Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Developers Preview Thread (some real action)

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Default Re: Developers Preview Thread (some real action)

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    that is supposed to be a Sami, though i can not vouch for the authentisity...
    if anyone is knowledgable enough in any Sami dialect, Kven or even Finnish to suggest non-english names for these units, that would be verry nice.
    It looks finnish alright, awesome job guys

Some finnish translations:
    Fishermen/Coastal Hunters -Hylkeen metsästäjät (Seal hunters)
    Hunters/Pelt traders - Karhun metsästäjät (Bear hunters)
    Shaman/Infantry - spear-fear, unarmoured - small group of pike infantry led by a shaman. Shaman = Shamaani. Pike troops = Seiväs joukko

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    Fishermen/Coastal Hunters - javelin-knife, unarmoured - used to fish and hunt seal, unreliable.
    Hunters/Pelt traders - bow-spear, padded/leather armour - experienced bear hunters, tough.
    Sami/Infantry - spear-knife, upgradable to padded/leather armor - common folk, untrained.
    Shaman/Infantry - spear-fear, unarmoured - small group of pike infantry led by a shaman, frighten enemy and encourage allies with macick.
    none of these units use shield or any kind of metal armour.

if anyone is knowledgable enough in any Sami dialect, Kven or even Finnish to suggest non-english names for these units, that would be verry nice.
    this small roste will be available as mercs, rebels and some for the Kvenland faction locatede north of Bay of Bothnia.
    To find someone speaking Sami, or anyone that even owns a dictionary you must get really, really lucky. I do not believe there is an online dictionary either. And to decide what dialect..

Nice looking unit. However im not sure about the spear/pike. The puukko (knife) certainly is important. But perhaps an axe (they were tools as well as weapons) or a pilum (called ango, sort of harpoon http://www.kp-art.fi/jt/keihaat/ango.html ) for some units.

He looks somewhat well dressed, so a sword would maybe suit him as well. Swords were very highly valued, often imported, badges of rank and wealth. IIRC they were even named.

The hard part without anyone knowledgeable in Sami would be unit names. If exact accuracy is not that important, maybe you could use some simple names until better are found.

Joavku = band, group, unit in the most generic northern Sami I quess.
    Hunter = bivdi
    Axe = įkšu
    King = gonagas
    Man/Men = almmįi
    Merchant = giehmįnni
    Coast/shore = mearragįddi
    Bear = bierdna
    Protection = suodjalus

rievvįr = robber/bandit. Could use simple "peasant unit" as Rebels?

Eq. bierdna bivdi for bear hunters sounds cool to me. Or įkšu almmai for axemen. Gonagas suodjala, kings guard?

I note once more - i do not know the language, but I used finnish as translation. The names i think are better than nothing.

I found this interesting fact that "Leaibealmmįi" is the god of the hunter, associated with the tree alder.
    Clothes could be dyed red with it, and it is also associated with blood. Also Alden branches were used as
    protection against bad spirits in homes.

A new faction is really not that hard to do? The Russians (sorry can not remember faction name) are very small as well. I think it would certainly make the northern map more interesting. Perhaps a subtle difference from Häme - more pelts as clothing, like the coat on the one you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Kahvipannu View Post
    It looks finnish alright, awesome job guys
    Kahvi you can make some nice units in other mods. Maybe make us Finns a unit to be proud of?

Seriously,

Im thinking a sword equipped merchant band, "Rautapaidat" ("Iron Shirts" mention found in Kalevala), 50/50 Eastern/Western European swords and some nice dyed clothes, chain mail shirt and a helmet.

These guys would be the rich merchants that went on raids. A nice, high tier, expensive unit for Finns, for those late game battles.

There have been some really high quality swords found in Finland, but next to nothing is known of them. So possibly my idea could fill that gap.

Mearrasįmi or Sea Sami.

the previous unit will most likely be named "Sisrijkasįmi" - Innland Sami or perhaps "Boanda" - farmer. while in fact both represent the same settled people, labled "Bufinnar" by major Peter Schnitler(1743).
    while the "Nįvddįr" - pelt hunter represent the (semi)-nomadic variety.
    the main purpose of these units is to replace the AoR and rebels in the northernmost paerts of the map, so not to much will be put into them. but perhaps there should be an axe unit as well, as to cover most of the basic unit types.
    the Finnic faction of Kvenland will draw its unique units from this small roster. i suppose bow/spear and javelin/knife, under the names of "Karhun metsästäjät" and "Hylkeen metsästäjät". the Kvens, however, will not have access to native cavalry, here they must employ mercenaries.

the "Rautapaidat" Iron Shirts is not a bad idea.
    the Finnic roster were intended to lack in metal armor, relying on mercenaries to "conquer the world". the Fin campaign is supposed to be very hard, but i gues the balance is a bit unfair. though the Finnic roster do have a sword unit.
    Last edited by absinthia; October 01, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der gręd Enker og der gręd Bųrn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ųrn.
    Anders Sųrensen Vedel

Very nice... You make some serious quality units. Did you already know of the Argo, or did you make it that fast?

The Rautapaidat I thought of would be top tier units, perhaps requiring a special building or settlement. There were many small merchants settlements in Finland, that in time moved or disappeared. I doubt the Finns would be able to support such units, other than by paying for them. The CoW mod uses a building called mercenary camp for such units.

I must admit I have not played the Häme faction for long (only 50 turns).. But I presume later on I would need some heavier mercenaries, especially if moving abroad.

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Damn, again great unit, with all these additions can't wait for the patch

Quote Originally Posted by Karabekian View Post
    Kahvi you can make some nice units in other mods. Maybe make us Finns a unit to be proud of?
    Heh, I have my hands a bit full at the moment But maybe in the future as submod maybe. With addition of dinosaurs, for Finns only ofcourse... with flamethrowers.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

Quote Originally Posted by Kahvipannu View Post
    With addition of dinosaurs, for Finns only ofcourse... with flamethrowers.
    please do the finnish mammoth-riders

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Some updated unit descriptions:

{sami_hunters}Nįvddįr
    {sami_hunters_descr}Pelt hunters. Used to hunt big game they are armed with bows and bear-spears. No animal or human for that matter will be able to hide from these Hunters.
    {sami_hunters_descr_short}Used to hunt big game they are armed with bows and bear-spears.

{crivichi}Crivichi
    {crivichi_descr}Infantry armed with javelins and maces, lightly armour.
    {crivichi_descr_short}Infantry armed with javelins and maces, lightly armour.
    {crivichi_nobles}Crivichi Nobles
    {crivichi_nobles_descr}Cavalry armed with javelins and maces, armoured with maile hauberk and helmets.
    {crivichi_nobles_descr_short}Cavalry armed with javelins and maces, armoured with maile hauberk and helmets.

{rus_horsemen}Rus' Horsemen
    {rus_horsemen_descr}RUS scandinavian horsemen are the cavalry force of the RUS. It's a cavalry force not to be taken lightly! Used mainly against the Crivichi hordes, this unit is a great addition in the battle against the hordes from the Steppes to the east!
    {rus_horsemen_descr_short}RUS scandinavian horsemen are the cavalry force of the RUS.

{rikote_tjarlai}Rikote Tjarlai
    {rikote_tjarlai_descr}Rich Slavic warriors armed and ready to fight for their king. These warriors will stop at nothing to defend their King!
    {rikote_tjarlai_descr_short}Rich Slavic warriors armed and ready to fight for their king

{obodrite_nobles}Obaudretst'e Velmozhe
    {obodrite_nobles_descr}Nobility of the Obodrites, armed in a mix of Frankish and Slavic fashion. This elite unit of the Obotrites will take the battle to the Vikings of Danmörk and other tribes if need be!
    {obodrite_nobles_descr_short}Nobility of the Obodrites, armed in a mix of Frankish and Slavic fashion

{miles}Miles
    {miles_descr}Miles are a cavalry force of Normans.
    {miles_descr_short}Miles are a cavalry force of Normans.

{lesser_druzina}Peshatsi Draugai
    {lesser_druzina_descr}Members of the king's druzhina, armed with javelins and axes. This cavalry force will prove a match for any other cavalry in the northern and eastern part of Europe!
    {lesser_druzina_descr_short}Members of the king's druzhina, armed with javelins and axes

This unit will possibly have this unit description:

{lantwer}Lantwer
    {lantwer_descr}"Landowners, this is a unit comprised of rich people who will stop at nothing to defend their lands! Being rich, they can field some units of moderate or higher quality."
    {lantwer_descr_short}"Landowners who will defend their lands at all costs."

{ladir}Hlašir Skutilsveinar
    {ladir_descr}Tablemen of Lade, these are unique units of Halogaland - armed with Javelins or Spears!
    {ladir_descr_short}Tablemen of Lade

{huscarls}Huscarls
    {huscarls_descr}Retainers of a Saxon noble. These units of English Housecarl bodyguards will sometimes sell themselves as mercenaries for nobles of other factions, preferably the Franks, but also sometimes the Vikings themselves.
    {huscarls_descr_short}Sword, maile Hauberk, helm and decorated leather-covered shield.

{Redari_Tjarlai_descr}Redari Men are light infantry armed with axe. This infantry unit wil be a match for any other infantry in the east of Europe.
    {Redari_Tjarlai_descr_short}Redari Men are light infantry armed with axe

{Saxon_Bodyguard}Mercenary Earl's Huscarls Bodyguard
    {Saxon_Bodyguard_descr}A great Chieftain, and his mercenary Saxon Earl bodyguard, these men are the closest confidents of their Lord and train at his hall in the art of warfare. Armed with the axes and heavily armoured these men fight to protect their Lord.
    {Saxon_Bodyguard_descr_short}Mercenary Guards to a Saxon Earl.

{Riddarar_Bodyguard}Riddarar Mounted Bodyguard
    {Riddarar_Bodyguard_descr}These truly formidable troops are the Chieftains personal bodyguard who accompany him on the battlefield. Selected for their loyalty and martial prowess these elite warriors fear little and shrug off odds that would crush many other units.
    {Riddarar_Bodyguard_descr_short}Strong mounted warriors hand picked to protect the Chieftain.
    {Riddarar_Late_Bodyguard}Riddarar Late Mounted Bodyguard
    {Riddarar_Late_Bodyguard_descr}These truly formidable troops are the Chieftains personal bodyguard who accompany him on the battlefield. Selected for their loyalty and martial prowess these elite warriors fear little and shrug off odds that would crush many other units.
    {Riddarar_Late_Bodyguard_descr_short}Strong mounted warriors hand picked to protect the Chieftain.

{Dismounted_NE_Bodyguard}Bodyguard
    {Dismounted_NE_Bodyguard_descr}These are truly formidable troops whose task it is to guard the army's Chieftain. Wielding swords and shield, these elite troops fear little on the battlefield and make fearsome opponents. Loyal and disciplined this elite heavy infantry unit accompanies the Chieftain wherever he goes on the battlefield.
    {Dismounted_NE_Bodyguard_descr_short}Well armed and equipped these elite troops have the task of guarding and fighting alongside the army's Chieftain.

{Nemci}Nem'ci
    {Nemci_descr}Nem'ci - Foreigners selling themselves as Mercenaries in the Baltic or even further east.
    {Nemci_descr_short}Foreigners well armed and armored

{Light_Miles}Caballarii
    {Light_Miles_descr}Caballarii simply means horsemen, but the professional soldiers with their higher standing were properly addressed as Milites, leaving the Caballarii term for levied horsemen usually. A general levy still exists and the kings try to gain direct control over it, without the intermediate local magnates interfering. However the gap between the professional and levied soldiers is far too big by now, and the levy is not very reliable. Not only are levies unwilling to leave their homes for the extended campaigns, they also have hardly time to train much less money to afford good weapons.The Caballarii are somewhat the exception to that rule. Still rich enough to have a horse, they also had enough time to train now and then, and they had capable weapons. Thus they form a reliable if not great cavalry force.
    {Light_Miles_descr_short}Caballarii simply means horsemen.

{Konnica}Konnica
    {Konnica_descr}Light Slavic cavalry armed with javelins and axes or maces.
    {Konnica_descr_short}Light Slavic cavalry armed with javelins and axes or maces

{Fyrd}Fyrd
    {Fyrd_descr}Saxon Levy. Axes, helm and leather-covered, bossed, shield.
    {Fyrd_descr_short}Axes, helm and leather-covered, bossed, shield.

{Frisian_Archers}Erzemon
    {Frisian_Archers_descr}Freemen archers. Bow and Langsaex, padded Gambesson and helm, decorated wooden shield.
    {Frisian_Archers_descr_short}Bow and Langsaex, padded Gambesson and helm, decorated wooden shield.

{butescarles}Butescarles
    {butescarles_descr}saxon seamen. Javelins and Saex-knives.
    {butescarles_descr_short}Javelins and Saex-knives.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 30, 2016 at 04:51 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

I am quite sure the CTD BUG is the same old CTD-bug that "Ulfhedinn" fixed. It may have returned when i removed the rebels from the descr_strat-file, as many triggers and stuff are based on the rebels being in the game.

I may try to merge my mod with the old 1.5 version (adding the music and other stuff without changing the starting positions and removing the rebels).

I managed to play 72 turns as the Swebiuö in the 1.5 version. But since i changed stuff regarding the rebels the CTD occur regularly between turn 33 and 45.

Maybe if i keep the regions and rebels as they were the game may work without CTD:s. I would of course like it if i were able to play the mod with all their regions from the beginning, but in the end it's more important to have a stable version. All the other fixes and changes will however be added. I just need to test if i can add those without provoking the CTD to return.

It seems my changes regarding starting regions and rebels in the Descr_strat-file is the main cause of the regular CTD:s between turn 33 & 45. The other crashes regarding traits and Gutland may or may not have been in the old version. I may have provoked the turn 5 to 6 Gutland crash by changing the win-conditions. Not sure about the traits if they worked in 1.5.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 30, 2016 at 07:13 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

The music has been added successfully to the original 1.5-version. It is save-game compatible. It's time to test if the bug fixing causes CTD:s or not, as it involves a changed EDU.

- The Havamal

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456