Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannibalism

Last night watching THE 13TH WARRIOR starring Antonio Banderas with my girlfriend. In this movie, for those who did not see it, the subject of cannibalism is lightly touched upon (the primitive men who were assaulting a Viking villiage were taking and ... ahem ... devouring some human sacrifices).

Anyway, to make a short story long, girlfriend and I began to discuss the topic at length. We went over the subject of prion diseases, the Mad Cow epidemic in England, recent studies which have shown many of us may have had cannibalsm in our prehistoric lineages (and subsequent genetic resistance to prion diseases), etc. We work our way around to the topic of Papua New Guinea where the inhabitants of a particular village were dying of an alarming disease at an even more alarming rate. Most if the victims were women and children. See the following link and view the video about Kuru for the full story:

http://home.sandiego.edu/~scare/background.htm

On to the point of this post....

Girlfriend and I speculated how a culture (in this case a culture the size of a small New Guinean village) which apparently had no history of caanibalism could suddenly adopt it as an institution. Apparently when a group begins eating their own kind, their offspring begin to show symptoms of these prion diseases roughly 200 years later (not sure of the time frame for other species). So this is not some ritual which started in the pre-historic Pacific and lasted up through the ages. No group would survive that long. Instead, these New Guineans began their ritual in the ninteenth century and began dying aroudn 1950 when western researchers found them and put a stop to it.

Needless to say as I read these stories I became aghast. What, I wondered, could cause a group of people to do such a thing? In the case of the Donner party it was a choice of that or starvation, so one can begin to understand them (the same with the Bolivian soccer team). In the case of miscellaneous killers and psycopaths the excuse is insanity, of course. We are not talking about any of that. We are talking about primitive groups liked the Kuru in Papua New Guinea. Their excuse was they did it to honor their dead (only recently dead relatives were ingested). I don't buy any of that. No culture, large or small, wakes up one day out of the blue and says "Hey, let's eat grandma after she kicks it!" Any normal person from any culture in any time frame, I believe, looks upon cannibalism as a shocking and disgusting practice. My girlfriend and I theorize that recent volcanic activity, perhaps nearby Krakatoa, had ruined the whatever food supplies these Kuru natives enjoyed. Tribes from the lowlands and coastal areas could get food from the ocean. But these Kurus, isolated in the New Guinean highlands, perhaps faced starvation during the worst years of whatever disaster had befallen them. People begin to die of starvation and the only alternative they felt they had was to supplement the lack of protein in their diets with human flesh --- more precisely, the flesh of recently deceased family and friends. Perhaps the next generation, seeing this as a readily available food source, continued the practice, though they certainly did not give up hunting and gathering, and to ease their guilty consciences they attached some quasi-religious, symbolic meaning to their perversions and said "It is meant to honor the dead among us."

In any case, some may argue with my ideas and maintain cultures can suddenly become cannibalistic. I am not, afterall, an anthropologist. However I would ask for the opinions of those more educated in these matters. I am considerably perplexed. I cannot begin to imagine, aside from the above mentioned incidents of starvation, how a group of people can adopt such a revolting practice. Any ideas?

MQA

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Anyone remember that German cannibal? Apparently he mentioned that there were hundreds of other people like him in Germany alone.

However, your question is difficult to answer. There's always the possibility of their crops failing and cattle dying out so that they're forced to find something to eat. In this case, one another.

I guess sometimes the sheer will to survive, or for that matter to see a loved one survive will make someone do it. For example, at the siege of Leningrad in 1942 many people resorted to it to save themselves or their children. However some of them became deranged and preyed on others. It got so bad that Red Army soldiers were told never to walk the streets alone because they were better fed than the civilians were and were therefore more likely to be attacked by a desperate civilian, gun or no.

During the famine in the Ukraine (1932-33) caused by that rat faced stalin, Ukrainians were dying at the rate of 25,000 per day! some people resorted to stealing baby kids and eating them simply because they was nothing else, literally.

If bad comes to worse, you gotta do what you gotta do. If feasting on human flesh is the only way to survive then so be it. I know I will be ready. *wink*

Crandar's Avatar Civitate

One very important thing to remember is that all Prion diseases such as Mad Cow Disease (BSE), Scrappie, TME, and Kreutzfeld-Jakob have been traced to the consumption of infected BASAL NERVE TISSUE. This means you basically have to eat spinal cord, optic nerve, or brain tissue to engage the transmission link.

Cannibalism is a bigger umbrella issue that deals with the consuming flesh fro members of ones own species.

In the case of Kuru and other ritualized things we would view as wierd, the practioners consume the brain tissue of a deceased relative or enemy to inherit of immortalize the soul of the deceased. If the tribe members would cannibalise the flesh of the victim but leave the nerve tissue there would be no transmission.

One reason the BSE and cannibalism issue is so misunderstood was the endemic nature of BSE in countries like the UK due to the practice of feeding rendered bovine bone and nerve tissue back into the cattle production food chain for many years after the prevailing science had recognized this practice to be part of the transmission cycle and after a number of countries had already enacted feed bans on the practice of recycling same species tissue back into the food chain.

Although we ethically abhore the consumption of human flesh there is no scientific link between any long term neural disease effects and the consumption of any type of mammalian animal flesh same species or otherwise.
    Letter of Marque granted from: Siblesz (Oh noble master!)
    Honored Patron of: Invoker47, Epistolary Richard, Simetrical, and Brodiseus

Animis opibusque parati et animus facit nobilem!

Originally posted by Rand Al Thor@Apr 11 2005, 10:50 PM
    If bad comes to worse, you gotta do what you gotta do. If feasting on human flesh is the only way to survive then so be it. I know I will be ready. *wink*
    If she happens to resemble someone like the one in your sig, I sure wouldn't mind eating her :grin

Just stick with the Koran's list of permitted foodstuffs, and you'll be fine.
    Back to play MTW2...

Although we ethically abhore the consumption of human flesh there is no scientific link between any long term neural disease effects and the consumption of any type of mammalian animal flesh same species or otherwise.
    The link I provided discusses this issue. The men of the tribe at the "good parts", i.e. meat, while the women and children were left the more undesirable organs which included brain. Hence the women and children were the ones falling ill. It seems however these facts would put an end to the argument that these diseases are nature's way of keeping species from eating their own kind, as eating your own kind is perfectly healthy so long as you know what to stay away from.

I am somewhat confused about the link of "own species". One could die from eating infected tissue of ANY species, not just their own. But the disease is somehow perpetuated by the cannibalistic consuption of brain tissue, etc within your own species. Is it safe to say then that the long-term consumption of brain, spinal chord, optic nerve tissue etc. of ANOTHER species will never cause a problem? Where is the link to cannibalistic consumption?

MQA

Yes Cicero, I admired his sig quite a bit myself. :blink

MQA

mmm there was a convict who was shipped to australia to serve his sentence for stealing shoes, he escaped with several other convicts and the three leaders had a meeting( they had no food) and killed one of the members for meat, shortly after that the shoe stealer guy killed five of them off and ate them, two went missing and were never seen again. when he was captured he admitted to the cannibalising of the five victims but they didnt believe him and he want sent back to prison.

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

I saw a report on BBC just a few days ago from Congo, where the violence has seen an increase. They interviewed a woman, who said that she and two other women and their husbands were taken prisoner by some rival tribe/clan, and that their husbands were killed, cut into pieces, and cooked. Then the captors asked the women to come and eat with them.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

mm i heard something like that quite a while ago, apperantly a new reporter and a tribe had just won a battle and they had this wierd cannaballistic custom, im not sure what it was but it wasnt pretty

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

Default Re: Cannibalism

wow this thread has one hear..
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Bokks's Avatar Thinking outside Myself

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero2 View Post
    During the famine in the Ukraine (1932-33) caused by that rat faced stalin, Ukrainians were dying at the rate of 25,000 per day! some people resorted to stealing baby kids and eating them simply because they was nothing else, literally.
    Wow, I've never heard of that! That's just another page to add to Stalins resume, I guess...

Anyway, as far as Papua New Guinea goes, as far as I know they had always practiced cannibalism, not only due to the fact that they--like many other cultures that practiced this--saw it as transfering the strength of your enemy to you, they also believed that their gods demanded a certain amount of head hunting/cannibalism. We watched a movie on it for an anthropology class last year, and there were old shrines that they had that the Germans destroyed due to the cannibalism rituals associated with them.

And @ Octy, do you mean the German guy from the 1300's? I can't remember his name!
    Thanks, now that's gonna bug me!
    Patronized by Vɛrbalcartɷnist|Great-Great-Grandclient of Crandar
    Thinking Outside the Bokks since 2008...

I've always got a bag of chips on hand. If all else fails, I'll just eat my own turds.

Bokks's Avatar Thinking outside Myself

Quote Originally Posted by Ó Cathasaigh View Post
    I've always got a bag of chips on hand. If all else fails, I'll just eat my own turds.
    yummy.
    Actually, since it's already digested it's probably wouldn't do that much for you. And as far as the taste goes...

I do know that drinking your own urine for two weeks will do some really nasty stuff to you, eating your own feces probably does a similar... nasty thing...

Besides, people is delicious!

And this is in my travels of looking up cannibals.
    Patronized by Vɛrbalcartɷnist|Great-Great-Grandclient of Crandar
    Thinking Outside the Bokks since 2008...

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

I would not eat human meat - not because moral issue, but simply modern human lack all the exercise and their meat contain too much fat.

I don't want to eat meat that contain too much oil...

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

if i didn't post my post...

this thread would be in the deep twcenter..
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

zombies?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast