Thread: Not Able to Save my Game.

Artetius's Avatar Tiro

Default Not Able to Save my Game.

I have noticed when I was playing Batrica and Numidia, I couldn't save my game. Basically the Load and Save Buttons on the Option Menu are Greyed out... and it is annoying considering I had spent hours on both campaigns. I tested most of the Factions and the problem presist there.

Anyone have a clue what may be wrong?

"The need for sleep is a flaw in your nature. Only inefficient creatures need to be unconscious half their lives."

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Default Re: Not Able to Save my Game.

You've quit your campaign, back to the main menu, then loaded a save game or started another campaign. When you quit back to the main menu, you need to exit the game altogether.

Artetius's Avatar Tiro

I have restarted the game & my computer already. I even read this thread before posting this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=183426

Which doesn't seem to be working. Unless I am doing something wrong.

I was alt-tabbing out of the game about three hours ago and when I went to go back into it, the game went nuts and I had to manually shut it off through Task Manager. I am hoping that isn't what caused the problem.

"The need for sleep is a flaw in your nature. Only inefficient creatures need to be unconscious half their lives."

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Did you install anything (e.g. the music remix mod)?

Artetius's Avatar Tiro

Nope. Just the Rome Total War Gold Edition (fully upgraded) from Direct2Drive & ExRM. To add onto the previous sentence, I just recently did a fresh install two days ago to install ExRM. RTR does have some problems when I install it (I think it always has). For example, sometimes when you alt-tab out of it and come back in, it will:

• Go ahead and list all the events in the game at once... so you end up having this huge tower of event blocks on the left of your screen.
    • Crash the Game after an alt tab.
    • Start blinking like it is having issues switching from the game to the desktop and from there you have to manually shut it off.

I use Vista if that helps.
    Last edited by Artetius; February 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM.

Artetius's Avatar Tiro

Although crude and serving absolutely no diagnostic importance, I solved the issue by reinstalling ExRM.

Here are some intresting events I think I should cite.

Before the Reinstall:

On the Main Menu, Continue Campaign was Gray/Not Available. This was because I deleted my saved games thinking that they may have been the problem. I literally didn't have any games in my saved folder.

After the Reinstall:

Although I had literally wiped the ExRM Folder out of my directory before I reinstalled it, I restarted the game and low and behold... the last campaign I played before the game crashed and my problems started to occur was there in the form of an Autosave.

How could the game have been stuck in a session for over 8 hours? Only to show up again after I uninstalled ExRM, restarted my computer, and then reinstalled ExRM?

You deleted all save games, but, though the autosave is located in the same place, did you also deleted it? ( can one delete autosave at all? i never tried it myself )

Artetius's Avatar Tiro

Yes, I deleted the Autosave for sure. I remember refreshing to make sure it was gone in both the temp and perm directory.

Either way it is fixed now and I can continue my Armenian Campaign... marching across the world with my 8 East Heavy Infantry (Front Core Phalanx), 4 Cyrric Spearmen previously known as Hillmen(Phalanx Flank Support), 2 Cataphract (Heavy Cavalry, Spearmen Flank Support & Mounted Archers), 4 Armenian Archers (located behind Phalanx Line), 3 Cyrric Slingers (located infront of Phalanx line for skirmishing and then retreated back behind archers for prolonged battle), and my Lowly General standing behind all the Soldiers boosting morale. Yep, that's my non-original Armenian (or in fact any faction with a Phalanx) war machine.

You may want to try a cavalry army, based on 4-6 armenian horce archers, 1-2 generals/kataphrakts - using them properly, you should be able to annihilate most of enemy armies and your generals would gain command stars and other usefull traits in no time

Artetius's Avatar Tiro

Ironically I have been able to vanquish the Macedonians, Thracians, Pontus, Galatia, Parthia, and Bactria. Most of the Seleucid Core Cities (all of them around the Mediterranean) have been secured and I can hopefully wipe the Seleucid Empire Out in about 12 turns and Secure a connected, quarter of the map.

I have done that all in 83 turns with 2 sets of the armies I listed above. My 'mop up army', which was developed to clean up rebels and the battered enemy armies which had previously ran into my war machine and routed, consist of Armenian Horse Archers... As does the small but, effective, hit and run army I am currently terrorizing the Greeks with.

Overall I think that is fairly good for Huge Unit Size, and Hard/Very Hard on this Modification.

Separately, Why are there duplicate recruitable units in a lot of the factions? I just got around to getting a Huge Wall on one of my cities and now I have two different Peltast units, one cost about 30k to recruit. It's almost like the Chaeoloan Amiga or whatever on Epirus.
    Last edited by Artetius; February 13, 2009 at 03:08 PM.

Those expensive units are there as part of a fix to prevent a CTD during revolts when there are no barracks.

The AI must be able to recruit something else it crashes. I believe this was the function of peasants in RTW/BI
    Semi-Retired RTR Developer and Researcher
    Dont get into a fight if there is nothing to win

Artetius's Avatar Tiro

So the Chaeonian Agema are a buffer unit? I have played Epirus twice now and each time the Chaeonian Agema have been 33k. They aren't much better than the Epirote Agema.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

I'm glad it's working for you.

The Chaeonians are actually a different kind of unit. The regular agema are best in phalanx, whereas the Chaeonians function like hypaspists and can fight well on walls and on the flanks. And they're also one of those revolt CTD prevention units for the Epirotes.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.