Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 31/03/2010 - Raaka's NORSE Roster

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Default Re: 31/03/2010 - Raaka's NORSE Roster

Quote Originally Posted by TMSKILZ View Post
    Byz Guard, what type of MOD are you creating? Just curious.
    I mean a submod to change several rosters to reflect more historically the factions. The Late Roman Empire, the Crusader States and the Teutonic Order and some other. Here's the link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ight=BG+SUBMOD

Taiji: Sorry, English is not my native language and I didn't explain well when I mean by "just a modder", is that I'm not a selfish modder like some in TWC, I just want to make a submod that can give a new flavor to a mod and want to share with anyone. But anyway, I don't want to debate about it and I'll wait the PM from Raaska Thank you

Those are great units

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Wow! Very nice roster! I haven't played DLV for a very long time...but with these Norse I will give it a try again...
    +rep*

Slime's Avatar Miles

One lovely thing I only recently noticed in this roster - the units' looks change with armour upgrades! Wasn't expecting that one, excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by Slime View Post
    One lovely thing I only recently noticed in this roster - the units' looks change with armour upgrades! Wasn't expecting that one, excellent work.
    Which units change...? I haven't seen any of them looking different...at least not with padded, chain or heavy chainmail...

Slime's Avatar Miles

I can't think of an unit which does not change... most of the changes aren't huge, but compare the upgraded units to their unit cards, which have the original unit pictured. For example, padded Leidangr get some chainmail added to their helmets, Gestir get the same with heavy mail... what am I babbling, here's a picture comparison for leidangr:

No upgrades
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Padded

As you can see, it's very subtle and not all men in the unit get the change (at least low-quality ones).

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Upgraded bodyguards get a very nice coat of plates, but I think most units have upgrades. And yeah, we thought the Leidangr upgrade was stretching it a bit. In the end I decided to include it to help them compete a little better vs other militia.
    Last edited by Taiji; December 22, 2010 at 06:30 PM.

Wow, I didn't notice that! I will take a closer look at these sophisticated upgrades...
    ...meanwhile, I'm trying to launch a Norwegian crusade into the holy land...almost impossible...although I managed to participate in one crusade...called at Aarhus...my capital!

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

wow raaka, these units and the upgrades are truly amazing. wish that all factions could get the same attention

Is there any chance that you will make a version which is compatible with DLV 6.3? Because I don't really like the Battle-Ballance-Mod which includes your awesome work.

Artifex

Good work Raaka. Your units make fine generals too, here is one of the hird. I haven't tried DLV but happily imported most of your units into my Stainless Steel version (which isn't public, I should add).

Young:

Old:

The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    Good work Raaka. Your units make fine generals too, here is one of the hird. I haven't tried DLV but happily imported most of your units into my Stainless Steel version (which isn't public, I should add).

Young:

Old:

May I ask Master Raaka & Maltacus on converting these units to SS I'm unable to transfer the missile units, I play both DLV & SS however I'm not a Master Modder,never will be. But I would like to have the complete "Raaka's Norse Roster" for the SS mod. My I please request in the proper manor for Master Raaka to release a SS friendly add on. Pleeeeeeeeaasee

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ragnar View Post
    May I ask Master Raaka & Maltacus on converting these units to SS I'm unable to transfer the missile units, I play both DLV & SS however I'm not a Master Modder,never will be. But I would like to have the complete "Raaka's Norse Roster" for the SS mod. My I please request in the proper manor for Master Raaka to release a SS friendly add on. Pleeeeeeeeaasee
    I'm afraid you will need to better increase you modding knowledge. Raaka is no more on TWC and DLV does not allow sharing their features to SS but you can add them by your own. Check at the mod workshop, there's several tutorials for exporting models to your folder.

Artifex

I was able to add the fur-clad archers (veidimenn), if I recall correctly I had to use the animation from norse archers (which they were meant to replace in any case) in the export_descr_units entry. That created an archer which swings a two-handed axe in one hand with ease. Fear the might of the Norwegians!

Those crossbowmen looks like they are using a bowstring animation when firing. That kind of animation is not in SS, at least not in the RR/RC submod version I use. Adding animations is very advanced modding, goes beyond my skill, sadly. A SS-compatible version will have to resolve this, which may take some time.
    Last edited by Maltacus; June 03, 2011 at 04:00 AM.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).

Quote Originally Posted by St. Polycarpe View Post
    I'm afraid you will need to better increase you modding knowledge. Raaka is no more on TWC and DLV does not allow sharing their features to SS but you can add them by your own. Check at the mod workshop, there's several tutorials for exporting models to your folder.
    Thankyou Master St.Polycarpe. I was afraid you were going to say that. Politics, be it correct or not is at times a chain around the modding worlds kneck.To have such a bountiful amount of creative minds in one area,and not to be able to communicate on a level as "for the good of the game" is a shame. Again i thankyou for you kind words and off to the workshop I go.

I was able to add the fur-clad archers (veidimenn), if I recall correctly I had to use the animation from norse archers (which they were meant to replace in any case) in the export_descr_units entry. That created an archer which swings a two-handed axe in one hand with ease. Fear the might of the Norwegians!

Those crossbowmen looks like they are using a bowstring animation when firing. That kind of animation is not in SS, at least not in the RR/RC submod version I use. Adding animations is very advanced modding, goes beyond my skill, sadly. A SS-compatible version will have to resolve this, which may take some time.
    Master Maltacus,That is the unit I most want to swap,and the norse archers is the one to be replaced.So from the modeldb file and edu file I guess Im gonna have to learn a bit bore.Thanks againf for your time.

Artifex

No problem. Here is an example EDU entry (with the stat entries edited out) for norse archers using the norse_archer animation (common no-bowstring archer with one-handed secondary weapon) as seen in the "soldier" entry.

The other important entry is the "armour_ug_models" where Raakas Veidimenn models are added, telling the game that those are to be used instead of the old norse_archers model.

This works flawlessly for me, who am using a very customized SS RR/RC version. I think it will be OK with later versions of SS as well, most new units there are more southern European.

Hope it will be of some help

type Norse Archers
    dictionary Norse_Archers ; Norse Archers, l
    category infantry
    class skirmish
    voice_type Light
    banner faction main_missile
    banner holy crusade
    soldier Norse_Archers, 80, 0, 0.85
    officer northern_captain_early_flag
    attributes sea_faring, hide_improved_forest, can_withdraw, foot_archers, hardy, stakes, mercenary_unit, free_upkeep_unit
    formation 1.4, 1.4, 1.8, 1.8, 3, square
    armour_ug_levels 0, 1
    armour_ug_models Veidimenn , Veidimenn
    ownership all; denmark, norway
    era 0 denmark, norway
    era 1 denmark, norway
    era 2 denmark, norway
    recruit_priority_offset 5
    Last edited by Maltacus; June 03, 2011 at 08:32 PM.

No problem. Here is an example EDU entry (with the stat entries edited out) for norse archers using the norse_archer animation (common no-bowstring archer with one-handed secondary weapon) as seen in the "soldier" entry.

The other important entry is the "armour_ug_models" where Raakas Veidimenn models are added, telling the game that those are to be used instead of the old norse_archers model.

This works flawlessly for me, who am using a very customized SS RR/RC version. I think it will be OK with later versions of SS as well, most new units there are more southern European.

Hope it will be of some help

type Norse Archers
    dictionary Norse_Archers ; Norse Archers, l
    category infantry
    class skirmish
    voice_type Light
    banner faction main_missile
    banner holy crusade
    soldier Norse_Archers, 80, 0, 0.85
    officer northern_captain_early_flag
    attributes sea_faring, hide_improved_forest, can_withdraw, foot_archers, hardy, stakes, mercenary_unit, free_upkeep_unit
    formation 1.4, 1.4, 1.8, 1.8, 3, square
    armour_ug_levels 0, 1
    armour_ug_models Veidimenn , Veidimenn
    ownership all; denmark, norway
    era 0 denmark, norway
    era 1 denmark, norway
    era 2 denmark, norway
    recruit_priority_offset 5
    Hi Master Maltacus. Thankyou for your insight soooo I'm using the "Norse Archers" in the EDU, and in named "Norse_Archers" in the EDB. However the "Veidimenn" skins an units are show in the battle screen. Have I got it right. Could I then re-name the "Norse archers" to "Veidimenn" along with UI cards etc,to complete the job. Yeah! thats sounds great, I await your advise. Oh,what about them "Fresir" units,can they be included/merged with another unit in SS. Very big respect.

Artifex

If I recall correctly the Frelsir works well with the Norse Axemen or any other two handed axeman unit. Changing unit names and cards is done just like with any other units, check the modding guides for that, there are some very good tutorials available.

Hellvard's Avatar Senator

Is anyone in contact with mr Raaka? Unfortunatelly he's absent on TWC for over a year, and I want to ask him for permission to use this glorious rooster in my mod.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast