Thread: 2 comps connected in 1 house

Ill try to be a little more specific. What parts/equipment do I need to allow 2 computers in the same house to play games together?
    This may be what is defined as LAN or something like it.

No, that isn't a banana

that depends on your needs. for a PC to PC connection, all you need is a crossover cable and 2 ethernet connections (either onboard or cards.)

for an internet based network you need a router, cat-5 cable, and 2 ethernet connections. wireless, or wired - either will work.

Originally posted by Colt45@Apr 13 2005, 06:35 AM
    Ill try to be a little more specific. What parts/equipment do I need to allow 2 computers in the same house to play games together?
    This may be what is defined as LAN or something like it.
    look for an online home networking tutorial on google, better than having us explain it usually.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Don't forget that you need a cross cable if you do direct PC-PC connection. If you don't know whether yours is a cross or straight, look at the colour on the wires at both heads of the cable. If the colour sequence is the same, then you have a straight cable. If it's different, it's a cross.
    Back to play MTW2...

Ok, with a crossover cable connecting 2 computers, will I be able to play LAN games with the 2? If so, are there any additional steps required beyond just loading up the game. Thanks for the help.

No, that isn't a banana

if you just want ot play 1 Vs 1 games, then a cross over cable is all that is required.

Thanks again for the help. I had tried this with an old laptop and my comp, didnt work. Its obvious now because I didnt have the crossover cable. Gonna have some fun with RTW this summer against my bro.