Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 31/03/2010 - Raaka's NORSE Roster

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Update -Norse Roster Preview

BTW: Making the early leidang unit with shield wall and 1 javelin would be optimal

Will there be more then 1 armour?
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Leidang with shieldwall + javelin
    That's easily changed. Just wondering whether can makes the unit a bit overpowered as it is supposed to be the core unit however that can be easily countered by just reducing unit's spear attack value. Gestir has javelin + charge ability already.

I'd prefer making a separate unit for high/late period if you insist it still need to be called leidang just by renaming landevaernet to heavy leidang.

Regarding names:
    I'll dig up my info regarding norwegian nobles, I remember reading something like old titles like skutilveinr and kertilsveinr were used until late 1200s. The titles were swiched to ridder (skutilsveinr=knight) and småsvenner (kertilsveinr=squires) by one of your majestic dudes in his great wisdom. I agree that feudal/chivalric knights should be removed altogether and replaced with abovementioned classes.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Raaka View Post
    Leidang with shieldwall + javelin
    That's easily changed. Just wondering whether can makes the unit a bit overpowered as it is supposed to be the core unit however that can be easily countered by just reducing unit's spear attack value. Gestir has javelin + charge ability already.

I'd prefer making a separate unit for high/late period if you insist it still need to be called leidang just by renaming landevaernet to heavy leidang.

Regarding names:
    I'll dig up my info regarding norwegian nobles, I remember reading something like old titles like skutilveinr and kertilsveinr were used until late 1200s. The titles were swiched to ridder (skutilsveinr=knight) and småsvenner (kertilsveinr=squires) by one of your majestic dudes in his great wisdom. I agree that feudal/chivalric knights should be removed altogether and replaced with abovementioned classes.
    You are entierly right about Skutilsveiner and ridder.

Proior to game start:

the Hird:
    1. The Hirdleaders(Norse:Hirðtiorar) the aristocrat and kings table:
      1. Jarls(counclor)
      2. "Lendmenn" . The district ruler and part of the Hird Leaders aka. The Kings Table.
      3. The Dróttseti (The Seneschal/general-in-chief)
      4. The Stalleri (The Marshall)
      5. The Merkisman (Standar-bearer)
      6. The Skenkjari (Butler/Stweard of the table servants)
        1. "Hirdmenn" the largest group identical to men-at-arms. Not part of the councill, but could sit on the Kings table.
    2. Worrior branch and table servents of the Kings table:
      1. Skutilsveinr, worrior sons of Lendmenn. Unlike Men at arms, Skutilsveinr could evolve to Hirdleaders.
        • Kjertilsveinr (untrained worriors, squirs)
    3. Gjester, including
      • Spys and assassin agents
      • Enforcers and errenboys for the Kings table
      • Local police force
    Its unsirtent if the Houscarls were the Lendmenn's local hird, or if they were outside the hird.

1277 and Magnus Lagabøtes (Magnus the Lawmaker), the hird was devided into into 3 corporations:

Hird:
    1. Herre (Lord) or Herrer (Lords):
      • Barons (renamed from Lendmenn)
        • Gestir work under the Barons and the king, not recognized as a independent department)
      • Ridere (Knights, worrior elite. Renamed from Skutilsveinr)
    2. Hirdmen (Men-at-arms)
    3. Småsman (untrained worriors, squirs. Renamed from Kjertilsveiner, I don't know, but I have no reason to doubt )
    Haakon 5 Magnussons 1308
    Herre gradualy de facto renamed from the Hird, became more destinct and european like titles and banner flags:

Herrer:
    1. Ridder (1knight) Riddere (Knights, The normal equivilance of european fuedal Noble landowners)
      • Småsvenner ("Little squires". Renamed from Kjertilsveiner. I don't know this, but I have no reason to doubt your sources)
    2. Væpner (1 Men-at-arm) Væpnere (Men at arms)
    Quick facts:
    • Lendmenn/Baron title is abolished in 14 century.
    • Riddari = Horsemen in the Norse lanuage.
    • Last Hird meeting 1452, but the "Hird"-organ is gone in the 14century.
    Link: http://lokalhistoriewiki.no/index.php/Leksikon:Adel (local history)
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.

This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

This submod had been released or not? If yes where is the link?
    Thanks

Norse roster has not been released yet. It has gone through some changes and been taking more time than expected.

I'm done working on the models and trying to find time to wrap up things properly.

Senator
    In the icey lands of Norway... which aren't actually icey... more like rainy.

Good God... this is really impressive stuff, man. Can't believe I haven't seen it before.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Exelent work on the roster!
    May i make a small sugestion if you allow me?
    Use Lord_Calidor's weapon pack.
    Your exelent units will look much ,much better!
    See some pics of his weapons
    simple spears
    http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6...2scaledbk5.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5301/96120810.jpg

axes and others
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...89#post3937689
    His package includes a huge variety of european weaponry also!
    If you will use his weapons do not forget to give him the proper credits.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Thanks, I have improved the weapons already so I am sticking to those in case unless I get huge complaints for the new improved looks.

Raaka
    if u need any help with coding ask
    Under the patronage of Nakharar
    DM Multi modding project

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Exelent work on the roster!
    May i make a small sugestion if you allow me?
    Use Lord_Calidor's weapon pack.
    Your exelent units will look much ,much better!
    See some pics of his weapons
    simple spears
    http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6...2scaledbk5.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5301/96120810.jpg

axes and others

His package includes a huge variety of european weaponry also!
    If you will use his weapons do not forget to give him the proper credits.
    That axe looks bloody sweet, but whait til you see what's in the NEW axe on the block. They are so historical correct that your teacher will have wet dreams, and the quality and uniqueness of each unit will hack this faction in as your favourite.
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; March 31, 2010 at 05:12 PM.

Default Re: 31/02/2010 - Raaka's NORSE Roster

Updated and finally RELEASED! Details on the first page.

Cheers,
    'R

Default Re: 31/03/2010 - Raaka's NORSE Roster

Very nice, thank's for the hard work .

Under the benevolent guidance of jimkatalanos

Agis Tournas's Avatar ★ Modder-at-Arms ★

Default Re: 31/02/2010 - Raaka's NORSE Roster

Quote Originally Posted by Raaka View Post
    Updated and finally RELEASED! Details on the first page.
    Cheers,
    'R
    Congratulations mate
    Very well done (+rep)
    Agis
    A mini-mod is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!

Son of Agisilaos / Grandson of jimkatalanos / Great-grandson of Garbarsardar

Terribly excellent work! I shall install Taiji's new BB with your incredible roster on Saturday (after a whole week of total DLV+BB starvation). Look forward to meeting a new army on the coast of York in my new campaign.

Rock on! Raaka!

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Great stuff!

Now this is just awesome. I really love the new units. +rep for you.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Raaka, you've made Norway into one of the best factions in DLV, awesome work

awesome work +rep
    Under the patronage of Nakharar
    DM Multi modding project

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Awesome work, mate!
    Do you give permission your work to be used in other mods outside DLV, with proper credits?

Plz plz plz, we need them for SS.

Edit: For Stormenn, it says they use a sword, then it says they use an axe. For Riddere, it says they use a sword, then it says they use a mace. Which is it?
    Last edited by k/t; April 16, 2010 at 03:06 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast