Thread: End the darned Crusade already!

Default End the darned Crusade already!

Hi all, currently I'm in the middle of a VH/VH campaign as Antioch and have lost Edessa to a Turkish stack led by their sultan. All I have are Aleppo, Antioch, Damascus and the Krak, to which I'm essentially holding on by my fingernails because the Turks keep coming in over the border. Worse still, the Kingdom of Jerusalem have lost all but Kerak to the Egyptians, and the Egyptians have already made forays into my territory and attacked a few forts, so it seems I may be fighting a two-front war soon.

I made a successful stab at Edessa, but the troops were too weakened after the battle and had to split in face of the oncoming Turkish stack of super-OP Hashashins. I then tried Adana, but found it has a garrison script and had to scoot. Finally, I just raided a random seaside Turkish city, sacked it, destroyed everything and sailed off with the goods, which will probably go into upgrading the Krak into a fortress. Meanwhile, Damascus, Aleppo and Antioch are all under siege, the last one not even having had enough time to retrain its garrison since the previous attack.

So then I thought, the Turks need some problems within their own borders so they stop concentrating on me. How to do that? Well, a crusade seems ideal, except there's one already in progress marked for Cairo. This wouldn't have been so big a deal except this crusade has already lasted 80 turns. To add insult to the injury, Cairo has remained free of seige for the majority of these turns. The crusaders are nowhere to be seen.

Big rant but I'm really frustrated at the moment. Is there anything I can do short of tracking down and assassinating all the crusaders (which is impossible without toggle_fow + most of the crusaders are faction leaders/heirs so they only have a 5-6% chance of dying)?
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

Default Re: End the darned Crusade already!

cheat your way into taking Cairo, gift it back to the Egyptians, and call it a day.

I tried it through the "control faction" command, but when I tried to gift Cairo (even though I had temporarily switched my capital's location) the diplomacy scroll just closed with no effect. It didn't even say if the offer was generous or demanding, etc. Seems some sort of downside with controlling other factions. Is violent conquest the only way?

lol silly me forgot that I have to wait my turn in a hotseat before I can answer the diplomat. All settled now and the crusade is done for. Thanks for the help +
    Last edited by Surgeon; February 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

Your welcome. If this happens to me in a single player game I'll use the character_reset command and move my army to the target, then siege it. I then will use the auto_win commands appropriately until I win. I'll occupy the city, then give the city back asap. Along with that I try to provide reparations depending on how many troops I kill and such. Usually the crusade reward from the pope covers this. If not I use the add_money cheat.

Basically this issue is hardcoded, and "cheating" in this occasion is ok to keep the game running properly. Of course if this is a hotseat game it can be more complicated than this, but in single player it works well.

Koljan's Avatar Senator

I had the same problem you are describing when i was playing antioch.

Strangely, 2 turns after i posted about it on the forums, the crusade was declared as failed.

I have the same problem too. so far it has lasted 60 turns (no end in sight) in my hotseat game and I'm quite annoyed about it.

@Surgeon,

I'm pretty sure that this is because the campaign is on a timescale of 0.5, Crusades can go on for far longer than in vanilla as a result. It seems to work out in years and not turns. I rechecked the files and this is not moddable but is hardcoded.

I forgot to mention as well for patch 3.8 I made egypt and the turks perform a lot better under AI control. As a result the Crusader campaigns are now even more epic. Antioch is one of the toughest campaigns in the whole mod, as you are finding out the hard way.

Dave

THARN's Avatar Senator

In My Antioch Campaign I have resigned to the fact that I will have to defend my Capital continuously.
    Take the fight to the Turks hard and keep the alliance with Jerusalem and try and get some kind of alliance with the Byzantines...
    squeeze the life out of the Turks.

Dave,
    Same thing can happen in vanilla-- I've also had Crusades last 60+ turns. USUALLY it seems to be because one crusading army gets "stuck" somewhere, and it never dies. General consensus seems to be that in that case it's a "map problem" and can't really be fixed.

I cant download it version 3.0 from the website you give to us ? could you fix it ? thank you !
    Who Dares Win

try marrying a princess to the byzantines, i tend to find that works quite well although i am trying it the other way round atm