Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Agelastus/Pictor

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Agelastus/Pictor

Then i wish to propose a motion.

1: The Taxes in Rome should be set as low as possible without reckless disregard for the treasury with the decision to be taken by the consuls.

2: The taxes of allied cities should be set to medium with uniformity unless public order should become a major concern in which case a city may have it's taxes reduced.

3: No discrimination shall take place when concerning tax rates among our allied cities.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Celsus slipped in, asked one of the Senators what happened since his absence, then, satisfied with the answer stepped forward with yet another few scrolls.

"Senators! As I have promised, I put together a construction plan. Out of our 8 cities, 4 are already working on some type of construction, the exceptions are Rome, Capua, Croton and Taras.

I heard that you wished to build a Basilica in Capua. Be it so, it would cost us 6500 denarii. Then, I looked at the trade records of the remaining 3 cities and came to the conclusion that Rome and Croton are in real need of upgrading. In Rome I would advise building a Portus, (3000) strengthening our trade on sea, and in Croton, a Caupo (or Trader) (1200).

All together this would have quite a cost, so with my set of taxes our treasury total in the next 3 months (turn) would be around 2700. Setting taxes everywhere to around normal would give us about 1000 denarii more, resulting in a total of about 3800 denarii.

So I lay it into your hands once more, Senators. What should we build, when, where? What else do you ask of me? Do so anytime, for I am the humble servant of the Republic, as yours too."

Celsus sat down, waiting.

OOC: sory, no pictures this time, I won't spend my time uploading if it's not too nesacery.

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

Suddenly, a slave comes rushing in, and completely out of breath, he asks:

Senator Manlius? I have a message from my master Varius.
    Last edited by Galerius Priscus; February 19, 2009 at 01:42 PM.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Sidonius, I cannot see the difference between the motion I just vetoed and your one. Could you please point the differences out to me, if there are indeed any, or else I shall be forced to veto it again.

I support the building project proposed by the Quaestor, and urge him to submit it as a law so that we can pass it and get the construction under way.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

OOC: I don't know at all, but could personal slaves rush in and out of the Curia like that?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: I'm assuming not, but lets roll with it shall we?

Quaestor, what of the roads? Do we need any upgrade to our vital infrastructure here?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Manlius, for the first time, became angry and raised his voice in the Curia

Senator Sidonius, do not act as a fool! For I know you know better.
    There is a motion about the taxes on for voting, and one that resembles yours strongly, truly I cannot see any difference, has just been vetoed!
    So do not act as a little child that does not get what he wants and act as a Senator of Rome, for you are one!

Manlius tried to calm down, surely, this was not personal, he thought this man was far more wise then he thought... how come he did something this foolish now? Maybe he tried to act as Brutus in the past, act as someone dumb but be smart?

After hearing the Quaestor, Manlius responded

Quaestor, do you think it us possible do built all these buildings you named, without economicly and financialy killing ourselves?
    If you think we can, then I support you in this proposition, and I ask you to put forward a motion!

Manlius sat down, and waited for the response of Quaestor Celsus, when all of a sudden a slave came in, yelling his name

Manlius was surprised, and took the slave apart, thinking that it had to be something serious if a slave of his friend just ran into the curia like this. Surely it had to be something majorly important!

What is it man? What is so important that you run in like this? Acting as a madman? Surely your master thaught you better? Comon quickly man, tell me what is so important!

Manlius looked aside, towards the Senators. He hoped this fuss did not annoy the Senators...

One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

"Rome does not need better roads at the moment. We could upgrade them to a Via Principalis if we'd have 10000 denarii to be easily spent, which we don't so let us not even think of it. Squalor still needs to be solved in Capua, so the Basilica should be what we need there too. Croton, however gives us a wider variaty of choices. Instead of the Trader, we could also build a Via (800) or a Fodina (mines) (2000). However, come to think of it, I believe the best would be if we'd build roads in Croton, and as prices are lower in Tarentum, build roads there too (720)! Every one of our cities would then have an ongoing construction, and our estimated treasury total for the next season would still be around 3500 denarii.

This is what we should stick, with, Senators!"

Celsus tried to speak quickly so the other Senators don't start to focus on what was happening with his friend, Manlius. Who on earth taught a slave to do a thing like that...
    "We wouldn't kill ourselves financially. We would have a good income of about 3500 denarii per season, and a few trader buildings that the former Quaestor, Senator Manlius has started constructing will finish. Also, now is the time we make strong diplomatic ties with our neighboors, and it is most important to establish trade with even more people! A diplomatic envoy must be sent out soon!"

Senator Manlius, i don`t see any reason to yell like that.

People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Citizen

And, Sidonius, I don't see why you hold my office in such contempt, reintroducing a bill I have already vetoed. I have looked at both, and there are no differences. If don't like me, fair enough, but at least respect the office, if not the man.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Ah, but i don`t hold either you or your office in contempt, only your decision to veto the motion.

Excellent Marcellus. Thank you for laying that piece of terrible legislature to the side.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

ooc: Ponti, what's yer name again?

[Ponti], would you care to share with us why that particular piece of legislature was (and in your mind probably 'is') terrible?

And Tribune, would you care to share with us why this particular bill needed to be vetoed?
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Citizen

I consider it to be not in keeping with the interests of the Plebians. Also, there is another bill concerning taxes being voted on, and if we had two which passed, there would be a lot of confusion.
    Patron of Lysimachus

I agree with our Quaestor's decision, I see he is talented in numbers.

OOC:- Ponti's name is Scipio
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

The Praetor rises to his feet -a painful and lenghty process- and addresses the senate.

Why, praytell, should we lower taxes for those that have just raised arms against us. Are our memories so short? The stain of Roman blood is still red in their streets, and you speak of taxing them as we tax our own Romans?

Disgraceful. Taxes on these people should be as high as public order allows us in order to release the burden from Romans.

Praetor, seat yourself down you look in pain.
    We are now voting on Consul Ahenobarbus's motion and many people agree with it and so we cannot change it unless the tribune's veto it of course.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

"And so we should blame women for a crime they did not commit? We should punish children for the act of a government? And a tyrannical one at that? We should blame the people of Corfinium for a murder none of them had part in?

Pray tell, Scipio, how long should we punish these people for their "vile crimes"? Until the children of these children are grey? Until you find them sufficiently punished? Until the Corfinians rise up again? Tell me, Scipio, where I can find the code of laws concerning Corfinium's conduct in war? And if you could produce such a volume to me, who are we to judge over it?

Do not tell me the Corfinians need punishing! The Tarentines needed punishing, and they were let off with a decimation of their populace, as was Corfinium. You would consider a desperate act of war more deserving of punishment than the start of that same war, the war that cost hundreds, if not thousands of Roman lives besides the Consul?

You, Scipio, and you, senators, cannot conscientiously defend the punishment of Corfinium while agreeing not to punish Tarentum! You are hypocrites, looking for any excuse to squeeze out the new territories! You are vultures, for you prey on the weak, and on those in poor reputation! You are cowards!"
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

It seems you have misunderstood the law, senator Falco, as it will allow high taxation in ALL cities but Rome, Capua and Ancona, which are the cities that have been actual allies to us during all the war, and even before.

Also, about how long this will go, I had already proposed a motion to limit this different taxation. I will present it to you again, and if you agree with it, we could put it to work.

The tax differences in the new allied regions shall be kept for a period of 5 years after the implementation of Lex Domitia de (Taxes). After that period a modification of the taxes will be considered.
    Last edited by Ozy; February 19, 2009 at 06:20 PM.