Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Results 321 to 329 of 329

Thread: Creating a World Adding a new Faction

  1. #321
    Gigantus's Avatar I came, I saw, I tutored
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    45,015
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: Creating a World Adding a new Faction

    Nothing obvious I can find, sorry. Did you happen to work already with the name files (data\descr_names and text\names)? Seeing that this is the first character entry there is a possibility that something is wrong there.

    Give me the following files as well (put in one folder then compress):
    descr_sm_factions
    descr_names
    text\names.txt
    text\names.string.bin
    the crash log


  2. #322
    skylli's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    croatia
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Creating a World Adding a new Faction

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Nothing obvious I can find, sorry. Did you happen to work already with the name files (data\descr_names and text\names)? Seeing that this is the first character entry there is a possibility that something is wrong there.

    Give me the following files as well (put in one folder then compress):
    descr_sm_factions
    descr_names
    text\names.txt
    text\names.string.bin
    the crash log
    I checked those files a couple of times and when i didnt find anything i just tried changing the papal states into my faction on a fresh copy
    Managed to get the character and the settlements in the game but then i found out what was wrong with the previous ones(besides Denethor), whatever I do in the export_desc_buildings file my game crashes and i cant figure out why, for example i just do some basic stuff like add the first level of stables to my country and the game crashes

  3. #323

    Default Re: Creating a World Adding a new Faction

    Doesnt the game require a papal faction using Catholic religion? I know you can edit out the pope and the religion mini game but isnt a papal faction hardcoded?

  4. #324
    Gigantus's Avatar I came, I saw, I tutored
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    45,015
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: Creating a World Adding a new Faction

    Quote Originally Posted by skylli View Post
    I checked those files a couple of times and when i didnt find anything i just tried changing the papal states into my faction on a fresh copy
    Managed to get the character and the settlements in the game but then i found out what was wrong with the previous ones(besides Denethor), whatever I do in the export_desc_buildings file my game crashes and i cant figure out why, for example i just do some basic stuff like add the first level of stables to my country and the game crashes
    Any chance you might be back to a formatting issue in the EDB? This checker does pick up 'normal' formatting\code issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faylar001 View Post
    Doesnt the game require a papal faction using Catholic religion? I know you can edit out the pope and the religion mini game but isnt a papal faction hardcoded?
    Slightly the other way round and it's not the faction name governing this, it's the special faction setting in descr_sm_faction: "special_faction_type papal_faction" The effects of this setting are hard coded, eg papal standing, school of cardinals, crusades, and depend on the religion of this faction being set to catholic.


  5. #325

    Default Re: Creating a World Adding a new Faction

    Yeah... I thought there was a need for one Catholic faction being the Papal state (Mordor in TATW) and then Orthodox and Heretic as a religion assigned to a faction and slave respectively as well. I know you can rename the religion through text files, but I thought having one catholic papal faction was necessary for the game to work?

    Also, secondary question... is it better to keep and re-purpose existing factions and cultures, or make new ones from scratch?
    Last edited by Faylar001; October 09, 2018 at 01:24 AM.

  6. #326
    Gigantus's Avatar I came, I saw, I tutored
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    45,015
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: Creating a World Adding a new Faction

    It's not a question of better - it's one of convenience. An existing faction has all it's stuff set up - all you have to do is edit some text files and graphics. Personally I will only add a faction once I have run out of vanilla factions. You can even turn the papal_states faction into a regular faction by removing the special_faction_type line.
    The only drawbacks of this is the lack of intuition when it comes to working with faction specific stuff, using the Normans as Nubians could lead to some entertaining oversights if not enough care is taken and the other case is unsuitable faction specific triggers in EDCT and EDA.

    The usual exception:
    Aztecs is a bit weird unless you change the culture, though, even then you may not be able to avoid the odd mesoamerican 'children' (indirectly linked battle building models, eg farms, little churches) on the battle field.

    I have taken to using this faction as 'script faction' - see some of the text tutorials here as to the use of it, eg labels for forts and unique custom names.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 10, 2018 at 09:43 PM.


  7. #327

    Default Re: Creating a World Adding a new Faction

    Thanks for the answer. I am replacing them so far, as I am having a hard time keeping track of which faction name belongs to which faction. Cultures, i would like to replace too, but I am still trying to figure out how to change the ambient settlements and battle map cities/forts... not there yet... Also, i am not entirely sure how to designate a culture as the default culture like South America is for rebels. (I'm assuming it's the first slot one).

  8. #328
    Gigantus's Avatar I came, I saw, I tutored
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Goa - India
    Posts
    45,015
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: Creating a World Adding a new Faction

    The culture of a spawned rebel from descr_rebel_factions (as opposed to recruited rebels) is the culture of the region they spawn in, those spawned by script will have the culture of their sub faction entry. Comes handy with their banner symbols as those can be made to reflect the different cultures.




    For the ambient stuff ask the IWTE guys.


  9. #329

    Default Re: Creating a World Adding a new Faction

    Thanks I'm not ready to tackle ambient models yet, but I will definitely check it out when I am. I have a couple tutorials bookmarked for it.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •