certainly an improvement on vanilla, and I daresay, the units of a few other mods!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael333 View Post
    Great Job SubRosa!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by YMCA Lego
    I got it! Pride and Prejudice!
    not that I, have the dvd or anything, no really i dont! it was for a school project!
    You should get it then! The 1995 mini-series with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth is the best version out there. The other ones are too short, and have to clip out huge swaths of the plot.

The BBC version I hope (the one with Colin is the BBC IIRC), there is another mini-series which doesn't compare. The movie with Kiera Knightly was decent, but they did have to cut out quite a bit.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.