Thread: Horror Movies (Night Watch must see trailer)

What's the deal with horror movies lately?? They're everywhere! And they just keep coming too:

Check it out, Night Watch (billed as "The First Chapter in an Epic Horror Trilogy").

Gotta say, the trailer looks pretty damn cool. Looks more like Matrix meats Underworld Action Movie than horror, but definitely has some engaging looking visuals and universe, and definitely going for that "Epic" thing.

Most interestingly, it's Russian! So, no recognizable actors, and a big budget sci-fi action spectacle that's completely outside of the Hollywood sphere. I'm suddenly getting very excited about this movie!

Also, anyone seen any of the recent horror crop that just came by: Ring 2, Cursed, The Jacket (this actually looked decent), Hide & Seek. Didn't see any of these, and I know there's been quite a few others I didn't mention. Amytiville Horror due out this weekend too.

I think with all the horror films in the last few years it's safe to say there's been something of a fad. Too bad most of them sucked. Although, 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead remake were both awesome. The first Ring was also awesome.

It'd be nice if the Amytiville remake turns out good as the first one is one of the scariest movies ever and the true story behind the movie is quite disturbing and raises many interesting questions about the reality of poltergeists etc. I just don't know if I can take the actor that plays the Dad seriously. Frickin Van Wilder lol!
    All the world is but a stage,
    and though all in it merely players,
    they play with such a violent rage,
    as to send it running red with portent.

sign here please: Orolinwe

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Concerning Night Watch, just exactly how scary do you think it looks? I'm not an expert on horror movies and I don't want to go see and get freaked out too much.

Originally posted by Octavian@Apr 11 2005, 09:52 PM
    Concerning Night Watch, just exactly how scary do you think it looks? I'm not an expert on horror movies and I don't want to go see and get freaked out too much.
    Not that scary at all. He described just as I thought--Underworld meets The Matrix. I'd really love to see Europe's (and Russia's) film industry get back on its feet, but I doubt movies like this are going to establish it.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

IMO the European industry is already on its feet. I prefer arthouse films with English subtitles to an action packed film with explosions and no plot. The only good thing so far to come out of America is 'The Life Aquatic'.

Anyhow, might see it when it comes out on DVD.

what is amitly ville horror? me and my friends were dscusing it and we coullnt believe what the hell the story was about even though we didnt know lol, dawn of the dead was awsome but it needed a better ending, they shoulda had more guns aswell lol.

ximan's Avatar Domesticus

Ah, this is kind of sad, how Europe's cinema has so Hollywoodized. Russian cinema used to be some of the best of all time, and it looks like it starting to come under influence now. I can't really comment too much, but the trailer is just so americanized. Hopefully, the film will be better than what the previews show. The concept is interesting, but it looks to be too fx and violence driven, which really doesn't make a good film, especially Horror.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."

http://www.apollocinema.net.tc/

ximan = pronounced "zee-man"

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Damn I was worried there.
    I thought they were gonna make another remake of the danish movie Nightwatch.

As far as 28 Days Later goes, everytime I watch that movie I love it more and more. When it was released it was billed as "scary as hell"...which it wasnt, but it's still a damn good flick. It sort of restylized the whole Zombie genre in a way.

Notice how the Dawn of the Dead remake used 'fast' zombies only after 28 Days Later did it first. I'm a huge fan of Romero's zombie films so I still love the original more than the remake, but the remake surprised me, it was a LOT better than I was expecting. Btw, anyone heard anything about Romero's new zombie flick Land of the dead?

Edit: I found a cast list at least, still says in production though. It's cool he still uses Tom Savini heh.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418819/

"And I have felt the sudden blow of a nameless wind's cold breath,
    And watched the grisly pilgrims go that walk the roads of Death,
    And I have seen black valleys gape, abysses in the gloom,
    And I have fought the deathless Ape that guards the Doors of Doom."
    -Robert E. Howard "Recompense"

Crandar's Avatar Civitate

The sidetracking discussion about which country has the best movie industry and best movie directors has been relaocted to the Political Mudpit here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index...howtopic=27673

This discussion topic is about Horror Movies or the one example of the new Russian made horror movie titled "Night Watch"
    Letter of Marque granted from: Siblesz (Oh noble master!)
    Honored Patron of: Invoker47, Epistolary Richard, Simetrical, and Brodiseus

Animis opibusque parati et animus facit nobilem!

The Amityville Horror is based on a supposed "true story." There have already been like 7 Amityville movies, made in the late 70s through the 80s. The first movie is good in that 70s way and quite spooky in parts. The second movie is also pretty scary, but after that the movies become extremely lousy.

This newest movie is simply a remake/reimagining of the story. It's still being claimed as being a true story, and it is without a doubt true that a son who lived in that house shot and killed his entire family. During the trial, he claimed that a "presence" or "demon" in the house took control of him and made him do it, etc.

The story of the movie is the next family that moves into the house. They move out/ leave the house 28 days after moving in because it was haunted and all kinds of freaky things happened to them. After this it became a big deal at the time. A husband and wife team who were paranormal investigators went to the house and held a seance and filmed it etc. It was on the news, they did talk shows, the book came out. It became world famous.

But then some other people started investigating and found that the whole thing was a hoax. At least, that's the general view held today by most poeple who actually have studied what happened in detail. There are still some people who claim the house was haunted.

Here's a great story about the whole thing: http://www.prairieghosts.com/amityville.html
    All the world is but a stage,
    and though all in it merely players,
    they play with such a violent rage,
    as to send it running red with portent.

sign here please: Orolinwe