Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technical Support

I'm having a problem. And I don't really know who to go to about it, but since most of the people on this forum seem to be of above average intelligence, I figured I'd ask you guys first...I'm sorry that this is so off topic. If the moderators see fit to delete or move this post, I understand. I'm just in dire need of help...

Okay.
    System Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3300+ (2.4GHz)
    512MB PC3200 DDR RAM
    BFGTech Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT
    DirectX 9.0c

Problem:
    Certain games (FarCry, Universal Combat, SWAT 4, etc.) don't display properly. When I say that they don't display properly, I mean the screen goes insane when the game actually loads the graphics engine.

What I did to fix it (unsuccessfully):
    I ran dxdaig.exe and tested both DirectDraw and Direct3D. DirectDraw and Direct3D 7 ran fine, but Direct3D 8 and 9 didn't.
    I tracked this problem to my videocard drivers (Nvidia WinXP 7.1.8.4) When I had an older driver installed the DirectX tests ran just fine (though, oddly enough, the games still did not). I can't tell if the current Nvidia driver is at fault or...well...I can't really tell anything. I'm out of ideas...
    Certain games (Rome TW, Doom 3) run just fine. I would imagine, though, that this is beacuse they are DirectX 7.0 compatible and the system is automatically reverting to 7.0 to run them.

Any suggestions, tips, flames, et cetera would be welcome.
    "Counting bodies like sheep to the ryhtm of the war drums."

i have dif specs than u, and it doesnt do it on other games, but i had the EXACT same problem with far cry, and i dont know how to fix it either =/

Oh, and I just ran 3dMark '03 and none of the graphics card tests displayed properly. The CPU tests ran fine, though...
    I'm stumped.

Erathial's Avatar Civis

It's a graphic card problem mate. I have also experienced that with my 6800 Ultra, untill i found a driver that worked on all games i tried. Mate, try some different drivers and If lady luck smiles at you, It will help you.

Forgot that you might need to update the bios too. And while im at it, doe´s your motherboard support your graphics card?

Era

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

First, next time go to the "Basement". That's the tech section. Somebody with some authority move this puhleeeze. I don't have any cause no one likes me.... *tongue*

And yup, that's a driver issue...DirectDraw to be more exact. I have the same card you do, and the 71.xx drivers suck A** on it.
    I'll be willing to bet your card temps jumped 10C+ with those drivers too. (They're mainly for SLi users)

I haven't found a better driver so far than the new 76.44 drivers.

you can download them HERE

Give 'em a go and report back....

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Alright, I tried updating my drivers to 76.44 but I encountered the exact same problems I had with the 71.xx drivers. I updated my bios to 3.01 but that didn't really seem to do anything...and yeah, my MB is, to the best of my knowlege, compatible with my video card... This blows...

Man, that really sucks for you. Do you have another old card handy? Or a buddy that would be willing to loan you his for a few hours?

ummmm. also are you sure you have DirectX 9.0c installed?
    A lot of times it needs to be installed separately.

AND check the AGP aperture in the motherboard BIOS. Make sure it's set to match the amount of RAM on your graphics card...

And I just HAVE to ask...have you been overclocking at all?

here

Yes, it's directX 9.0c. Okay, I'll play with the BIOS, though I have little experience with it and it's kind of intimidating. And no, I don't overclock. Yet...

Incinerate_IV's Avatar Burn baby burn

You know what, I have the same problem with far cry, the game stutters like crazy.

The game also stutteres on RTW campaign map, but not the battle, But I know what cause that though, it was my mb driver, Probily not that compatible with my laptop, but it increase preformance on the battle by A LOT, so I really dont care.
    THE PC Hardware Buyers Guide
    Desktop PC: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.8 Ghz | Swiftech Apogee GT waterblock + MCP655 + 2 x 120mm rad | Biostar Tforce 965PT | G.Skill 4gb (2 x 2gb) DDR2-800 | Radeon HD 4870 512mb | 250GB + 160GB hard drive | Antec 900 | 22" Widescreen

No, that isn't a banana

have you tried running a driver cleaner first - and then use the new driver?

Driver Cleaner? I've never heard of a driver cleaner. Please enlighten me. :huh

No, that isn't a banana

its a program that wipes out old drivers - especially useful if you go from one brand of card to another. just do a google for it - or someone can provide a link for one. you always want to make sure when you install drivers, that you do not do it on top of previous ones - well maybe not always - but it helps for stability.

Thats odd, i have that EXACT same video card and NEVER have that problem.

I know the BFG cards are stock overclocked, you could try downclocking them and see if they work. I know i've overclocked and had visuals like that with my old video card.

try some of the downloads on this site, the driver cleaner is here as well. Its called NV cleaner and is under tools, i'd give an exact link but this site doesn't allow it. http://www.guru3d.com/nvhardpage/
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

I downloaded a utility, RivaTuner 2.0, and I've been playing with underclocking. I can get the memory clock speed down, but the core clock is completely unresponsive. It's hovering at 371.4MHz and won't move. Plus, I don't even know what acceptable settings would be...I'm seriously about to shoot the damned thing...

Man, I don't really know. I've had no problems from my BFG. Is your PSU big enough...you have an A64, of course it is. Have you tried a different power connector to the card. It should have it's own connector without a splitter.
    How long have you had the card?

here

Yeah, I wired it with it's own power connection. I've had the card for about three weeks...
    I'm thinking it could be the power supply...I put the card in an hp pavillion a810n and that ships with a 250W PSU, I think. I'm not really sure if that's enough, nor am I sure how to test whether or not it's enough...
    If the power supply wasn't big enough, would that cause what I'm seeing?

No, that isn't a banana

are you really using a 250W PSU to power your system, or is that a joke?

Let me double check that.

Yeah...250 Watts...
    That's a bad thing...
    You think that's what's causing the problem?
    If so, why would using different drivers make things marginally better/worse?

No, that isn't a banana

well for one, a generic 250W PSU is not a good thing. it defintely won't be enough to provide the necessary power. but, on the other hand, a lack of power often results in reboots, or CTDS - rather than the anomolies you are experiencing.
    i would definitely use a larger PSU - a decent 350-450W will cut it, as long as you don't have loads of periphreals (ie a boatload of fans, UV tubes, EL wire, etc...)

i would try a larger PSU - start a process of elimination - perhaps reformat your system as well to get rid of any O/S instabilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast