Thread: Celtic Christianity and Franks

Default Celtic Christianity and Franks

I was wondering about something. In my current installation, Celtic Christianity would appear to be a 4th religion implemented into the Total War Engine. Wouldn't it be easier to replace the original Pagan religion with Celtic Christianity, so that a player of the Briton factions could switch between Roman and Celtic Christianity much like you could switch between Pagan and Roman in standard Barbarian Invasion? The Zoroastrians could then be reimplemented as the pagan religion of the Picts and Germanic factions.

On the topic of the Germanic Factions, I feel that it would be more historically accurate to retain the Franks as a separate faction, and hand Yns Mon either to its neighbours or establish it as a rebel faction. While Yns Mon was indeed independent, the native kings were never themselves able to parlay their moral power into actual power far from their isles' shores. Perhaps a defensive and management bonus could be given to a conquering general who becomes governor, and the locals could have their desire to rebel artificially increased through a local building that takes 20 from public order?

I know that these are probably vacant ideas, since everyone is busy and I don't have the skills to mod them myself, but I felt better for sharing them.

Default Re: Celtic Christianity and Franks

Ideas are always worth sharing !

As far as I see, Celtic Christianity was intended to take over from Zoroastrianism in the game, but Traits and Ancillaries didn't quite have the focus that the more important parts of the mod ( units. buildings, balance ) received.

I think the ATW team feel the same way about including the Franks in a future release, but not at the expense of Ynis Manaw.

I enjoy playing Ynis Manaw as it has an unique Gaelic/Briton mix. I find Gaelic infantry much more flexible and fun than Briton....I love the Gaelic general unit as infantry as well.

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

Both issues were spoke about months ago from now. We finally thought about the removal of celtic christianity, with having those 3 religions: christianity, germanic and celtic paganisms.

There were also plans for a 0.8 version to replace several factions, including Franks, at the expense of some more minor factions such as Elmet or Ynis Manaw. I can go further and give you the list! Yet I doubt this will ever see the light now.
    - Elmet replaced by Franks
    - Dal Riada replaced by Laigin
    - Gwent replaced by the Dobunni
    - Ynis Manaw replaced by Regnum Suessonium (Syagrius romano-gallic kingdom).

NO!!! Please don't ever get rid of my precious Dal Riada!!!

Here is the price of freedom: Your every drop of courage, ounce of pain, pint of blood,...paid in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Agraes View Post
    Yet I doubt this will ever see the light now.
    Don't worry, Aliksander, it seems Dal Riada will stay... but these are bad news

Apparently, I am no longer a "Yeoman", which was quite a good term, but now a "Drummer and Fifier" ( sic ).

I'm pretty sure they mean "Drummer and Fifer", but it isn't really so good

As regards ATW, I have a couple of files to upload, one of which people have been wanting for ages.

As for the future, I would love to continue with it, but I think that the team has other (non-RTW ) interests pulling them away. Understandable, but sad for the rest of us...

Hi Nicodemus! What are the files you have to upload (if you can say it, of course )? My curiosity rises...

Quote Originally Posted by Cathar1209 View Post
    Don't worry, Aliksander, it seems Dal Riada will stay... but these are bad news
    Oh don't get me wrong I would love to see more development to this mod as it is about my favorite one for Barbarian Invasion. It's just the loss of Dal Raida would make me curl into a ball in the corner of the room and cry.

Here is the price of freedom: Your every drop of courage, ounce of pain, pint of blood,...paid in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliksander View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong I would love to see more development to this mod as it is about my favorite one for Barbarian Invasion. It's just the loss of Dal Raida would make me curl into a ball in the corner of the room and cry.
    Yeah, i know; just was pointing out Agraes' post...