Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 1100 AD Campaign

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: 1100 campaign

awellesley

you'll be please to know that the revised files on the O/P work fine so far.!!

(no CTDs or anything - and look new units from turn 1 - maybe I'll be able to hang on Jerusalem this time!)

Opinion this: Tripoli and Acre - could we make 1 or both cities and not castles? They were major sea ports and trade centres see:
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=b...um=1&ct=result

(that's the new cambridge medieval history vol 5 for those with hard copy)

Apparently Acre was worth £50,000 to its owner in the middle ages

- whole page worth reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    awellesley

you'll be please to know that the revised files on the O/P work fine so far.!!

(no CTDs or anything - and look new units from turn 1 - maybe I'll be able to hang on Jerusalem this time!)

Opinion this: Tripoli and Acre - could we make 1 or both cities and not castles? They were major sea ports and trade centres see:
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=b...um=1&ct=result

(that's the new cambridge medieval history vol 5 for those with hard copy)

Apparently Acre was worth 50,000 to its owner in the middle ages

(temp place holder post - need to chase up the ref for more details)
    I love the CMH. Read it for fun a few times. My wife hates it when she sees that because she know I am lost for the evening. It is a, interesting idea to make all the coastal settlements cities. My concern becomes at this point will that potentially make the crusader states too strong? I reduced the population in Jerusalem and Antioch but they have such high growth rates that they are at 15000+ before too long. Having 4 large seaside cities might make them financially over-power fatimids and turks. Any thoughts? I do like the thoughts of them having to conquer Kerak and Aleppo to have any castles though. Kind of a nice bookend thing going on there with the inland castles protecting the coastal cities.:hmmm:

Have been playing as KoJ to test this and enjoying it - up to the point where i can't expand due to having not enough money or troops. (same old same old)

Even when Cairo has been captured by a crusader army I still get a stack of egyptians either attacking Jerusalem or Kerak (or the Turks take a fancy to Edessa) virtually every other turn. It takes ages to capture both Acre and Tripoli (well when I play it!) If we made them large towns say that would mean that if captured they could then generate more cash once you manage to get the trade buildings set-up.

Having lots of epic battles btw. And some satisfying small scale events where a small cavalry army (5 units) destroys a couple of half-stack Egyptian infantry forces. Silver chevrons all round!

(damn those Egyptian hashishim are a devil to destroy - my tin men hardly scratch them. The Old Man of the Mountains would be proud of them.)
    http://www.phinnweb.org/neuro/assassins.html

Previously on this thread aw suggested changing the map -I'd recommend leaving it for now so the mod is compatible with other mods that rely on it.

(I'd have no objection to changing a few more region names:

Toulouse region from Gascony to Toulouse
    Bordeaux region from Aquitaine to Gascony
    Exeter region from Dumnomia to Cornwall
    London region from Wessex to London )

(Have you checked the TheSavages work on Lusted's CAI - haven't tried it myself but might be worth a look?)
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; February 24, 2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: re-rendered into english

I am going to release a semi-final edition on the opening post. Please let me know how you like it any any bugs would be helpful. Only some minor tweakings but it includes a new map tga for the crusader states and all the modified factions. I am sorry if it looks amateurish but that's what I am. I and others may release a more involved version once 6.2 and the roster mods merge is finished.

This is the approximate model with some exceptions. I think as is, it would overpower the HRE and ERE. I am not going to mention Portugal. The various Turkish regions are more united than portrayed.

http://www.euratlas.com/history_euro..._map_1100.html
    Last edited by Awellesley; February 24, 2009 at 12:55 PM.

(hmm HRE is a pain - the old SS gave the family members such negative traits it broke apart (which was historical up to point.) On the other hand unless we find a way of limiting it in some way it can become far too dominant when the PC plays it. (France usually suffers.)

--

Another possibility is removing Lithuania as a faction from the early era (frees up a faction slot)
    but keep many of their units for Baltic rebel armies.

Sweden would be a good addition if poss.

(I'd really like to see those northern european villages on top of hills brought back too!)

--
    As for expanding the mod - I'm sure a 2 Turn per year game would be popular and if we can do that.

There's work being done a Georgia / Timurid mod but Timurids won't feature in a 1100AD mod but georgia again would be a useful addition.

I'd be inclined to let others do the hard work off adding new factions for now, if we can get this plus 2 tpy working that will be a worthy project of its own, but it can be expanded once that is finalised.

Default Re: 1100 campaign ***Updated Feb 24***

(comments refer to version prior to the 24th feb version)

OK got well into a KoJ campaign.

Lots of battles (on M/M) - gives a chance to win and I can't test the game if I lose too quickly!

couple of minor points: mercenary longbowmen are available far too early. I'd scrap the dismounted french archers anyway they only came into use during the 15th century as part of the major reorganisation of the French military. Free company longbowmen were more an off-shoot of the 100 years war, so at earliet maybe 1300-1350.

Hashishim seem overpowered, templar squires (who shouldn't really be heavy infantry) hardly make a dent on them 1v1.

This mod is playable up to the point I tested it and works OK. If we can change Tripoli and Acre to large towns that would make it better for me. (maybe reduce mercs available in town ports?) Also KoJ should be able to recruit limited amounts of town militia and militia crossbows.

I've DL's TheSavage's CAI to see if that works well with the mod.

--

Have now DL'd the new version and will install and test later.

--

OK installed fine and works OK.
    KoJ .tga needs shrinking to fit the map box.

can we make a new event - knights templar founded - after which templar units can be recruited - maybe have the chapter houses as resources in the 3 starting regions? (no idea if there's a way to make it easier for KoJ to get them.)

will look at theSavage's mod later.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; February 25, 2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: er update

Been examining the building costs in the latest edb (not sure how much of the original from RC4 you have changed in terms of costs and build times - overwrote the RC4 EDB when I installed the 1100ad sub-mod.

(I've posted a spreadsheet comparing RC4 (well the version in 1100ad) with the tsarsies - to see if there any likely problems with the file - as far as i can see the tsarsies edb has building costs that are too high for the AI to cope with, but it is well balanced in other regards.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...65#post4544965

(they may all be vanilla RC4 issues

Seems very strange that pagan temples which lack walls and roofs cost more to build than other religious buildings.

also dievas temple line more expensive than other pagan temples

To avoid complications could their costs be brought in line with other religious buildings please?

Cannon buildings seem underpriced (ie the same cost as wooden siege engine builders.) They need increasing by 50% approx.

Roads - cost of anything above dirt roads was prohibitively expensive in medieval times. Suggest cost of paved roads is increased from 1500 to 6000 and highways from 2500 to 9000

seems to be discrepancy between public bath costs and bimaristan. (have same build time) suggest increase public baths to 6400 and aqueduct to 9600.

alchemist labs seem under priced suggest doubling costs.

artist studio and ikoner studio are priced differently (artists studio half the cost of equivalent ikoner studio) - same build times.

caravan stops - can these be made available to all middle eastern factions?
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; February 27, 2009 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks for your continued work and investigation. I am really busy marking exams right now, so I cannot commit a lot of time at the present. I plan to make more change to the EDB amongst others, so thanks for the great comments. What do you think about adding the hording ability to factions with a very small horde allowance so that you have to kill all the family members to eliminate them? I know it was put out here before, but not sure what the reception was like. I also need to adjust the names and ages of characters to account for the twenty year difference. William the Bastard was already dead by 1100 for example. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Awellesley; February 27, 2009 at 10:37 AM.

I really don't like hordes - they can cause an awful long wait when it happens. (up to 20-30 minutes so I'm told.

No if a faction is dead that's it, out of the game. no replay.

I'll post a revised suggestion for cost and build times for both 1100ad (18mths a turn) and a 2 tpy version early next week. (something to do over the weekend.) Note they won't be strictly comparable as I suspect the AI finances won't cope with very expensive buildings and humans won't want to spend 15-20 turns whilst a building is finished.

(Have to find that elusive balance between historical realism / human playability / ai ability to cope. I'm sure I left it around here somewhere.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    Have been playing as KoJ to test this and enjoying it - up to the point where i can't expand due to having not enough money or troops. (same old same old)

Even when Cairo has been captured by a crusader army I still get a stack of egyptians either attacking Jerusalem or Kerak (or the Turks take a fancy to Edessa) virtually every other turn. It takes ages to capture both Acre and Tripoli (well when I play it!)
    Remember, the crusader states did have a difficult time in real life. Despite all the crusades, knightly orders and support from the west, they only lasted around two hundred years. I am hoping that the rebel cities of damascus and aleppo will slow down the turks, but edessa is vulnerable no doubt. Perhaps, the starting garrisons for Acre and Tripoli should be lowered or have KOJ have some starting leftover crusaders. After all, they did take Acre in 1104 and Raymond took Tripoli in 1109 with his Provencals.

I am planning a new update incorporating some of the changes suggested here. Also some new wrinkles: two new provinces (Pisa and BerwicK), merging of the KT and KOJ rosters and a Knights Templar historical event in 1129 that will unlock the Templar units.
    Last edited by Awellesley; March 01, 2009 at 03:00 PM.

Default Re: 1100 campaign*Updated Feb 24*

We don't want to make life too easy for players of KoJ - but I haven't seen how the AI plays it -maybe it'll do well. Shouldn't worry too much about changing acre and tripoli garrisons - but making them towns would be nice.

As we are at the region limit which regions do you propose chopping out for Pisa and Berwick? (I would have though that northern Italy was too crowded for more regions to fit in there. Replacing Florence with Pisa for a 1100AD campaign is fine (the map can change for later campaigns anyway.) Do we need Berwick? It was fought over many times, and at some stages was an important sea port, but in terms of England I would have thought Bristol, Norwich and Chester were more deserving of representation? (And Scotalnd needs a west coast town - Glasgow?)

Herewith some suggested changes to the EDB, I've revised some building costs and times, cut a few AI bonuses, removed population bonuses and papal disapproval. Not tested it yet so use at your own risk - will replace if I find any problems with it.

Attachment 32123

Just off hand, I was going to take one from the cumans and one from the kwarz. However, if ireland gets written out, there would be two easy spots to take out. If ireland is gone, I thought Berwick would be there to make the conflict between scotsland and england more significant. It is not really specifically for either faction. Pisa would move further south and florence a little north. I have it working I think but need to test the pathfinding better. Thanks for the updates, will view them asap.

p.s. going to vacation in florida for a week. it is too friggin cold here still. talk to you all later on.

Have a happy holiday!

Suspect I shall be vacationing on empire:total war later this week.

(Correction - got the retail version of the game - now I have to download 100MB of files from steam before I can play the blooming thing.
    So I shall be sitting here for 10 hours minimum just to be able to play the game I paid for. (No broadband) (Not impressed.)

spotted this:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=230623

excellent list of genoan names. can it be incorporated in 1100ad?

I remain reluctant to mess around with the map, doing so means the mod is no longer compatible with other mods that depend on those regions.

(I wouldn't want to see Ireland reduced to a single region. Berwick seems inessential although it was fought over many times I am sure there are plenty of other places which have a greater claim for representation - Seville really should be in the game for example.)
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; March 05, 2009 at 08:33 AM.

I play ss 6.2 rc 4 Early Campaign with slight modifications mean Crusader states faction have only one town Jerusalem and K.T faction remain unchanged and playable also adding T.O faction from the begining starting with one town Uppsala and the game goes great, AI is very aggresive clever and unpredictable.
    your work was very useful for me
    thanks

Updated. Please see first post.

I will not be editing any more of this until the official 6.2 patch comes out, but I will post bug fixes, etc. Please feel free to leave comments/concerns. I will post a few screens soon.
    Last edited by Awellesley; March 15, 2009 at 07:27 PM.

Default Re: 1100 AD Campaign*Updated March 15*

Will DL pronto but am currently playing a tsarsies 2tpy campaign - over 900 turns - f it lasts that long - as we need to see if the AI can cope with building costs.

Will return here once that is sorted.

The changes to the latest edition look good - hope you can find some more testers - no big rush as I doubt final SS6.2 will be out for a while yet.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; March 16, 2009 at 07:22 AM.

some screen shots:

Byzantine Pecheneg Guard,
    Crusader Reg Swords
    Crusader Sryian Aux.
    Templar longbowmen
    Last edited by Awellesley; November 26, 2009 at 01:40 PM.

Sorry, I realized I put the wrong EDB in that package. Updated on first post.

Map of the revised starting positions, changes circled
    Please rep if you enjoy it, I don't want to be an "unknown quantity" anymore.
    Last edited by Awellesley; April 07, 2009 at 12:13 PM.

WeiesBlitz's Avatar Libertus

I need some help. I have a ctd before the game goes to the splash screen. It runs for about 2 seconds on the splash screen then a ctd. I have worked on it for 2 hours to no avail can you please help!!!
    THX in advance
    Long Live Venice![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]