View Poll Results: Do you want to buy and play it, if there's any?

Voters
417. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

384 92.09%
  • No

33 7.91%
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Play as a German-Axis FPS Game

Default Play as a German-Axis FPS Game

It would be quite awesome, no FREAKING AWESOME if you could play as a German or axis nation in single player FPS game like Call of Duty or Medal of Honor and when you can finally shoot the British or American soldiers and not always shoot the Germans. I wonder why after so many years there is still no game like that. :hmmm:

I know Day of Defeat or Bf1942, but still I really like to be a German soldiers in single player game and have full character story rather than just play as a German in skirmish or multiplayer.

Ok, I know the political thingy but at least game developers can choose Finland for instance or Italian or maybe Romanian, or...wait Vichy French..ah so many interesting stuff if there's a game like that.

Your opinion?

CA you have done a great job so far, keep up the good work!!

Why there is no German-Axis FPS game?
    Thank You for the rep+ given!:wink:

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Play as a German-Axis FPS Game

Hm... Don't know if I would... The only WW2 FPS I've ever played was CoD1.

But I couldn't play such a game anyway; possession of such game would quickly be prohibited in Germany. Even Wolfenstein3d by Apogee (id) was prohibited, it was subject to confiscation, although the protagonist (if you could call him that) was not a nazi - the svastikas and the Horst Wessel song in the intro were the problem.

There has been exactly one game that could ever be sold without Nazi-Germany's symbols censored out (a typical example of these days: White empty circles on red flags in the German release of Silent Hunter III): Panzer General 1. Indeed, after it had initially been confiscated, SSI went to court and was successful in proving the educational value of the game; educational value is a criterion for an allowed exception.

But a game in which the player acts as a member of the Wehrmacht, Gestapo or whatever would never get a chance in Germany. Maybe if you renamed Germany to Tomania for a German release...

-Der Ketzerfreund.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

Don't give a . It's always a (violent) game to me. A game....

Although it's more fun killing ing Nazis
    A dead enemy always smells good - Alus Vitellus

formerly known as karakalos10

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzerfreund View Post

But I couldn't play such a game anyway; possession of such game would quickly be prohibited in Germany. Even Wolfenstein3d by Apogee (id) was prohibited, it was subject to confiscation, although the protagonist (if you could call him that) was not a nazi - the svastikas and the Horst Wessel song in the intro were the problem.

There has been exactly one game that could ever be sold without Nazi-Germany's symbols censored out (a typical example of these days: White empty circles on red flags in the German release of Silent Hunter III): Panzer General 1. Indeed, after it had initially been confiscated, SSI went to court and was successful in proving the educational value of the game; educational value is a criterion for an allowed exception.

But a game in which the player acts as a member of the Wehrmacht, Gestapo or whatever would never get a chance in Germany. Maybe if you renamed Germany to Tomania for a German release...

-Der Ketzerfreund.
    Does not have to be Germany. What about Finland? It's axis but is it prohibited by the law to play as those brave Finns in Winter War or in Continuation War?

Let us not forget what the Soviet had done? but in Call of Duty game you could play as the Soviets.

gambit's Avatar Gorak

Battlefield nineteen fordey twooooooo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    I think he's talking about campaign play here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    I already notify you about that matter in first post sir.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoPruss View Post
    It would be quite awesome, no FREAKING AWESOME if you could play as a German or axis nation in single player FPS game like Call of Duty or Medal of Honor and when you can finally shoot the British or American soldiers and not always shoot the Germans. I wonder why after so many years there is still no game like that. :hmmm:
    Because there is no getting away from the fact that in the context of WW2 the Germans are without doubt, and rightly, the big old baddies.

I agree with the Finns being given a break. But then if things had happened differently they would not have been on the same "side" as the germans. Also, it would include shooting at Germans to kick themout toward the endof the war. Equal Opportunity defenders those Finns
    Last edited by Agent Provocateur; February 12, 2009 at 09:04 AM.

I've wanted to play an FPS from the Axis perspective for years; though I doubt that, if the game was ever made, it would even touch on the stuff I would find interesting.

But you know what would be really awesome; no more FPS games using WW2 as a backdrop. CoD4 was a blessing with its modern setting, I'd rather have more of that instead of another derivative WW2 shooter.

Never played any WW shooter before. I want Battlefield Heroes cartoon shooter to come out!

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Just have a modern day FPS with a German protagonist. You no longer vilify the Germans yet you can steer away from controversy and the cliché of 'the good German'.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

gambit's Avatar Gorak

I already notify you about that matter in first post sir.
    Haha oops, I read the first sentence then skimmed quickly for battlefield and didnt see the name.

I agree that we are well in need of a axis-driven campaign in a WW2 FPS. It'd probably have to take place in the early years of WW2 when the Axis was winning.. that or the character you're playing as dies at the end of alot of the levels
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

play as germans? make a bleedin game bout da IRA. the boyras! COME ON DA BOYRAS!!

Anachronist's Avatar Domesticus

Plus the Germans have much better guns, well at the end of the war anyway.

Arto's Avatar Praefectus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Make a game from the Battle of France to El Alamein where you play as the Germans soldiers.
    Knowledge is a deadly friend, if no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see, is in the hands of fools - King Crimson's Epitaph.
    תחי מדינת ישראל

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Even in Germany I could see a game like this existing. You wouldn't necessarily have to play as some fanatic SS Nazi, but rather as a run off the mill Wehrmacht fellow who just had the bad luck of being conscripted to fight for his Führer.

This could easily be a man who doesn't share Hitlers sympathies at all. I think a game like that would have massive educational values, as it would portray the Wehrmacht as the force that it essentially was: an army made of people who were essentially stuck on the wrong side of the divide. Which made them "the enemy".

Offering some good insight into how the Wehrmacht operated and functioned back then and how the individual soldiers felt about the war would be a useful contrast to the inaccurate picture that most WW2 games and movies paint: one of a single nation behind their Führer, all equally fanatical.

Show the player the soldier steamrolling western Europe during the Blitzkrieg phase of the early war. The soldier who is only excited about his country's good fortune in the war.

Show the player the soldier who realises that the North African campaign isn't going to be as much as a walk in the park as he had initially expected it to be.

Show the player the soldier who is stationed in the Balkan and faces fierce partisan resistance and is starting to second guess the purpose of this war by now.

Show the player the tragedy of the German troops in Stalingrad who, encircled, outnumbered and outgunned realise that this city will be their grave.

Show the player the soldiers defending the shores of Normandy. The soldiers who desperately required aid to keep a numerically superior force at bay but received none due to their incompetent Commander in Chief.

Show the player the soldiers in the Ardennes who, despite seeing no other outcome to this war than utter defeat on both fronts, go on one last desperate offensive with artificially boosted morale.

And lastly, show the player the desperate and inhumane defense of Berlin against the Soviet onslaught. The soldier who sees no way out and will inevitably die to the Red Army.

If this game came out, I'd get it in an instant.
    Last edited by The Dude; March 15, 2009 at 06:04 AM.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzerfreund View Post

-Der Ketzerfreund.
    This is true, still, Wolfenstein was never as innocent as you state here, all the "Wolfensteinnazistuff" is practically the (false) Nazy allegory all around the world. Black mantles, fanatic troops etc.

I wonder why after so many years there is still no game like that. :hmmm:

Because Wermacht = Nazi for most people because they have never heard Wermacht before. Allies = Good, Axis = Evil. You don't want to with people's "understanding" of history.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I think the reason we don't see it is evenly split between
    a) people consider the Germans the bad guys, and;
    b) people don't want to play a game where you lose at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    If this game came out, I'd get it in a nutshell.
    You would get it in a nutshell? :hmmm:

I'm not exactly sure what that means.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

*looks at sig

I would like to play as a Falschirmjager gunning down enemies with my FG-42. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast