Page 339 of 350 FirstFirst ... 239 289 314 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 ... LastLast
Results 6,761 to 6,780 of 6988

Thread: The Great Conflicts main discussion thread. Please post here!

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: The Great Conflicts main discussion thread. Please post here!

I wouldn't mind either!

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

On the Croatian conquest of the western Balkans and the incorporation of Avar tribes into the Croatian "state";

1) "Those same Croats have come and sought Heraclius, the Emperor, before the Serbs seeking protection from that same emperor Heraclius, and this at a time when the Avars defeated and expelled Romans from these regions... ..."because they were moved from Rome to this region, I think of those who are now called Croatia and Serbia. These are the same Romans, expelled by the Avars in the era of the same emperor Byzantine Heraclius, and their lands remained desolate. On the orders of the Emperor Heraclius, these same Croats defeated and expelled the Avars from those countries, with the permission of the Emperor Heraclius, they were settled in the same country of the Avars, where they now live." - Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII Porphyrogennetos in his work De Administrando Imperio

2) "Then the Avars, seeing that this is the best country, they settled in it. But, the Croats, who at that time lived behind Bagibareje, where they are now Bjelohrvati (Belohrobatoi)(White Croats/ White Croatia)... Of them(the Croats), a tribe separated, led by a bloodline of five brothers; Klukas, Lobel, Kosjen , Mouh and Hrobatos and two sisters, Tuga and Buga, came with their people to Dalmatia and found the Avars as masters of the country. They fought each other for several years, the Croats prevailed and killed some of the Avars and forced the rest into submission. And so since that time the country was occupied by Croats and in Croatia (Hrobatia) there are still descendants of the Avars, and they are recognized as Avars." - Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII Porphyrogennetos in his work De Administrando Imperio

To him the Avars were submitted after defeat and later assimilated into the Croatian proto-feudalistic/tribal structure.

The most important sentence is the last sentence that I bolded.
    With it, Emperor Constantine VII claims that there are still Avars within Croatian rule during his time and that they are still recognized as Avars.

The "De Administrando Imperio" was written between 948 and 952.

Meaning that, within the timeline of this mod;

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

...so, how about them Avar units for the Croatian roster?
    Last edited by +Marius+; December 03, 2015 at 01:54 PM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Dομέστικοc

Thank you my friend!

Tommygunz's Avatar Libertus

Speaking of Croatia, apparently there will be a Duchy of Croatia in the Charlemagne DLC, though it's not yet clear whether it will be a playable faction (at least not to me ). I have a feeling it won't be as good as TGC's Croatia, however.

But if it is playable then that will be something that all Croatian players have wanted ever since MII came out, and so far the only hope for it seemed to be here in TGC.

But is it actualy correct that croatin had all those heavy types of units like 'pretorians' ?

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Kinda yeah.
    They are mentioned also.

Croatia had a fully functional "feudal" army since the times of Mislav.
    Considering that Bulgaria failed to conquer Croatia in 854 and also mentions of Croatians actually attacking Bulgars speaks volumes about the "modernization" of Croatia from a tribal Slavic sclavinia to a "proper" state with both Frankish(from all the archaeological equipment findings in Croatia) and Byzantine influences(from the closeness to the Dalmatian theme).

Which is not surprising considering that the royal court of Croatian dukes was barely a few miles away from the home of the Byzantine strategos in Split.
    Last edited by +Marius+; December 06, 2015 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    But is it actualy correct that croatin had all those heavy types of units like 'pretorians' ?
    yes,the frnkish annals actualy mentions how a croatian lord vas saved by his pretorians in an battle with the lord of panonia or at least i think so

now how well equiped those pretorians were we can not know for sure,croatia vas strong at that time what so ewer,croats won fights vs franks,romans,bulgars,venetians(venetia lost a naval battle to an croatian lord so u can imagine how strong his fleet vas,after they lost the battle they payed tribute to croatian lords for 100 jears) croati should not be unrestimated the romans gave the dalmatian tovns as a gift to the croatian king couse he crushed the bulgarians who almost conquered constantinopol
    Last edited by thekingsmen; December 09, 2015 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius Marich View Post
    On the Croatian conquest of the western Balkans and the incorporation of Avar tribes into the Croatian "state";

1) "Those same Croats have come and sought Heraclius, the Emperor, before the Serbs seeking protection from that same emperor Heraclius, and this at a time when the Avars defeated and expelled Romans from these regions... ..."because they were moved from Rome to this region, I think of those who are now called Croatia and Serbia. These are the same Romans, expelled by the Avars in the era of the same emperor Byzantine Heraclius, and their lands remained desolate. On the orders of the Emperor Heraclius, these same Croats defeated and expelled the Avars from those countries, with the permission of the Emperor Heraclius, they were settled in the same country of the Avars, where they now live." - Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII Porphyrogennetos in his work De Administrando Imperio

2) "Then the Avars, seeing that this is the best country, they settled in it. But, the Croats, who at that time lived behind Bagibareje, where they are now Bjelohrvati (Belohrobatoi)(White Croats/ White Croatia)... Of them(the Croats), a tribe separated, led by a bloodline of five brothers; Klukas, Lobel, Kosjen , Mouh and Hrobatos and two sisters, Tuga and Buga, came with their people to Dalmatia and found the Avars as masters of the country. They fought each other for several years, the Croats prevailed and killed some of the Avars and forced the rest into submission. And so since that time the country was occupied by Croats and in Croatia (Hrobatia) there are still descendants of the Avars, and they are recognized as Avars." - Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII Porphyrogennetos in his work De Administrando Imperio

To him the Avars were submitted after defeat and later assimilated into the Croatian proto-feudalistic/tribal structure.

The most important sentence is the last sentence that I bolded.
    With it, Emperor Constantine VII claims that there are still Avars within Croatian rule during his time and that they are still recognized as Avars.

The "De Administrando Imperio" was written between 948 and 952.

Meaning that, within the timeline of this mod;

...so, how about them Avar units for the Croatian roster?
    as much as i know there are writings who claim that slavs used javelines while on horses,so it would be cool if we had an croatian horse unit like those polnish nobelman calvary in the vanila

I'm hoping for a Christmas miracle

Just be glad the mod is still in production! Also I will have free time soon as my finals are over so expect more quotes.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

just some update to let you know:
    time befor chistmas is kind of short for other activities, but we´d made some progress in the campaignscenario and in the traitsystem.
    regards
    Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    "But I don't know how to mod!!!!"
    Learn. I didn't know how to do anything when I got this game, and now I know how to do quite a bit. Volunteer. Struggle. Figure it out.
    There are lots of cool mods that never see the light of day because people don't realize that mods need workers, not watchers, or realize it but continue to watch anyway.

The Great Conflicts
    872-1071

Incursio Pyrrhi - melts with Paeninsula Italica II

Good news!

Hello, guys! Is there any chance this mod will be done next year?
    As I see you're doing some awesome job and I'm bored to play mods over again.
    I'm ready for a new one. Wish you good luck and successful new year!

Civis

Was there any historical evidence that the Medieval Romans ever had helmets with a crest on them like I saw some of
    the models of officers for the tagmata in your mod wearing them.

Yes.

Hi. Are there some news ?

Nikiforos XMike's Avatar Civis

is it dead, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    The finall countdown!!!

I show this picture to explain an issue...
    What we can see in this picture is the fact that Varangians fight in the same unit as swordmen and axemen the same time!!
    The start was made many years ago by Strelac with his famous Pelekyphoroi Phrouroi of BC mod!! Strelac sent us the needed files and helped us understand a lot of things how the whole issue works. In the Strelac's original version though changing weapons by the player him self was kind of problematic! Koultouras gave the final solution be reversing the animation (that is why TGC similar to Varangian guards units start as swordmen). The solution allows player to change the style of playing (two handed axen or swordmen) as and when he/she pleases! Only exeption remains the wall deployment that those kind of units are strictly two handed axemen! The visual result in battle having two warfare styles in the same unit is great! It adds NO real gameplay advandage but contributes to th erealistic battle apearence!
    I would realy love to see this future. However, im very scared of it, because i play Broken Crescenta lot, and i can tell you that Pelekyphoroi Phrouroi losing all time to other 2 handed units (which dont have secondary weapon). I think its better to use it with one weapon. You can check what i am talking about by simply doign custom battle, for example tabardariya vs Pelekyphoroi Phrouroi. Even Pelekyphoroi have better stats, they still lose all time, because of they secondary weapon.

In BC I've noticed that they get caught switching animation pretty often. Everytime they are hit they have to readjust.

Any updates?