Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Facial hair in Empire Total War

Default Facial hair in Empire Total War

wasn't facial hair rare until the middle of the 1800s?

if you look at many paintings from that time (britain etc) i can't see much facial hair...
    to catch a fish,so juicy sweeeeeet

Default Re: facial hair in empire total war

yeah people before 1750 didnt have facial hair at all. humans mutated after 1750 to get it

count on Ottoman facial hair

mustajes

Quote Originally Posted by [Grognard]_Arjan View Post
    yeah people before 1750 didnt have facial hair at all. humans mutated after 1750 to get it
    i mean like beards and moustaches. you see them all over the place in this game (RTI) yet, i have never seen soldiers from the revolt with moustaches or beards in paintings or anything, really. i don't know, seems a bit odd to me.

Hmmm, haven't we been around here before?

The British armed forces were clean shaven until our dear foreign monarchs (Victoria and Albert) forced facial fuzz on us. Trully the long road to end of Empire started with those two sanctimonious buffoons.

The operative word above is "clean".

British, and any other other clean shaven troops (Dutch?), should get a significant morale boost simply for the comedy factor of gazzing at their facially befuzzed enemies. Not a question of "Wait till you see the whites of their eyes" and more one of "wait till you see their Chewbacca impressions"

If you want a slightly more wry look at facial hair and the British Empire go here.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Provocateur View Post
    Hmmm, haven't we been around here before?

The British armed forces were clean shaven until our dear foreign monarchs (Victoria and Albert) forced facial fuzz on us. Trully the long road to end of Empire started with those two sanctimonious buffoons.

The operative word above is "clean".

British, and any other other clean shaven troops (Dutch?), should get a significant morale boost simply for the comedy factor of gazzing at their facially befuzzed enemies. Not a question of "Wait till you see the whites of their eyes" and more one of "wait till you see their Chewbacca impressions"
    don't the british soldiers in the RTI campaign have moustaches and beards?( i am positive the officers do) a tad unrealistic

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    If you want a slightly more wry look at facial hair and the British Empire go here.
    Well ther eyou go - bloody Victorian prigs! But i think your thesis is wrong sir. By the time moustaches were forced upon the Brits the Empire was already in exsistence and moustaches actually set it in decline.
    Last edited by Agent Provocateur; February 13, 2009 at 06:09 AM.

what about BEFORE victoria? the moustaches and facial hair is still present (game ends 1800( realism?

Yorkshireman's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Thats the first time I've seen that thread. Classic.

I know that facial hair is a subject of fun for a lot of us here in the forum, because beards and moustaches can, frankly, look pretty silly, and its often put in the same box as complaints like "they haven't put the right regimental number stamps on the coat buttons; everyone boycott the game!!!"....
    ...But, it is for me an issue that while small, does manage to throw off the "look" of a soldier out of all proportion with its apparent importance. 18th Century British soldiers simply do not look right with moustaches; I can't think of an example of one depicted. I'm not saying its completely impossible, but I haven't seen it, apart from perhaps some infantry fighting in North America, but the witness thought it very unusual which is why he noted it in the first place.
    It works the other way around too; Prussian Hussars don't look right without their moustaches (except perhaps some officers and trumpeters). Facial hair was just as much a part of a soldier's uniform as much as his coat, and in most instances it was strictly regulated, perhaps more so than in other periods.

Think of it in terms of American GIs hitting Omaha Beach in 1944, or First Century Roman Legionaries, all with full beards, and you get a better picture of how incongruous it can look.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Provocateur View Post
    Well ther eyou go - bloody Victorian prigs! But i think your thesis is wrong sir. By the time moustaches were forced upon the Brits the Empire was already in exsistence and moustaches actually set it in decline.
    My theory was widely discredited in academia. Killjoys.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by clibinarium View Post
    I know that facial hair is a subject of fun for a lot of us here in the forum, because beards and moustaches can, frankly, look pretty silly, and its often put in the same box as complaints like "they haven't put the right regimental number stamps on the coat buttons; everyone boycott the game!!!"....
    ...But, it is for me an issue that while small, does manage to throw off the "look" of a soldier out of all proportion with its apparent importance. 18th Century British soldiers simply do not look right with moustaches; I can't think of an example of one depicted. I'm not saying its completely impossible, but I haven't seen it, apart from perhaps some infantry fighting in North America, but the witness thought it very unusual which is why he noted it in the first place.
    It works the other way around too; Prussian Hussars don't look right without their moustaches (except perhaps some officers and trumpeters). Facial hair was just as much a part of a soldier's uniform as much as his coat, and in most instances it was strictly regulated, perhaps more so than in other periods.

Think of it in terms of American GIs hitting Omaha Beach in 1944, or First Century Roman Legionaries, all with full beards, and you get a better picture of how incongruous it can look.
    All joking aside, good point. At the end of the day facial hair or lack thereof shouldn't be any harder to depict than any other element of the graphical aspect of our little TW men(?)

I have a nice beard and it's cool and sexy, I don't care what anyone sais!

I can imagine that troops on long campaigns without comfort could grow a faint beard really fast. But woodsmen beards are a bit exagerated aswel (and ugly).

Though I have no idea of the historical value of facial hair really O.o.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Totalwar462140 View Post
    wasn't facial hair rare until the middle of the 1800s?

if you look at many paintings from that time (britain etc) i can't see much facial hair...
    Are you serious?

NovaColonel's Avatar Miles

I have a beard, and my empire is just beginning to become more and more powerful...I already command a potted plant.
    My blog: http://novacolonel.blogspot.de/

Phenom I X4 @ 2.6 GHz - ATI Radeon X4870 1GB @ 800/1000 MHz - 4GB OCZ @ 667 MHz - Vista Home 64

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

I look foward to leading a army of rugged irishmen!

Quote Originally Posted by Eire_Emerald View Post
    Are you serious?
    He has a point for Britain. Facial hair was simply not the height of fashion in the UK. There are few illustrations of 'taches, let alone facial merkins.
    Last edited by Agent Provocateur; February 13, 2009 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eire_Emerald View Post
    Are you serious?
    find me a redcoat from 1700-1780 with a beard

personally, i think we should all rally round and use our uber l33tz skills to boycot Empire 'OMFG TOO LONGZ I AINT BUYING ing FATHER CHRISTMAS ARMY!!!'

too bad the boycott woud collaose on day of release
    Last edited by rageallday; February 13, 2009 at 08:57 AM.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Default Re: Facial hair in Empire Total War

You've gotta be kidding me. This is like complaining about canteen covers or belt buckles.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast