Thread: Dark Age of Techology armies

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Dark Age of Techology armies

I've been reading too much fluff where the Dark Age armies were incredibly powerful, unstoppable forces who could have destroyed all xenos at a whim if they wanted.

But What's the canon? How powerful were they according to GW? And were the Emperor's armies at their peak more powerful or not?
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Default Re: Dark Age of Techology armies

If they knew everything there was to know about that era it wouldn't be a "Dark Age". So no-one really knows, except the Emperor perhaps.

And whats the deal with calling extraterrestrials Xenos? Have they been watching the Alien films?
    Last edited by Helm; February 12, 2009 at 10:38 AM.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

According to the fluff they were unstoppable (plus they used robotic soldiers).

However, the "Unstoppable Human Empire" also coincides with the height of the peak of the tens of millions of year old Eldar civilization, before they crashed even harder than the humans. There are no mentions of wars between the two powers ripping the Galaxy apart, so I assume they either got along well or just ignored each other.

The only explanation I can think of was that by that time the Eldar had mostly moved onto relatively few (compared to Humanity) planets and thousands or millions of craftworlds. And that in their decadence they had turned almost completely inward, focused on pleasing themselves and ignoring the rest of the galaxy.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

The Imperium could field robot soldiers in 1st edition of the rules.

http://members.fortunecity.com/pango...rialrobots.htm

http://zachary.org/games/gw/robots.jpg

I think they were phased out by the 2nd edition of the rules though.
    Last edited by Helm; February 12, 2009 at 11:21 AM.

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

[quote=the_mango55;4441326]The only explanation I can think of was that by that time the Eldar had mostly moved onto relatively few (compared to Humanity) planets and thousands or millions of craftworlds.quote]

wrong, the eldar that built the craftworlds saw what was happening, so they built them to excape their doom.
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

The Eldar in their prime should in theory have been well ahead of Dark Age of Technology humans, they were a far more ancient race and until their fall they never went through a period of technological degeneration.

That would assume every civilization advances at roughly the same speed. It's quite clearly implied that the Humans advanced extremely fast in a very short timespan, much like the Tau are doing now and possibly even faster. There's a reason why they say humans used to worship science.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

those poor ignorant tau..

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
    wrong, the eldar that built the craftworlds saw what was happening, so they built them to excape their doom.
    Yeah I didn't say it was right, I was thinking of an excuse for GW to cover their huge plothole.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Maybe they were allied at the time?
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Back then they probably would have been more like ourselves today just with super advanced technology. They won't have had the kill all xenos urge.

Lt.Bradford's Avatar Domesticus

No, humanity and Eldar had sort of a keep not attack each other. Both knew that if they fought everything would end. Then again, one of the reasons of the Emperor's "kill all xenos" is because that, in part alien species caused the DAOT.
    Last edited by Lt.Bradford; February 13, 2009 at 09:30 PM.

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

Haha, makes the Empire look even more retarded than it already does. I pity the fools.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Waaaghboss Skullsmasha View Post
    Haha, makes the Empire look even more retarded than it already does. I pity the fools.
    Ya know that kinda made me mad, What the hell is everyones problem with the Imperium? I mean really...
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Because it's a degenerate, fanatic, bureaucratic oppressive regime?

It has almost nothing to do with what the Emperor had envisioned for humanity (which would've been more Dark Age of Tech society and quality of living but without the unbridled scientific pursuits and less dependancy on alien tech) Unfortunately the guy was incapactated before there was a lul in the fighting and the people would actually have experienced his vision of the Imperium.

People only see the massive armies and powerful weapons they use, but you have to remember the humans 20.000 years ago were far more advanced and powerful, hence the current Imperium frankly IS retarded.

Well i read that land raiders were the standard battle tanks for the Imperial guards. So deffinately not something anybody wanna with on the table top.

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    The only explanation I can think of was that by that time the Eldar had mostly moved onto relatively few (compared to Humanity) planets and thousands or millions of craftworlds.
    Wrong! Only some of them built craftworlds (another one of GW's Biblical allusions to the Flood and Deluge) to escape the decadence of their civilization before it was torn apart by the cataclysm that became the Eye of Terror.

At this point, the warp storms around Terra evaporated, beginning the Great Crusades. Humanity's Finest Hour only occured because it was the Eldar's Darkest.

Euhm, I don't agree. Despite their decadence at the end, the Eldar were at their zenith in military power and manpower. It's because they were at their zenith, they actually became decadent.

Everything points to Humanity and the Eldar living in a balance, fully realizing that if they were to clash the entire galaxy would burn.

edit: it's a shame we really are all speculating. I wish GW would flesh out this period more, or at least give us some more hints about Terran-Eldar relations.
    Last edited by Manco; February 25, 2009 at 08:21 AM.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by cfmonkey45 View Post
    At this point, the warp storms around Terra evaporated, beginning the Great Crusades. Humanity's Finest Hour only occured because it was the Eldar's Darkest.
    The "Great Crusades" and the reign of the Emperor is only Humanity's finest hour in the minds and propaganda of the Imperium.

In the so called "Dark Age" of Technology humanity was at a higher level in any category of measurement (prosperity, culture, territory, industry, military, etc) than it is under the Imperium.
    ttt