Thread: The Great Conflicts main discussion thread. Please post here!

Caudillo87's Avatar Semisalis

Nice, I can't wait to see more, of course I would like to see some more Romans but I'm a patient man...just don't make me wait too long.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; April 22, 2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: 2ble post

Default Re: The Great Conflicts main discussion thread. Please post here!

I have a question, it is in regards to the timeframe of 872-900, it's a question about armor, eastern roman armor to be exact. What did eastern roman infantry wear under their chainmail? I ask because I'm writing a fantasy story for my creative writing group and its set on a world similar to this time frame and I've been using the information provided by you guys to help me create the setting. So, what did they wear under chainmail? I know kavadion wasn't in use during the late 800's-early 900's, was it some sort of padded jack or some type of heavy shirt? Thanks

Dr. Jones's Avatar Tiro

Great little update, thank you!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Rampate-Cid and Neoptolemos working hard to finish the texts and the unit descriptions for the Pecheneg preview. Since Pechenegs were of Turkic origin (by the generic sence of the term) we are try to use names for their units to be a close as possible to them since there is no available sourse that described Pecheneg "units" or warriors. So please if you have some sourses please share them to us.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Comming soon!
    Definetly, I am going to be this guy.
    Thanks again everybody for the excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Rampate-Cid and Neoptolemos working hard to finish the texts and the unit descriptions for the Pecheneg preview. Since Pechenegs were of Turkic origin (by the generic sence of the term) we are try to use names for their units to be a close as possible to them since there is no available sourse that described Pecheneg "units" or warriors. So please if you have some sourses please share them to us.
    "Er" means both man and warrior, fitting for tribesmen, "Alp" and "Bagatyr" I guess close in meaning, both used as something like Hero, Brave-Noble Warrior, those nobles had retainers, in later eras they were called "Noker" but I think it was rather a Mongol influence of late era, Yigit(Brave) or Yoldash(Comrade, Companion) would be more fitting terms, Tarkhan is already known I guess, I'm guessing the fitting term for bodyguards would be "Kul"(Servant, sometimes can mean Slave, similar to Ottoman Kapıkulu)

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by b257 View Post
    I have a question, it is in regards to the timeframe of 872-900, it's a question about armor, eastern roman armor to be exact. What did eastern roman infantry wear under their chainmail? I ask because I'm writing a fantasy story for my creative writing group and its set on a world similar to this time frame and I've been using the information provided by you guys to help me create the setting. So, what did they wear under chainmail? I know kavadion wasn't in use during the late 800's-early 900's, was it some sort of padded jack or some type of heavy shirt? Thanks
    Well, that is a really tough question. The medieval Gambeson (clicky!) came about in the late 10th century, although it is thought to be around much much earlier. There is also the subarmalis of the ancient Roman period, however I don't know if this was continued into the Eastern Roman Empire.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    Well, that is a really tough question. The medieval Gambeson (clicky!) came about in the late 10th century, although it is thought to be around much much earlier. There is also the subarmalis of the ancient Roman period, however I don't know if this was continued into the Eastern Roman Empire.
    Thanks for the info Heathen, gives me a good Idea of what to work with.

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Of course there was a "gambeson" style cloth in ERE.
    It was called "kamvadion" or "Vamvakion" (Vamvax=Cotton in Greek).
    It was used underneath the lorikion (Lorica=cuirass) or standalone as armour:

Apart from these there were leather cuirases' which were worn either underneath or above the main cuirass and special cloths for underneath.
    There was also a military overcoat called "Sagion" (Latin:Sagum)
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Anthoniusll are there any news on when the mod will be released?? Been waiting sooo long for the mod and im looking very much forward for the release

Bladelok's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Larsel View Post
    Anthoniusll are there any news on when the mod will be released?? Been waiting sooo long for the mod and im looking very much forward for the release
    Well, I doubt that a release date can be brought up, I mean, by the looks of it there is still a lot of work to be done.

Basically, the mod will be released when it is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    "Er" means both man and warrior, fitting for tribesmen, "Alp" and "Bagatyr" I guess close in meaning, both used as something like Hero, Brave-Noble Warrior, those nobles had retainers, in later eras they were called "Noker" but I think it was rather a Mongol influence of late era, Yigit(Brave) or Yoldash(Comrade, Companion) would be more fitting terms, Tarkhan is already known I guess, I'm guessing the fitting term for bodyguards would be "Kul"(Servant, sometimes can mean Slave, similar to Ottoman Kapıkulu)
    Yes we allready add Tarkan/Tarkhan...Bulgarian roster already has "Bagatur" as unit..We could use it side bt side with Alp for Pechenegs as well.
    The rest of sugestions are also very helpfull! Neo!!!!!! take care of these sugestions please!
    Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    Of course there was a "gambeson" style cloth in ERE.
    It was called "kamvadion" or "Vamvakion" (Vamvax=Cotton in Greek).
    It was used underneath the lorikion (Lorica=cuirass) or standalone as armour:

Apart from these there were leather cuirases' which were worn either underneath or above the main cuirass and special cloths for underneath.
    There was also a military overcoat called "Sagion" (Latin:Sagum)
    This..^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladelok View Post
    Well, I doubt that a release date can be brought up, I mean, by the looks of it there is still a lot of work to be done.

Basically, the mod will be released when it is ready.
    This ^^^
    Basicaly we have a lot of work to do indeed.
    Real life issues keep most of us occupied (now or in the future for me atleast )...
    But we need relatevly few more units to complete the 3d phase of the mod.
    We need a lot of campaign scripters though...
    Building coders etc...since our own ar erather inactive lately.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Banner carrier teaser.

The unit is a mix of Matthaeus' and Koultouras' creations.
    Ussing also Sumskilz's and Pacco's ellements and parts!

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Excellent update and very interesting unit

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

beautiful!!

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Amazing

And here how a Tulunid bannerman looks like :

The unit is a mix ?(by me) of Matthaeus' and Koultouras' creations.
    Ussing also Sumskilz's and Pacco's ellements and parts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0046.jpg  

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

nice grassland, nice horse, nice soldier, nice banner, nice moon... I mean great!

Banner textures are ready for Tullunids and Abbasids.
    But the model consepts have the progress they should have ussing those two as placeholders untill te rest will be ready too.
    "Royal" banners of Tullunids

and Abbasids.

Unit models and textures by Matthaeus.
    Banner textures by Matthaeus
    Banner 3d model by Koultouras.
    Finall consept by AnthoniusII.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0055.png   0056.png