View Poll Results: Do you want to buy and play it, if there's any?

Voters
417. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

384 92.09%
  • No

33 7.91%
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Play as a German-Axis FPS Game

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Play as a German-Axis FPS Game

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Playing as the baddies is all well and good and all that, but not when it's real life baddies who slew ten million people in death camps and made a heroic effort to ethnically cleanse the world of "undesirables". Anything that glorifies the Third Reich shouldn't really be encouraged in my opinion.
    Thata why I suggested an alternate history, your country is no longer participating in ethnic cleansing, you are trying to save it from the communist onslaught after they violated the peace treaty agreed upon after a successful valkyrie plot (plus there should be something said about the fact that playing as Russians is in most ww2 games, yet the Stalin killed many more people than the Third Reich, however there is something to be said about how fast the Nazis killed people)

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by pvtgunny View Post
    Thata why I suggested an alternate history, your country is no longer participating in ethnic cleansing, you are trying to save it from the communist onslaught after they violated the peace treaty agreed upon after a successful valkyrie plot (plus there should be something said about the fact that playing as Russians is in most ww2 games, yet the Stalin killed many more people than the Third Reich, however there is something to be said about how fast the Nazis killed people)
    So...a fictional game?

Indefinitely Banned

however there is something to be said about how fast the Nazis killed people
    I reckon the Germans earned the high score for killing most people quickest. They win!

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

To hell with WW2.A game about secret missions of KSK would be much better or a Bundeswehr Soldier that is the only survivor of an ambush and has to get back to his base on foot.
    Or a KSK under EU command in Operation ATALANTA (EU mission in Somalia)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Indefinitely Banned

WW2 has been done to death already. If you want to play as Germans in WW2 it's already been done, one of the Company of Heroes expansions has you playing as the Nazis. One of the complaints of reviewers was that you felt distinctly unheroic gunning down Brits and Yanks

A WW1 game would be excellent though, without any of the ethical dilemnas thrown up by the whole Germans ethincally cleansing a bunch of folks in WW2.

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

One of the complaints of reviewers was that you felt distinctly unheroic gunning down Brits and Yanks
    And what is so heroic about a British,American or a Soviet taking on the entire Wehrmacht.
    The Wehrmacht was overwhelmed not destroyed a 1 American,British or Soviet soldier.
    For every Wehrmacht soldier 3,4 from the others died,it didn't felt like that,it was like fighting a horde as Rambo.
    A WW1 game would be excellent though, without any of the ethical dilemnas thrown up by the whole Germans ethincally cleansing a bunch of folks in WW2.
    It would not sell that well in other developed countries,i think a game set in modern time would be better.AG 36 is the embodiment of awesomeness.

Content Emeritus

I would say WW1 would be the best bet, ive been waiting for one for a long time, and would prefer to play as Germany

Comes Domesticorum

So, each level would be "rush trench, retreat, protect trench, counterattack trench, retreat." Sounds great.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

WW2 has been done to death already. If you want to play as Germans in WW2 it's already been done, one of the Company of Heroes expansions has you playing as the Nazis. One of the complaints of reviewers was that you felt distinctly unheroic gunning down Brits and Yanks

World War II isn't overdone, D-day and Stalingrad are.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBlast View Post
    And what is so heroic about a British,American or a Soviet taking on the entire Wehrmacht.
    The Wehrmacht was overwhelmed not destroyed a 1 American,British or Soviet soldier.
    For every Wehrmacht soldier 3,4 from the others died,it didn't felt like that,it was like fighting a horde as Rambo.
    To be fair the Brits always came out tops whenever they faced up against the Germans on equal terms, in fact in Africa when fighting the Germans and Italians our kill/death ratio was awesome. It was only the Yanks and Soviets that relied on overwhelming numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    So, each level would be "rush trench, retreat, protect trench, counterattack trench, retreat." Sounds great.
    Sounds a lot more exciting than generic WW2 FPS number 324456.

Content Emeritus

There was more to it than rush retreat wait repeat, in the beginning it was very mobile warfare, and dont forget there are interesting sniper and sabotouer aspects to it too

Indefinitely Banned

There was more to it than rush retreat wait repeat, in the beginning it was very mobile warfare, and dont forget there are interesting sniper and sabotouer aspects to it too
    Very true. Must also bear in mind that it was mobile at the end as well, when the Allies developed the blitzkrieg tactic ie quick shelling, then send a mass of tanks up supported by aeroplanes and infantry. The start was odd though because it was nearly Napoleonic style tactics at first, marching in lines and cavalry and whatnot, machine guns and artillery weren't taken as seriously as they should have been and a defensive and attritional style of warfare wasn't expected at all. It was the first time that mass mobilisation had been seen on such a scale as well, the British couldn't at first believe the size of the German army.

Comes Domesticorum

Sounds like a snooze-fest.

Indefinitely Banned

There's a couple of good WW1 games out there, there's Aggression: Reign Over Europe being developed, that covers WW1 and WW2 I believe and looks great fun. There's also Toy Soldiers. Uh that's about it actually. WW1 really needs more coverage in games, if you can't make a game about the Great War then you shouldn't really be making games since it provides such a wealth of material.

Comes Domesticorum

Again, not much interest in "sit in trench, die in field." I understand Brits have a hard-on for WWI though, so maybe a British developer can do it?

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

You're all forgetting about the Eastern, Anatolian and Balkan fronts of World War I which were much more fluid. I don't understand why most westeners suddenly connect World War I = Trench Warfare. Sure, it was a big part but it wasn't everything.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    You're all forgetting about the Eastern, Anatolian and Balkan fronts of World War I which were much more fluid. I don't understand why most westeners suddenly connect World War I = Trench Warfare. Sure, it was a big part but it wasn't everything.
    Because that was the type of warfare the Western nations were mostly involved in.

And nobody in the West cares about the Balkans or Anatolia enough to make a game based on that.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Again, not much interest in "sit in trench, die in field." I understand Brits have a hard-on for WWI though, so maybe a British developer can do it?
    Brits, French and Germans are all interested in WW1 since they were the main players with countries still in existence. The US joined too, but only in the last year and were slaughtered by the veteran Germans they faced. Russia was in it for a while as well, but they pulled out for a while when they had a poorly timed civil war.

Again, I would stress that at the beginning and end of WW1 the warfare was mobile. Admittedly there was that defensive style of warfare for a big chunk of it, but that was until technology and tactics adapted and became offensive in nature again. It's not impossible to make an interesting game about WW1 just rather tricky to blend the different styles of warfare utilised in the Great War.

Comes Domesticorum

Yes, the Americans did the save the day, but I don't think they're interested enough in rushing across trenches and bolt-action. Unless they make it so you get to use all the "cool" weapons of WWI, submachine guns, machine guns, flamethrowers, etc. The ones that very few people had access to.

Indefinitely Banned

If Americans aren't interested enough in a world war to make a game about it then that makes me glad that I'm not American then, because they've clearly got their priorities wrong. Anyway it's not just WW1 that is ignored by Yank game developers, it's the American Civil War too, there aren't really that many decent games about it either.

Also of note; bolt action rifles are cool. The Mosin-Nagant rifle from CoD2 was epic, as was the Lee-Enfield.
    Last edited by TheXand; June 14, 2010 at 04:57 PM.